Worried About The Disappearance of Music CDs From The Market

SAREGAMA is giving a good discount. They call it monsoon offer where one can get 60% discount. I had a few HD songs in my cart but the amount was too high. This offer helped me to save a good amount!
Anyone has any idea about downloads from Sony India. I have not been able to locate one.
Afaik, Sony isn’t offering WAV downloads. Best you can manage will be from their CDs listed on amazon and other dealers

So conclusion, Keep the search for cds silently and grow your collection.People might think you as fool,But we would have a story to tell behind each Album, Music is about Emotion and only physical medium could quench the thirst IMHO.

In due course, I got many friends of same kind and started collecting the CD ripps for the albums which are not availale in CD or CDs are costly. Hope I would have time to listen my collection gradually and I never regret spending money on cds\cassette\LP :).

This post is triggering me to hold back the CDs that I wanted to sell. I feel that it is better to stack them up/listen occasionally when possible than just selling away each for the asking price of a Pre-recorded Cassette or even less!!

Like you have rightly felt & expressed, folks should understand the story & known ones should pass it on, to spread the value of these!

SAREGAMA is giving a good discount. They call it monsoon offer where one can get 60% discount. I had a few HD songs in my cart but the amount was too high. This offer helped me to save a good amount!
Anyone has any idea about downloads from Sony India. I have not been able to locate one.

hi Barun,

I saw this too. but I really didn't know what HD means. many of these music marketing companies, do not have a strong relationship with fraud. Once I got a USB card which was "HD" and it turned out to be high bit rate mp3 (320KBPS). I was tempted so if you did buy could you comment on the actual bit rate and the quality. (that's the other thing about saregama, many of their digital resources are direct LP lifts, many unfortunately not cleaned before ripping)

look forward to hearing your response.

hi Barun,

I saw this too. but I really didn't know what HD means. many of these music marketing companies, do not have a strong relationship with fraud. Once I got a USB card which was "HD" and it turned out to be high bit rate mp3 (320KBPS). I was tempted so if you did buy could you comment on the actual bit rate and the quality. (that's the other thing about saregama, many of their digital resources are direct LP lifts, many unfortunately not cleaned before ripping)

Quality is a mixed bag with Saregama. Many albums which were released 70-90s are upsampled mp3s. Newer ones with digital masters are lossless, you can go for them. The funny part is, the 90sec sample sounds good but the download can sound entirely different :)

hi Barun,

I agree completely that they should have clearly mentioned what HD means. I mean the bit rate, format etc. I had the same query and for which I contacted the customer care of SAREGAMA. Only after getting the clarification I proceeded with the purchase. I downloaded 4 songs initially.
The songs are in WAV format and bitrate is above 1400 kbps. I have a huge collection of 320 kbps songs and must say the songs which I purchased is a few times better. I would rate the quality above the FLAC collection which I have (approximately 200 songs). What I'd suggest is you download a few songs and compare with 320 kbps version of that song to get a fair idea.

P.S. - I think my Zensor 7 pair is yet to offer my the optimised fidelity since these are the early days for my setup. My experience may vary with others.

But I have collected almost all the albums i was looking for, still 100+ cds am looking for nominal price( as of today Ilayaraja\arr cds are 500+ Rs). Its easy to get english albums in cd format. So conclusion, Keep the search for cds silently and grow your collection.

In due course, I got many friends of same kind and started collecting the CD ripps for the albums which are not availale in CD or CDs are costly. Hope I would have time to listen my collection gradually and I never regret spending money on cds\cassette\LP :).
Investing ones money into music hardware is much satisfactory than spending the same on music streaming.

Saregama online purchases should be avoided. Their quality is pathetic.

But we need to move onto Tidal type of a service, not backwards. CD is better than current streaming services. Better yet, my CD Rips into FLACs/ALACs are better sounding than the streams.
This is evidently true. It's a well established fact.

It's easy for music houses and almost 80% of the listeners.

Lossless music is the most pleasing to ears & soul (only available as CDs or Vinyls or Hi-Res digital purchases)
+
Music on-the-go (streaming) is the need of the hour (you cannot carry CDs Vinyls around)
+
Music on demand is a better way to enjoy (multiple songs, from multiple albums, & not 1 single album start to end)

[Though you can only appreciate the intricacies of a song when you hear and album from start to the finish]

I think you should refer to my post here.

with cdps going out of fashion another issue being raised is how is the current generation of teenagers going to make a mixed tape / cd and woo a girl? one of the most romantic gestures is not going to be an option soon. i see a spike in sales of cadburys
They have Tinder these days.

Change is the only constant process. Popularity of mobile phone dependant music listening announced the death of physical medium. Now a days, easy availability of high speed internet is speeding up the process. Songs are easily available on youtube, free streaming is even better option than downloading and crowding the storage medium. Very cheap mobile-headphone combo can reproduce music. Quality doesnot count now a days. Very few people are listening to quality music reproduction using hifi gadgets with physical medium or paid subscription. Since music industry, as like any other industry, runs through the market demands, are now closing their physical media reproduction due to no demand. Digital music listening is the probable future now, but physical formats wont completely die, at least for few of us, just like, 78 rpm records are still available to buy.

Not only music CDs but Video Libraries are also dying
Video libraries died a decade or more ago with the increasing availability of cheap DVD Players, along with pirated DVD Discs. Now a days, torrent is there. Majority of the popular movies are available for download in very good format. Moreover, streaming service is there to watch movies. The situation in video industry is same as audio industry.

Video libraries died a decade or more ago with the increasing availability of cheap DVD Players, along with pirated DVD Discs. Now a days, torrent is there. Majority of the popular movies are available for download in very good format. Moreover, streaming service is there to watch movies. The situation in video industry is same as audio industry.

One niche area still exists. Blue ray and 4K. with master audio and DD+. They should concentrate on this.

One niche area still exists. Blue ray and 4K. with master audio and DD+. They should concentrate on this.
I have a decent collection of BR audio but feel it will die out if not already. Honestly I feel if streaming at higher quality will gain momentum for reasonable price, I will ditch my CD player and go after a a good DAC. Amazon HD will level the playing field and with Qobuz quietly lowering their prices I see hope in streaming.

Yes agreed, but they are very few in numbers. However the numbers are growing. Niche area for every format of either audio or video always existed and they will always exists.

Regarding blu ray, I can say that this format is not presently mass accessible. Original discs are very costly. Torrents are also very few in number. Pirated blu ray discs are appearing in the market. However, availability is very low. Weight for the introduction of cheap blu ray drive, player and blank discs. Same will happen here.

Yesterday I have seen blu ray drive for Rs 3500/- in aliexpress. Rims of 50 piece unbranded blu ray blank discs are also available for affordable price. The only shortcome is damn cheap blu ray players that can be affordable by lower income group of people. I think the time is coming when such player will hit the market. After that, we can see pirated blu ray discs here and there.

Hi Everyone, this is my first post here.
Need suggestion where to look in Chennai for local language CD and Hindi, if at all CD's are available(maybe the dumbest post)

This post is triggering me to hold back the CDs that I wanted to sell. I feel that it is better to stack them up/listen occasionally when possible than just selling away each for the asking price of a Pre-recorded Cassette or even less!!

Like you have rightly felt & expressed, folks should understand the story & known ones should pass it on, to spread the value of these!

Now, the scene or the mood is, as I have CDs & a player, I'm being 'pushed' to insert those & listen, by self..just to keep the machine running & to justify the money I'd invested in procuring both!

Kinda decided to sell my English CDs now. I've almost moved to streaming; more convenient & offers more/less the similar results for me. Happy 2020!

Last edited:
Forget audio CDs even blue rays are not released for new Tamil movies.
It is unfortunate that no blue rays released for Tamil movies. I used to collect Tamil movie songs blue rays, now they are not available as they are not releasing blue rays.
I have seen some places where they sell pirated blue rays for new movies but none are lossless ( true HD/ DTS master audio) just 5.1 :mad: and bad quality. Looks like slowly blue rays are also disappearing.

A lot of fantastic music on vinyl never made it to audio cassettes or CD. Likewise, plenty of music on audio CD has not yet surfaced on online streaming services. imo plastic rocks..digital sucks :cool:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back