XBMC Launcher

1. I think you have installed the option for custom shutdown menu which will show only three buttons. To get the original shutdown menu, just reinstall xbmc.

2. Does the remote appear as ehome device under device manager? To configure mce remote, use a tool like mceremotemapper.

1. I think you have installed the option for custom shutdown menu which will show only three buttons. To get the original shutdown menu, just reinstall xbmc.

2. Does the remote appear as ehome device under device manager? To configure mce remote, use a tool like mceremotemapper.

Thanks, Baiju, but if I re install XBMC will I lose all the movie info or do I have take back up?
2. I will check in device manager and let u know

Hi..I have a new Android ICS phone and want to use it as a remote for XBMC. From Google play I downloaded XBMC remote. Based on some googling I figure I have to enable in network settings of my PC XBMC - the two ALLOW PROGRMS and also ALLOW HTTP with 8080 as port. After that I am lost.

It says I need to enable my windows firewall. I tried but am sure got lost.

Also from mobile perspective what settings do I need to change/setup?

Also a side question - I got the micromax canvas 110 5 incher. Earlier I used a BB curve. Few days back I called Vodafone and asked them to make my SIM 3 G and also took a 1 GB data plan. Now on my phone against the signal bars - I dont see 3G - I only see a R which I believe means roaming. Also everytime I try and make a call - it says I am on roaming...how do I remedy this? I dont see anything under SIM management that will make this go away. Thx

Last edited:
Hi..I have a new Android ICS phone and want to use it as a remote for XBMC. From Google play I downloaded XBMC remote. Based on some googling I figure I have to enable in network settings of my PC XBMC - the two ALLOW PROGRMS and also ALLOW HTTP with 8080 as port. After that I am lost.

I think you need to go to the windows firewall settings where the xbmc is installed and allow the xbmc to send/receive control over http. Once that is done you can search/scan in your andriod phone with the xbmc remote control app the IP/pc name of the htpc will get listed just select it and you should be able to see the menu options like music, movies, videos etc.,

Thanks

I think the issue was I was typing 8080 after my IP address..turns out it takes 8080 by default and hence it counted 8080 twice. I just removed the 8080 and now it works fine. I am really amazed at this app as I am new to this plus its a hundred times faster than a physical remote:clapping: I was thinking of buying a physical MCE remote for around 2-3K which now I have for free!!

what else can an android phone do for audio-visual experience? Thx

I think the issue was I was typing 8080 after my IP address..turns out it takes 8080 by default and hence it counted 8080 twice. I just removed the 8080 and now it works fine. I am really amazed at this app as I am new to this plus its a hundred times faster than a physical remote:clapping: I was thinking of buying a physical MCE remote for around 2-3K which now I have for free!!

what else can an android phone do for audio-visual experience? Thx

Great that you found the problem and rectified it. Enjoy the xbmc remote app it is the best remote one can have for xbmc. I use the same for xbmc as well as MPC-HC and also in my music-pc for Foobar2000. My wife from the kitchen controls the music-pc using her andriod mobile. It is too good. You can explore the things like checking the youture video sample of the movie that you want to see, check the gist of the movie, actors thumb nails etc.,

so enjoy...

Also a side question - I got the micromax canvas 110 5 incher. Earlier I used a BB curve. Few days back I called Vodafone and asked them to make my SIM 3 G and also took a 1 GB data plan. Now on my phone against the signal bars - I dont see 3G - I only see a R which I believe means roaming. Also everytime I try and make a call - it says I am on roaming...how do I remedy this? I dont see anything under SIM management that will make this go away. Thx

This normally happens when your network uses another network for their 3G services. It's so common these days in India. Don't worry, just check the speed using speed test application from android play.

For xbmc remote, also have a look at Yatse. It's better than official app and got more features.

Hi Baiju, Sorry for long pause..had been out of home for long time..now back again..have you configured launcher to work with other skin as well?

It works with other skins too. I have added a few other features as well. Please see the xbmc forum thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798

I installed new version of XBMC launcher. It does work with other skins too. Thanks a lot. Now another problem that I'm facing is that whenever I shut down HTPC using MCE remote it gives a message that "the computer was not shut properly" and gives me options to start normally when I switch on HTPC next time. How do I use MCE remote to exit XBMC and then shut down HTPC? Please help.

Can you be more specific as how you shutdown pc using the mce remote?

1. Are you using the mce remote power button to start the xbmc power menu and select the shutdown from xbmc?
2. Which skin are you using?
3. Are you using the custom power menu if using confluence skin?

You can try disabling the menu 'Force close xbmc on sleep'. This will result in a normal shutdown instead of forced shutdown, if using the modified confluence shutdown menu.

Can you be more specific as how you shutdown pc using the mce remote?

1. Are you using the mce remote power button to start the xbmc power menu and select the shutdown from xbmc?
2. Which skin are you using?
3. Are you using the custom power menu if using confluence skin?

You can try disabling the menu 'Force close xbmc on sleep'. This will result in a normal shutdown instead of forced shutdown, if using the modified confluence shutdown menu.

Thanks Baiju, I'm using Zotac mini PC for HTPC. This PC comes with a MCE remote which I'm using for shutting down HTPC.
1. No I start HTPC locally using PC start button. I tried using remote but unable to do so.
2. I'm using Transparency skin.
3. I will try with confluence skin and inform u.
Also I will try disabling the menu " force close XBMC on sleep" pand see if I get same message

I think what you can do is go to the windows power settings and select the option something like "when i press the power button on my computer" choose "Shutdown". This will help the MCE remote send the power shut to shut down the PC similar to using the Start->Shutdown option directly in windows.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back