xiaomi Mi 4k Android Box ! HELP

Silentpro

hello guys ,
im thinking to buy xiaomi Mi 4k Android Box, for my AVR , i wanted to ask does this box plays Dolby atmos , DTS-X files from USB (Passthrough) ? with Kodi ?
I know nvidia Shield does best job , but my budget is tight so thought of mi 4k Box .. anyone using this box for playing DD+ , Dolby atmos , dtsX , Dolby TruHD ?
Also does it support 4k videos ? Such as HEVC formats ? H2.65 ? Please help

Link :

hello guys ,
im thinking to buy xiaomi Mi 4k Android Box, for my AVR , i wanted to ask does this box plays Dolby atmos , DTS-X files from USB (Passthrough) ? with Kodi ?
I know nvidia Shield does best job , but my budget is tight so thought of mi 4k Box .. anyone using this box for playing DD+ , Dolby atmos , dtsX , Dolby TruHD ?
Also does it support 4k videos ? Such as HEVC formats ? H2.65 ? Please help

Link :
Hello,
I was using Mi box 4k from 2017-2018. It could passthrough Atmos as well as DTS X (from USB) easily with kodi. But, while playing DTS HD files; the movie used to get freeze. OTT services like Prime, Netflix didn't support dolby 5.1 audio.
Now, using Shield 2017 version from 2019 onwards; so no complaints.

Hello,
I was using Mi box 4k from 2017-2018. It could passthrough Atmos as well as DTS X (from USB) easily with kodi. But, while playing DTS HD files; the movie used to get freeze. OTT services like Prime, Netflix didn't support dolby 5.1 audio.
Now, using Shield 2017 version from 2019 onwards; so no complaints.
Did DTS-X , DOLBY TRUEHD, DD+ , DOLBY ATMOS , Did these also getting freeze ?? Coz I read it was not able to passthrough dolby truehd. Ru sure of playing it frm usb ? I have firestick for OTT streaming . I just need this to play movies frm usb . Also wht was the max external hardisk supported by mi box ? 2tb ?

Did DTS-X , DOLBY TRUEHD, DD+ , DOLBY ATMOS , Did these also getting freeze ?? Coz I read it was not able to passthrough dolby truehd. Ru sure of playing it frm usb ? I have firestick for OTT streaming . I just need this to play movies frm usb . Also wht was the max external hardisk supported by mi box ? 2tb ?
No, only DTS HD MA movies used to get stuck. I was playing these movies through external HDD of 2 TB capacity. Rest all the audio codecs worked fine.

MI has removed these HD codecs from their box after Android 8.1 update. They don't even support passthrough

But KODI app does right? It has passthrough option in thier app .
I myself have tried using KODI 2 years back and it was passing ATMOS but recently when I tried the same, it was not working. I tried all settings and came to know that its the limitation of box's OS(may be due to licensing issue). They have now disabled it somehow

I myself have tried using KODI 2 years back and it was passing ATMOS but recently when I tried the same, it was not working. I tried all settings and came to know that its the limitation of box's OS(may be due to licensing issue). They have now disabled it somehow
Ohhh :( any recommendations? For playing all formats ? Other than nvidia shield pro .

Ohhh :( any recommendations? For playing all formats ? Other than nvidia shield pro .
I think Firestick 4k Supports all audio formats via streaming app. Not sure if it supports via KODI but still It will be better option than MI . Currently there is sale going on in amazon and you can get it for 3500

Last edited:
Mi Box with Android 8 and Kodi 18 (or lower) does passthrough Dolby True HD and DTS-HD-MA. If you upgrade Mi Box to Android 9 (no idea about 8.1), or use Kodi 19 or above, it does not pass through.

Mi Box with Android 8 and Kodi 18 (or lower) does passthrough Dolby True HD and DTS-HD-MA. If you upgrade Mi Box to Android 9 (no idea about 8.1), or use Kodi 19 or above, it does not pass through.
Agreed. It will be very tough to get an old MI Box with Android 8. Even I thought of rooting it and downgrading the OS, but that will kill Netflix and other OTA apps(due to licensing) so made peace with it.

Nvidia shield is the way to go and I am getting it soon :)

Agreed. It will be very tough to get an old MI Box with Android 8. Even I thought of rooting it and downgrading the OS, but that will kill Netflix and other OTA apps(due to licensing) so made peace with it.
Netflix and other OTA apps works fine on MiBox with Android 8.

You mean it does not work with rooted devices?

Hi,

Can fellow Mibox 4k owners confirm if it is able to decode/pass through Dolby digital 5.1 in Netflix/Prime/Disney+ via optical cable to AVR..?

Thanks.

Hi,

Can fellow Mibox 4k owners confirm if it is able to decode/pass through Dolby digital 5.1 in Netflix/Prime/Disney+ via optical cable to AVR..?

Thanks.
Last time when I checked, it was able to passthrough that. Not using MI Box for last 2 months

Guys, I have an issue with no 5.1 sound when playing files from usb with VLC, Kodi, MX etc. Tried already various options within Mi Box and players but still it outputs only PCM Stereo. Audio in players is recognized as 5.1 (AC-3, AAC) but output (HDMI to Denon AVR x1000) is only 2ch :/

That only happens with media files as Netflix or Youtube outputs full 5.1 sound.

Thoughts?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back