Can any Mi Box 4K current users confirm it will output 5.1 (Dolby Digital) via optical out?

sim_tcr

Hello,

Can any Mi Box 4K current users confirm it will output 5.1 (Dolby Digital) via optical out?
I searched forum and found few posts. Some say it does, some says it doesn't. Some says older version did. etc..

The reason I want to get this device is,

I have an old PC based home theatre 5.1 (Creative Inspire T6060) connected to optical to 5.1 analogue convertor . The convertor does take optical inputs.
I already confirmed that convertor does work with 5.1 audio by connecting the optical input of convertor to optical out on my PC and playing 5.1 audio test file.
I was hoping, if Mi Box 4K optical out outputs 5.1 (Dolby Digital) , I can connect it to convertor optical input and get 5.1 audio.

My tv is Hisense A71F 55inch, it does have optical out and Hisense said, it will output 5.1. But it did not. I already tested this with various sound options on settings. Details here

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello,

I searched forum and found few posts. Some say it does, some says it doesn't. Some says older version did. etc..

I have an old PC based home theatre 5.1 (Creative Inspire T6060) connected to optical to 5.1 analogue convertor . The convertor does take optical inputs.
I already confirmed that convertor does work with 5.1 audio by connecting the optical input of convertor to optical out on my PC and playing 5.1 audio test file.
I was hoping, if Mi Box 4K optical out outputs 5.1 (Dolby Digital) , I can connect it to convertor optical input and get 5.1 audio.

My tv is Hisense A71F 55inch, it does have optical out and Hisense said, it will output 5.1. But it did not. I already tested this with various sound options on settings. Details here

Thank you.

I dont see why it wouldn't, but have not verified myself.

Optical cannot go beyond 5.1 though (ie no Atmos etc).

Hello,

Thank you.
I have 3 of the Mi box 4K - and I can confirm it outputs 5.1 via the optical out. Just that you have to buy the specific cable (called Mini-TOS) which fits the 3.5mm port on the Mi box 4k.

I have 3 of the Mi box 4K - and I can confirm it outputs 5.1 via the optical out. Just that you have to buy the specific cable (called Mini-TOS) which fits the 3.5mm port on the Mi box 4k.
Thank you for the response.
I made this thread, as back then I was not able to make 5.1 directly from TV. So was was checking if Mi Box 4k could resolve my issue.
Then I played with Kodi (installed on TV) audio settings and all 5.1 issues are resolved.

Hey.. can you please confirm..does you receiver shows pcm on display or Dolby digital!!
Also I have a optical to optical cable..can I use one of the connector available online for changing optical to mini optical.
Will that work?

Hey.. can you please confirm..does you receiver shows pcm on display or Dolby digital!!
Also I have a optical to optical cable..can I use one of the connector available online for changing optical to mini optical.
Will that work?
I've disconnected the connection to my 5.1 system, instead routing it to a smaller/ cheaper 2.1 system and switched the 5.1 to my Mi 75 via EARC. Hence I can't say now whether it shows PCM or otherwise.

I believe those optical connectors should be fine, but YMMV

Will that work?
U can buy the mini toslink connector for optical cable. I purchased from amazon india and its working properly through my dac. But I’m 2 channel guy never try for 5.1.

Can anyone please confirm if the Mi box needs to be connected to a display (via HDMI) for it to output audio thru optical or aux? If so, does the display need to be powered for audio output?

Currently I have used the HDMI cable connected from MI box 4K to my 10yr old 7.1c channel onkyo av receiver and projector. it works perfectly only for dd.5.1 audio and no other audio like dts/dd thd/dts hd ma though my receiver is capable of decoding these formats(no Atmos/Bluetooth/wifi capability). I have connected 2 ceiling speakers(for future Atmos capability) and my receiver converts 5.1 to dolby digital EX which is kinda Atmos sound.

Can anyone please confirm if the Mi box needs to be connected to a display (via HDMI) for it to output audio thru optical or aux? If so, does the display need to be powered for audio output?
No, it need not be connected to a display. Audio is separate. I was using it as an audio cast device for sometime but it turned out to be very buggy after a year or so. So it went into the storage box.

No, it need not be connected to a display. Audio is separate. I was using it as an audio cast device for sometime but it turned out to be very buggy after a year or so. So it went into the storage box.
Many Thanx!

So it will work if i have it connected to a tv/monitor (switched off / on standby mode)?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back