XIAOMI MI LASER PROJECTOR purchased and installed ACOUSTICALLY TRANSPARENT DARK GREY DIY SCREEN

rbalagopalan

I was seriously following the launch of the Epson LS 100 UST Laser projector's launch in the first week of November last year just to acquire one from US for $3000/- through some one who will be travelling back to India. In the middle of November 2017 I was just curious to see the reviews of the newly launched Epson UST LS 100 on viewing four youtube video reviews (there were only four of them for this product at that time) I stumbled upon the video review of Xiaomi MI Laser Projector and there was abundant reviews which sucked me inside to the product and I was totally impressed by the Specifications and the picture and sound quality in the presented videos that too at the price of $1500/- (Only available in China at this price in MI store) so decided to buy one.

Searched all over the world for a shop to buy it for 1500 USD but in vain and in online it was quoted 2250 USD after upcoming Christmas Discount it was 1936$ including shipping to India Plus Import duties at actuals. Having known it is available for 1500$ in MI stores in China decided to take that route. So contacted my supplier ( Supplier of my materials for my Main business last 6 years) to whom I had placed some 6CBM of materials and the shipment was under preparation for dispatch. I had requested the marketing manager to buy one from the MI store and include it in the any one of the boxes and I will clear it here by paying duties. He did try all MI stores in Shanghai and no stock luckily he could locate one in Beijing and got it thru his friend to Shanghai and shipped it with my consignment to India / Chennai.

Two weeks in sailing. That was a long wait got the projector cleared from Customs first week of January 2018 and brought home my MI LASER PROJECTOR From my warehouse. Just switched it on. I had to download and install .apk file for the Menu Language to be English cause everything was in Chineese

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT my existing projector is a Panasonic AR100 also I had tried Panasonic 8000. Compared to these the MI Laser Projector is way ahead stunningly razor sharp images with extreme colour rendering and black cum contrast levels. When I had opened MS word file the letters were like viewing in 21" LED monitor and not like in a 115" projection screen. The built in Two way two channel speakers with a wave guide technology (as in Bose) are doing an amazing job compared to any LED TV. In fact whom ever had visited me to see this projector initially thought the audio is from large speakers. They were totally blown when I said the audio is from the Projectors in built speakers.

I have kept the projector almost just 35 cms from the screen to achieve 115 inches of projection which is amazing. The projector is with auto focus so incase if i move the near and far from the screen the focus is never compromised and it is instant and you will not even notice. When I had projected the video to my existing DALITE motorised screen the minute undulations in the screen were very much visible and even the mild dangling of the screen due to wind was creating a huge distraction in the image projected due the exponential zooming of the image with in a short distance.

So I had installed the fixed frame Acoustically transparent screen which I made my self and projected the image first in white screen with Black backup cloth the Image was too bright and enormous colour wash out was happening so changed to Dark Grey screen with the same Black back up cloth OMG what a transformation the Black levels and Contrast levels have improved like anything and the direct broad day sunlight hitting the screen from straight opposite to screen did less damage to PQ. In the night having the 14w LED bulbs ON did not matter at all we could watch picture as though watching in LED TV.

MI is not a native 4K projector but then it supports 4K files with their on board proprietary downscaling circuitry, The have native HDR10 processing and with adequate brightness which is the more important factor for 4K videos than simple 4K resolution. Played 4K videos from my INtel NUC 6i7 and the video was superior and never felt like from a projector. Unfortunately the present configuration of my NUC does not support HDR10 hence I could not try those video files. Cause HDR10 requires 7i7 processor with Intel 620 Iris Graphics. I have Power DVD 17 software which is the only certified HDR10 and Dolby Vision media player.

I take this opportunity to thank our forum member Elagoas for his thread on Acoustic transparent screen from where I could finalise on the screen material without a necessity to try various options and waste time.

As the +2 examinations round the corner my younger son in +2 I have Section 144 running in home to touch the entertainment gears. Probably will post more reviews after the examinations are over.

The video photos I have attached here are of Standard definition and not HD One photo is with Two 14watts LED bulbs ON other one is with NO bulbs ON but with some side lights from my dining space.
IMG_20180109_165624.jpgIMG_20180109_173803.jpgIMG_20180109_203124.jpgIMG_20180111_170648.jpgIMG_20180202_203256.jpgIMG_20180202_203328.jpgIMG_20180310_165846.jpgIMG_20180310_172855.jpg

Last edited:
The video photos I have attached here are of Standard definition and not HD One photo is with Two 14watts LED bulbs ON other one is with NO bulbs ON but with some side lights from my dining space.

Congrats on your new Mi Laser projector..That is some great DIY work..Image looks very good..It must be even better in the room..:)

Am glad that DIY AT screen thread was of help..

Although I don't have any immediate plans to buy a projector, the Mi projector caught my eye too. Mainly because it was short throw, laser and quite bright. But like you have mentioned, getting it to India may not be easy. Congrats on your projector. A detailed review when time permits please.

My guess MI may be lunch in india. I saw demo in MI store Chennai.

Wish they do..Given there affordable pricing of mobiles, laser projector should also be good..

Me never been to Mi store, but heard those stores are only to showcase/experience global Mi products..

May be if they get more responses/enquiry for projector, they might officially launch in India..

Congratulations @rbalagopalan . You touched that sensitive nerve of mine, and now I cant wait to get a hold of a new PJ. xiaomi mi laser is still my dream projector, and looking forward to get needed funds to acquire one. Thanks again for the detailed review.

I was seriously following the launch of the Epson LS 100 UST Laser projector's launch in the first week of November last year just to acquire one from US for $3000/- through some one who will be travelling back to India. In the middle of November 2017 I was just curious to see the reviews of the newly launched Epson UST LS 100 on viewing four youtube video reviews (there were only four of them for this product at that time) I stumbled upon the video review of Xiaomi MI Laser Projector and there was abundant reviews which sucked me inside to the product and I was totally impressed by the Specifications and the picture and sound quality in the presented videos that too at the price of $1500/- (Only available in China at this price in MI store) so decided to buy one.

Searched all over the world for a shop to buy it for 1500 USD but in vain and in online it was quoted 2250 USD after upcoming Christmas Discount it was 1936$ including shipping to India Plus Import duties at actuals. Having known it is available for 1500$ in MI stores in China decided to take that route. So contacted my supplier ( Supplier of my materials for my Main business last 6 years) to whom I had placed some 6CBM of materials and the shipment was under preparation for dispatch. I had requested the marketing manager to buy one from the MI store and include it in the any one of the boxes and I will clear it here by paying duties. He did try all MI stores in Shanghai and no stock luckily he could locate one in Beijing and got it thru his friend to Shanghai and shipped it with my consignment to India / Chennai.

Two weeks in sailing. That was a long wait got the projector cleared from Customs first week of January 2018 and brought home my MI LASER PROJECTOR From my warehouse. Just switched it on. I had to download and install .apk file for the Menu Language to be English cause everything was in Chineese

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT my existing projector is a Panasonic AR100 also I had tried Panasonic 8000. Compared to these the MI Laser Projector is way ahead stunningly razor sharp images with extreme colour rendering and black cum contrast levels. When I had opened MS word file the letters were like viewing in 21" LED monitor and not like in a 115" projection screen. The built in Two way two channel speakers with a wave guide technology (as in Bose) are doing an amazing job compared to any LED TV. In fact whom ever had visited me to see this projector initially thought the audio is from large speakers. They were totally blown when I said the audio is from the Projectors in built speakers.

I have kept the projector almost just 35 cms from the screen to achieve 115 inches of projection which is amazing. The projector is with auto focus so incase if i move the near and far from the screen the focus is never compromised and it is instant and you will not even notice. When I had projected the video to my existing DALITE motorised screen the minute undulations in the screen were very much visible and even the mild dangling of the screen due to wind was creating a huge distraction in the image projected due the exponential zooming of the image with in a short distance.

So I had installed the fixed frame Acoustically transparent screen which I made my self and projected the image first in white screen with Black backup cloth the Image was too bright and enormous colour wash out was happening so changed to Dark Grey screen with the same Black back up cloth OMG what a transformation the Black levels and Contrast levels have improved like anything and the direct broad day sunlight hitting the screen from straight opposite to screen did less damage to PQ. In the night having the 14w LED bulbs ON did not matter at all we could watch picture as though watching in LED TV.

MI is not a native 4K projector but then it supports 4K files with their on board proprietary downscaling circuitry, The have native HDR10 processing and with adequate brightness which is the more important factor for 4K videos than simple 4K resolution. Played 4K videos from my INtel NUC 6i7 and the video was superior and never felt like from a projector. Unfortunately the present configuration of my NUC does not support HDR10 hence I could not try those video files. Cause HDR10 requires 7i7 processor with Intel 620 Iris Graphics. I have Power DVD 17 software which is the only certified HDR10 and Dolby Vision media player.

I take this opportunity to thank our forum member Elagoas for his thread on Acoustic transparent screen from where I could finalise on the screen material without a necessity to try various options and waste time.

As the +2 examinations round the corner my younger son in +2 I have Section 144 running in home to touch the entertainment gears. Probably will post more reviews after the examinations are over.

View attachment 26302View attachment 26303View attachment 26306View attachment 26307View attachment 26309View attachment 26310View attachment 26311View attachment 26312
Wow a nice DIY work ...Congratulations for the new pj and the DIY screen installation. The picture looks stunning in the post itself even in the day light,I hope the picture will be much far sharper actually at ur home.The In wall LCR speakers & your Anthem gear looks amazing too .Post some movies pictures too like Batman/Darknight which gives more impression of the pj picture quality.

Nice! You are quite an early (non-Chinese) adopter? I had posted about Xiaomi Mi in this forum earlier as well - the specs and performance and value for money is just astounding!

From the youtube videos I have seen, it seems that the user interface is in Chinese/Mandarin. Were you able to get it working in English?

I did mention about it in the OP itself. I have searched and downloaded .APK file for the language options and installed. Almost all important menus I could get in English.

Apart from the above I have installed Netflix, Amazon prime, Airtel TV., Sun next, Kodi, plex.

The full functionality of the above apps I am yet to check. Which I will be doing in first week of March. (Courtesy my son's +2 and entrance exams).

I see my dream on this page. Amazing setup and I love it. I am from Chennai (Kolathur). I have a friend in China, planning to take his help in shipping the box to me. Before reaching to him, I can know how much is the exact cost of customs duty you have paid. Can you help me on what is the best way to ship the box to India.

Looking forward to your replay.

Duty is around 27.6% for projectors. The duty will be charged on cost+insurance+freight CIF. So be careful when you are calculating the landing cost.

IMO you can go to China and come back, all the same. This projector can be kept in the 23kg(international standard suitcase) and the projector ad such weighs only 9kg including packing. If some what is coming back from China can bring it then it's straight forward. You will save the freight and duty.

Not only you many have asked me, the present price in China in MI store is 10,499 RNB. AFAIK Mi's authorised online sales channel partner is Gearbest.com.

So if you are not getting a warning/notification while check out either " Local customs duties & taxes are extra payable while delivery" or " Duties & Taxes paid DTP" before payout then I have a million doubt on the sales web site.

Assuming that lightinthebox getts Dealer discount of say 20%, then including shipping and duty it's possible for them to give at that landing cost. But then no where in my googling I found any authentic info about this website.

I leave it to the due diligence of the interested person.

R. Balagopalan

Very simple Thiruppur in Tamilnadu.

In fact I wanted to get 1 point less grey and 2 point less grey so that I can consolidate on exactly which grey is optimised for brightness and contrast/black levels.

@rbalagopalan congratulations of such a marvelous gadget. I have a question, the weight of the device is 7kg so this can also be put it in cabin bag and can be bought in India while travelling. I would be travelling back to India in few days and was planning to take it along with me. I have a confusion whether to put it in cabin bag or in check in bag. Bit skeptical in keeping in check in bag as the way it is handeled.
Also do i have to pay custom on the airport if i bring it along with me? any suggestions wold be of great help.

The package weight is 8kgs. This can come comfortably in check-in suitcase. Some my friends and visitors have brought this from China and US.

They all have eluded customs. Even if there is customs you are going to pay 27.1% on ₹ 60000/- only after deducting the allowable duty free limit.

The package weight is 8kgs. This can come comfortably in check-in suitcase. Some my friends and visitors have brought this from China and US.

They all have eluded customs. Even if there is customs you are going to pay 27.1% on ₹ 60000/- only after deducting the allowable duty free limit.
Thanks for the response Rbalagopalan. Btw how did your friends managed to dodge the customs? And I am not able to understand how the customs would only be on 60k as the price is 1.3L on Gearbest

It is not the question of dodging. Since it goes in your suitcase you can comfortably walk out in green channel. If you are confronted by the customs officer declare him you have a projector which you have been using and you are being it for your own use, 99% of the times they permit you to walk out.

Otherwise also you are permitted to bring upto 40K INR items duty-free less that value from 1.3L you will be charged duty on 90K.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back