Xtreamer Pro vs. Seagate Freeagent Theater+ vs. iOmega Screenplay Director

adit1329

Hi All,

I am planning to purchase a Media Player and I am confused with the options.
I had almost made up my mind to purchase the Seagate model, and then I came across the Xtreamer Pro. But I have come across lot of negative comments. So could all the experts help me out......:sos:
Also, just wanted to check whether the Xtreamer plays NTFS format?
I know that the Seagate + does play NTFS...
Also, where can I buy these in India?
Please help!!!!!!!
Urgent!!!
Thanks in advance for all the help and advice...

Are you not considering PlayonHD there is a group buy program going from bangalore forum members ....

Check that too...

Hi All,

I am planning to purchase a Media Player and I am confused with the options.
I had almost made up my mind to purchase the Seagate model, and then I came across the Xtreamer Pro. But I have come across lot of negative comments. So could all the experts help me out......:sos:
Also, just wanted to check whether the Xtreamer plays NTFS format?
I know that the Seagate + does play NTFS...
Also, where can I buy these in India?
Please help!!!!!!!
Urgent!!!
Thanks in advance for all the help and advice...

Undoubtedly there have been a lot of complaints about xtreamer's ability to deliver in the past. there was good hardware let down by poor software. consumer expectations were not met. however, with firm 2.4.0 out, that's pretty much in the past. as a new buyer, you'll get a product which pretty much delivers what it claims. (which is a whole lot more than anything else at the same money)

I played a bit with my xtreamer after installing the new firmware and it's a whole new machine now :clapping: all hdmi problems (challenges with 1080p)seem to be a thing of the past as well.

cheers

Undoubtedly there have been a lot of complaints about xtreamer's ability to deliver in the past. there was good hardware let down by poor software. consumer expectations were not met. however, with firm 2.4.0 out, that's pretty much in the past. as a new buyer, you'll get a product which pretty much delivers what it claims. (which is a whole lot more than anything else at the same money)

I played a bit with my xtreamer after installing the new firmware and it's a whole new machine now :clapping: all hdmi problems (challenges with 1080p)seem to be a thing of the past as well.

cheers

Thanks, how much did it cost you and where can I buy it from in Bangalore?
So I can use NTFS partition right? So it would assist large files?

How much and where? Please suggest...

If you do some search on the forum you will know. I am not going to point you to that thread. Let it be some kind of search exercise for you to being with.

On your NTFS query, yes, all media players *should* support NTFS. Xtreamer, PlayOn, Seagate, iOmega all support NTFS.

If you ask me, I would choose between PlayOn and the xtreamer.

EDIT:

Too bad. Kitu pointed the thread. Anyways the OP should know the search would have pretty much landed him to that thread.

Thanks, how much did it cost you and where can I buy it from in Bangalore?
So I can use NTFS partition right? So it would assist large files?

the indian dealer is active on the forum (check the "for sale by dealer" section). I paid the price mentioned in the thread. while I personally had a great experience on service, others have not been so happy. so it may make sense to explicitly discuss and agree on the price, delivery schedule, returns policy, what's coming in the box etc.

yer.. it formats natively in NTFS. that makes it easyfor you to pull out the drive, connect it to you pc, copy the stuff you want at SATA speeds, and put it back into the xtreamer. copying via LAN, USB & eSATA is snail-like, slow and dodgy respectively (of course YMMV)

regards

If you do some search on the forum you will know. I am not going to point you to that thread. Let it be some kind of search exercise for you to being with.

On your NTFS query, yes, all media players *should* support NTFS. Xtreamer, PlayOn, Seagate, iOmega all support NTFS.

If you ask me, I would choose between PlayOn and the xtreamer.

EDIT:

Too bad. Kitu pointed the thread. Anyways the OP should know the search would have pretty much landed him to that thread.

:eek:...sorry did not go through the threads in my eagerness...
Also, you said you would choose between the PlayOn and Xtreamer...
Which would you choose??
I did not get that..

:eek:...sorry did not go through the threads in my eagerness...
Also, you said you would choose between the PlayOn and Xtreamer...
Which would you choose??
I did not get that..

I got both of them. Among the ones that you listed, PlayOn and Xtreamer are par on features/support etc. So I would recommend PlayOn or the Xtreamer and not the other two. These two are equally good.

Depending upon the price and any other requirement you might have, you can go for PlayOn or the Xtreamer. You wont be disappointed with either of them.

If you have any specific question on either of them, let me know.

Thanks to Kittu and Sivakuru for your help, I have zeroed in on the PlayOn.
I also did speak to Raghu of Aquatronics and he said it is not in stock.
What is the capacity of the HDD that it supports. The website says upto 2 TB, so can I use a 2 TB HDD? And which one can I use?
Also, can I play a 20 GB mkv file on the PlayOn?
What about the copy function, can I copy wirelessly?
Thanks again for all your help....:clapping:

What is the capacity of the HDD that it supports. The website says upto 2 TB, so can I use a 2 TB HDD? And which one can I use?

I guess you spoke to Ranga Prasad in AQtronics... Yes it supports as per website... Always use a external power hdd if you are using an external harddrive. I have played 20 GB files without issues.... Wirelessly I think you need to get the wireless - n usb card along with it(notsure about this). I used it extensively with all formats and it played everything and it never gets hot even after long hours..

Good Luck .. Ask all your questions to Ranga he will surely explain you ask him you would like to see the demo.... before buy he can show you all features..

:cool:

PlayOn - No doubt is a very good player. Are you planning to buy the PlayOn mini or the regular/bigger one?. The mini does not have provision for any internal HD.

The bigger one has one slot for internal (3.5" SATA?) HD. The biggest AFAIK internal HD I think available in the market is 2 TB ( I may be wrong - there may be bigger sizes available). Anyways 2 TB will be supported.

I have the mini which does not have an internal slot. I have connected a 1 TB Iomega external HD to it. However I dont see any problem if you opt for any *reputed/known* brand of 2 TB internal HD. The PlayOn would anyway format it (from what I read) the first time you insert the HD into it. So I assume there wont be any compatibility/usage issue.

Ofcourse you can play any size file to play on your PlayOn. 20 GB should not be a problem definitely.

Wireless copy did not work all that well on my mini. It used to hang up and freeze. The bigger PlayOn however AFAIK does not have this problem.
It is about time that you create an account and start browsing the playon forums. Link is here:

A.C. Ryan • View forum - Playon!HD Series

PlayOn - No doubt is a very good player. Are you planning to buy the PlayOn mini or the regular/bigger one?. The mini does not have provision for any internal HD.

The bigger one has one slot for internal (3.5" SATA?) HD. The biggest AFAIK internal HD I think available in the market is 2 TB ( I may be wrong - there may be bigger sizes available). Anyways 2 TB will be supported.

I have the mini which does not have an internal slot. I have connected a 1 TB Iomega external HD to it. However I dont see any problem if you opt for any *reputed/known* brand of 2 TB internal HD. The PlayOn would anyway format it (from what I read) the first time you insert the HD into it. So I assume there wont be any compatibility/usage issue.

Ofcourse you can play any size file to play on your PlayOn. 20 GB should not be a problem definitely.

Wireless copy did not work all that well on my mini. It used to hang up and freeze. The bigger PlayOn however AFAIK does not have this problem.
It is about time that you create an account and start browsing the playon forums. Link is here:

A.C. Ryan • View forum - Playon!HD Series

Thanks for your help..
I have decided to go for the PlayOn HD+, The bigger one with Internal slot.
I plan to use either a Samsung or the WD 1 or 2 TB HDD.
I was wondering if procuring from the US would be cost effective and that too during Christmas?

I guess you spoke to Ranga Prasad in AQtronics... Yes it supports as per website... Always use a external power hdd if you are using an external harddrive. I have played 20 GB files without issues.... Wirelessly I think you need to get the wireless - n usb card along with it(notsure about this). I used it extensively with all formats and it played everything and it never gets hot even after long hours..

Good Luck .. Ask all your questions to Ranga he will surely explain you ask him you would like to see the demo.... before buy he can show you all features..

:cool:
I plan to buy the bigger PlayOn so it does support internal HDD. So I do not understand the external part, could you please elaborate..
You get the wireless router along with the player (offer is on)
Thanks for your replies

Thanks for your help..
I have decided to go for the PlayOn HD+, The bigger one with Internal slot.
I plan to use either a Samsung or the WD 1 or 2 TB HDD.
I was wondering if procuring from the US would be cost effective and that too during Christmas?

Dont you want to enjoy the BRrips till Christmas , besides I dont see there is major price diff in external HDDs ... You get a WD 1TB for 3750 on ebay.....with a 3 year warranty.

Do not buy the internal harddisk first buy an external one and make a good collection and then load up into the internal drive later as keepers. :cool:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back