Yamaha 100W NS SW - Suggest me the best combination

manojdaran

Im planing to build a theater room. Not interested in Sony/JBL/Samsung home theater systems. Want to actually build one. Here are the things that I shortlisted, please go through this and comment. Sub woofers and receivers are based on my budget.

SUB WOOFER - Yamaha 100W NS SW, Pioneer S-51W 150W, Taga Harmony TSW-90 v.3 90W RMS / 250W

AV RECEIVER - Pioneer VSX330, Yamaha HTR 3067

SATELLITE - Taga Harmony TAV-506 V.2 540W

Reg, satellite speakers, Im so confused. I have spare John Barrel satellites with me that roughly make 5 x 30W. I also like to have 2 tower speakers as Front and JB for rear and center. Please go through my selections and give me suggestions.

Thanks

Hello @manojdaran

Welcome to HFV. What is your overall budget?
Since you are planning on building HT setup, I would suggest you to go for newer AVRs like yamaha 385, 485 etc or Marantz 1508 which are around 35k.

I am not very experienced but I think your speaker selection is good. I have heard taga 5.0 they are quite good. You can even ignore subwoofer for now and just buy good avr and taga if you are short on budget and add good 10 inch woofer later.

Cheers!

Thanks. I think of the reverse way. First buy a 10" Sub most probably Yamaha SW NS 100W. I have 20W Satellite speakers [5Qty]. A/V receivers are pretty costly, so first priority is an AVR and a Sub.

35K to 40K. Inclusive of everything. Like I said I got some speakers 20-30W, that I might use. There is the confusion. If I get everything under 35-40 that's great. If I dont then Sub and avr is fine.

Last edited:
Its john barrel and impedance is marked 4-8 ohms

Then you can use it with the AVR..

35K to 40K.

You can use this budget for an entry level AVR + 10/12 inch sub-woofer.. Later, you can upgrade speakers one by one if needed..

Consider Taga Harmony TSW series subwoofer.. TSW90/120/200, which ever is aval.. Most of these are between 18 ~ 25K..

Thanks bro. like someone said earlier how about TAV 506 5.0 speakers and an avr. Is it worthy? or like you said TSW sub + my old jb speakers and an avr?

Thanks bro. like someone said earlier how about TAV 506 5.0 speakers and an avr. Is it worthy?

If you buy new AVR + Taga 506 5.0, then you won't haave budget for sub.. Your set-up will be 5.0

or like you said TSW sub + my old jb speakers and an avr?

Since you already have 5 pieces of JB 4-8 Ohms speakers, you can get AVR + Sub.. This will make it 5.1 set-up.. For movies, a sub is always good.. Your satellites can do do the duty for a while until you upgrade your 5 speakers.. With a sub is always good..

So, my sound experience will be great if I start with a Sub+Avr rather than a 5.0+avr ?? If so, I have chosen Yamaha SW NS100. Is it a wiser choice than TSW90 ?

So, my sound experience will be great if I start with a Sub+Avr rather than a 5.0+avr ??

Yes.. A Sub will give you more oomph than a towers for movies..

If so, I have chosen Yamaha SW NS100. Is it a wiser choice than TSW90 ?

I hate to say "up your budget".. But see if you can up by a small amount.. If so consider TSW 200, a 12 inch subwoofer for 26K on amazon.in..

TSW 200 compatible with Pioneer Vsx330 ?

Yes.. It is an active sub & the AVR is with sub-pre-out..so no worries there..

Looking at the rear images of the Pioneer VSX 330 AVR, it is mentioned as speaker impedance as " 6 - 16 Ohms".. So there is a probability it may/may not work with your 5 pieces of JB speakers.. My guess is, it should work..
812n3ND4yAL._SL1500_.jpg

So consider other 5.1 entry level models from other brands that offer 4 Ohm support as alternatives..

Thanks bro. Can you suggest one?

Looks like most entry level AVR support from 6 Ohms - 16 Ohms.. So not much choices there..

But if you are fine to consider used AVR, for the same budget as a new 5.1 AVR, chances are that you can get a good one that can handle 4 Ohms too..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back