Yamaha 863 for music

sure vortex,

I mostly listen Indian & few western rock like pink fld, dire str, genesis etc. So will surely audition PSB, though yet to find the place where I can audition them at Delhi.

Meanwhile I also look forward to your suggestions / remarks on two options I propose in my earlier post in this thread?

Last edited:
Option I : Should buy a dedicated 5.1 speaker system like Jamo A102 HSC 5.1or Energy take 5.1. Will serve the purpose of movies and also use its sub for music with my BPL speakers. Sub will not enhance the sound stage but may add additional power at lower volumes for lower spectrum ? In this case I will set BPL speakers to zone 2 while 5.1 to main. Now problem lies in how to use it as 2.1, I mean using simultanously 2.0 in zone 2 and .1 with it. Is it possible?

I am little confused with your objectives, but let me answer to what I think you are getting at. A 5.1 set using satellite speakers will be a complete waste for music. It is all right in a small room (< 150 sq. feet) for watching a movie, but will fail for any serious listening to music. For one, satellites are shrill, and will certainly need the use of a sub. But, as I said elsewhere, music is transferred only in stereo at least preferably.

Unless I am mistaken, an AVR can play only one zone at a time.

If you want to save space, you can look at some bookshelves. They are far better.

If you want to just add surrounds to your existing BPLs, companies such as PSB and QA sell surrounds and centre separately. You don't have to buy a full 5.1.

Option II : Buy a pair of floor standers and centre and use BPL as rear (not going to throw away BPL:indifferent14:. All speakers will be set as 'Large'. Here I will request U to suggest me 2/3 good speakers brands which may be good match to Ym 863. In this case will a sub required for home theater purposes???

A list a brands have already been suggested to you. You MUST audition the speakers yourself before buying. Since you are unhappy with your existing BPLS, this becomes even more important.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am little confused with your objectives, but let me answer to what I think you are getting at. A 5.1 set using satellite speakers will be a complete waste for music. It is all right in a small room (< 150 sq. feet) for watching a movie, but will fail for any serious listening to music. For one, satellites are shrill, and will certainly need the use of a sub. But, as I said elsewhere, music is transferred only in stereo at least preferably.

Unless I am mistaken, an AVR can play only one zone at a time.

I am sorry my post caused confusion......

Let me get it straight...suppose I buy a 5.1 set with setelites & sub and connect it in main zone to serve the movie purpose. Now I dont' feel my BPL are that bad & I will not throw them away... and with 863 they are quite musical, only I want them to perform better.... so I connect them as 'front B' and use them for music in the same room. OK.
Now the Sub of 5.1 is already connected with LFE channel, so can it be used with front B speakers for music???? I may have to set front B speakers as small .... not sure..may have to check the manual but you may throw some light since you has set it earlier for one of ur friend...

Problem with bookshelf is that they need costly stands and has to be kept some distance away from walls... Satelites can be mounted on walls... yes they are not for music I fully agree.

regards.

If you dont want bookshelves, then you can look at floorstanders. The thing is sand64, if you want a solution that is better than your BPL's, then your hanging onto them is not going to be too much of a possibility. Unless you are going to use them as your rears in a HT setup. And that might not be a bad choice.

If you state a budget, the members I am sure would be happy to suggest options within that.

Now the Sub of 5.1 is already connected with LFE channel, so can it be used with front B speakers for music???? I may have to set front B speakers as small .... not sure..may have to check the manual but you may throw some light since you has set it earlier for one of ur friend...

I don't think it is possible if you are playing just zone-B, but the only way to check is to go thru the manual or otherwise connect the sub and check it out. Does your AVR have the display indicators for each channel, which shows the speakers that are being used?

Generally there is an option in all the AVR's in which you can choose the speakers which you wana use with speakers A or B and you can also use the subwoofer with any of these speakers configuration, so in your case too if you want to use a sub sat ssystem like Jamo A102 then its Sub could be used with the BPL towers which you intend to use with speaker B terminal in your AVR. Please read the AVR mannual and there in the speakers Configuration settings you will find the instructions for doing the same, but mind you here that in the case of pure direct mode your SUb won't work in any of the speaker configuration.
You can also consider Q Acoustics 1010i Package as the solution for your movie needs and costs mere 50K.

The thing is sand64, if you want a solution that is better than your BPL's, then your hanging onto them is not going to be too much of a possibility. Unless you are going to use them as your rears in a HT setup. And that might not be a bad choice.

If you state a budget, the members I am sure would be happy to suggest options within that.

Agreed vortex, atleast let me use them as rears. I have been living with them since last 13 years. In fact when I auditioned WH 9.5 with marantz amp., the sound stage was only slightly better than my BPL combo (and I auditioned using my own CDs). I have a budget of max 70k, and additional requirement shall be fronts, centre & sub (not sure if sub is required if I buy a pair of FS)

I don't think it is possible if you are playing just zone-B, but the only way to check is to go thru the manual or otherwise connect the sub and check it out. Does your AVR have the display indicators for each channel, which shows the speakers that are being used?

My AVR has a butten marked 'speakers'. When I press it, display changes from front A to Front B to front AB to off/nil. In the terminals side, it has a pannel containing 7 terminals marked as 'front A' 'centre' 'surround' & 'surround back/bi-amp'. And there is another pair of terminal marked as 'front B/zone B/zone 2/presence. I dont have sub otherwise I would have tried it. All I have a pairs of BPL and a pair of bookshelves. I am yet to buy and depending upon ur suggestions.

cheers

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Thanks for all ur contributions in this thread.

Overall I liked Yammaha 863, it is open but not bright, user interface is simple with good musicality. Though I miss something in its 2 channel performance, but perhaps that is with every AVR? U will miss some bottom line in 2 channels. This situation was awfully pronounced in Sherwood AVR. So may think of having a seperate stereo system in next two years or so.

But I wish to add good 'speaker set' to my 863 in next 3-4 months. I am presently open to Sub+satelite or full scale FS+BS combo as each has its pro & cons.....slighly tilted towards FS+BS.

Surely ur suggestions will be lot helpful.... thanks again...

and suggestions from members who know 863 are specially requested so that I can zero in on speakers.

cheers

hi..
the list of FS that I categorized are all demoed with Yam863..

Also, what I would suggest is that If you have invested a big amount in purchasing a decent AVR such 863, either go for very good BS (starting 20k) or very good FS (starting 50k), don't compromise in between.

But I wish to add good 'speaker set' to my 863 in next 3-4 months. I am presently open to Sub+satelite or full scale FS+BS combo as each has its pro & cons.....slighly tilted towards FS+BS.

Surely ur suggestions will be lot helpful.... thanks again...

and suggestions from members who know 863 are specially requested so that I can zero in on speakers.

cheers

Do a search on the forum you will find lots of opinions and experience based suggestions for speakers that pair with 663 and 863

sand64..
i too have yam863 and with my limited capabilities i wd rate the following FS best matching to it in order of preference:
1) dali ikon 6
2) quad 22L2
3) B&W 684
4) dali lector 6
5) tannoy F3
6) wharfe 10.5
7) jamo 405
8) wharfe 9.6
9) tannoy F4
10) Q-Acoustics 1050i

i still am waiting to audition mission/MA/PSB before making the final call..
hope this helps you shortlisting..

Thanks jayad,

I have auditioned Wharfe 9.5, 10.5 & QA 1050i in Delhi. QA was good, but found WH somewhat lacking in detail, ... only slightly better than my BPL. WH 10 series is bit brighter...Maybe I should have another audition.

My budget as now is 50k. So I am confused between a pair of FS or BS+Sub as front. Generally prefer FS as they have more detail & can stand on their own, but bulky for people having transferable job. I prefer open soundstage with good bass.

Please indicate, which of the above are within my price range and can be audition/available in Delhi.

thanx again.

Last edited:
Thanks jayad,

I have auditioned Wharfe 9.5, 10.5 & QA 1050i in Delhi. QA was good, but found WH somewhat lacking in detail, ... only slightly better than my BPL. WH 10 series is bit brighter...Maybe I should have another audition.

My budget as now is 50k. So I am confused between a pair of FS or BS+Sub as front. Generally prefer FS as they have more detail & can stand on their own, but bulky for people having transferable job. I prefer open soundstage with good bass.

Please indicate, which of the above are within my price range and can be audition/available in Delhi.

thanx again.

From all of your List above I think that only DALI lector, Wharfedale, Jamo, and Q Acostics would fall into that budget of yours.
For Dali Contact Mr. Tanuj at Sight and Sound Okhla Sight And Sound India
For Wharfedale and Quad Contact Denny at Bass & Treble at 9999016124
For Jamo Contact Cinebels :Cinebels-The Jamo Shop
M/s Decibels India B - 43, Greater Kailash - I, South Delhi, Delhi, 110048, India
011 41633333?
B&W speakers you can Audition at A2V which is located at Select City Walk Mall (2nd Floor), Saket, New delhi.

Last edited:
Do a search on the forum you will find lots of opinions and experience based suggestions for speakers that pair with 663 and 863

I did make a search on the forum, but no clear option & made me more confused. So I request Yamaha owners to suggest.

Also suggest between a pair of FS OR a pair of BS+Sub. How does polk RTI series goes with Yamaha specially RTI A7 & A5. Also want to know about KEF IQ50.

thanks.

Also suggest between a pair of FS OR a pair of BS+Sub. How does polk RTI series goes with Yamaha specially RTI A7 & A5.

thanks.

I would not suggest you to buy Polk Rti A7 with your AVR as these speakers need good amount of Amplifier power to perform at its best, since these speakers have one pair of 6.5" woofer in it so I would recommend them if your amplifier is capable of atleast providing around 140 watts of contineous power to them on each channel. For your needs Rti A5 would suffice but they need to be paired with a matching subwoofer to complete the frequency table and to fill out the low end part of your Music as well as Movies, otherwise they are very good speakers and are more into VFM propositions.

For your needs Rti A5 would suffice but they need to be paired with a matching subwoofer to complete the frequency table and to fill out the low end part of your Music as well as Movies, otherwise they are very good speakers and are more into VFM propositions.

Thanks ashish

So U feel that polk RTI will suit Yamaha. Some members have suggested that with yamaha, they tends to be a bit bright?
Look wise they seems good on their website. However as u say, about adding a sub to complete the frequency range, In that case I may even go for RTi A1or A3 to save cost? How is PSW500? You youself are having RTis.

with 50k you open up a lot of options..and now since you have choice you might have to take more factors into account..
1) What is the room size/listening distance/distance from wall.
--For FS to achieve its actual potential you need a minimum of 10-12ft width(2 ft apart from the walls/8ft in between), 15ft lenght(2 ft from wall/10ft listening distance)
2) What kind of listening you do?
--If its mostly music, then BS/Sub is the best combo. But if you would be more into movies, less in music then I feel a good pair of FS without a sub would do the job.
3) Are you and your neighbours ready for that kind of power?
--If you have a dedicated room, you should definately go for FS, but if it is living room, with windows/doors that might leak sound, then you might have to settle for BS
4) Room Acoustics?
--Do you have echo absorbers/heavy curtains etc.. to absorb that extra sound.

I can only suggest what I have auditioned thus far
within 50k here are your choices..again in order of preference.

FS:
Dali Lector 6 - 50-55k
MA RS6 (Heavy discounts available - 20%) so 50-55k, but sadly you wont be able to audition this in delhi.
Wharfe 10.5 - 38k
Jamo 405 - 30-33k
JBL - CR Park (cant remember the model but was roughly 40-45k)
Tannoy F3 - 20k
Tannoy F4 - 30k
Q-Acoustics 1050i - 36k
MS Aviano 6 - 36k (frankly I didnt like this much)

BS:
Quad 11L2 - 27k
B&W 684 - 44k
Dali Ikon 1 - 33k
Dali Lector 1 - 20k
Tannoy F1 custom - 16k
Aviano 1 - 18k

I have not auditioned much BS so not much exp

The best Sub that I liked was Dali's (Concept/Lektor - dont remember)

Although I may be wrong, but I didnt like any of the Polk's, demoed Rti FS's and liked tannot F1 better, even being a BS.
Also I have not demoed Kef IQ's with Yam, but got a chance to compare them with Lektor 6, while pairing with a NAD amp, and immediately saw the difference - Lektor was far far better.

with 50k you open up a lot of options..and now since you have choice you might have to take more factors into account..
1) What is the room size/listening distance/distance from wall.
--For FS to achieve its actual potential you need a minimum of 10-12ft width(2 ft apart from the walls/8ft in between), 15ft lenght(2 ft from wall/10ft listening distance)
2) What kind of listening you do?
--If its mostly music, then BS/Sub is the best combo. But if you would be more into movies, less in music then I feel a good pair of FS without a sub would do the job.
3) Are you and your neighbours ready for that kind of power?
--If you have a dedicated room, you should definately go for FS, but if it is living room, with windows/doors that might leak sound, then you might have to settle for BS
4) Room Acoustics?
--Do you have echo absorbers/heavy curtains etc.. to absorb that extra sound.

Thanks jayad,

My answers are as below..

1. Present room is 16 x 16 ft. However rooms go changing every 2-3 years, as I am on transferable job.
2. 60% music. Mostly hindi and some rock of 80s. But what you have written is true or it should be vice versa??? I mean should it be FS for music & BS+Sub for movies??
3. No problem of neighbours.;) Do not listen at very high volumes.
4. Normal furniture & curtains.

Will try to audition dali. I am getting very conflicting views on polk, so will try rti also. Where I can audition Tannoy F1 custom in delhi area?

cheers.

Last edited:
hi sands,

You've created quite a stir here.. after reading your concerns on lack of punch and detail.. i owned a yamaha AVR and to run the setup on 2.1 there's something called a "2 channel Stereo" mode on the AVR along with 7 channel stereo. try that it will give u 2.1 sound. also AVR's dont do music very well.. thats the reason i sold mine. you could add a SUB it will make a big difference if u dont wanna purchase speakers.

Back