Yamaha A-S2000 experience

drk99

Hi there, I don't think I have ever posted on this forum, a recent bitter experience however made me want to share my experience and hopefully prevent others from making the same mistake I made.

Back in 2012 i decided to buy my self a good high end setup purely for music. Since Yamaha was the only company back then to have a registered company in India, it seemed like the safest option to stick with. A-S2000 and a matched Superaudio CD player are what I had purchased from Yamaha and it was all good for a while.

Troubles started last year in November 2017 with the Amp tripping randomly and going into protection mode. I did a quick verification of connections and found that the problem persisted with everything disconnected as well, so I sent it to the Yamaha registered address with my driver to check for problems and to get it working again.
To my surprise, yamaha does not have a service center of their own, and I was guided to third party repair shops by Yamaha. The first place didnt have an engineer available and after two weeks I had to take it to the second shop yamaha suggested.

Its been 5 months, and still no word. Every time I call, I'm told its almost done, just give us a few days more cause replacing the PCB where they cant identify the problem will cost 38k . Fed-up with all this I decided its time to speak to some one high up in the company to clear things out, but when you call Yamaha India, you only get to speak with the person who picked up the phone, they dont pass the calls to senior people and they dont give names or email ids either. Interestingly, yamaha india doesn't have an email address on their website where you as a customer get to interact with the company.

I finally decided to take the matter to the Japanese headquarters. They do have a feedback form, but it needs to be filled in Japanese. I had to translate everything including my name into Japanese to fill that form. Within a matter of hours I received an email saying that we have forwarded this email to the concerned Indian counterpart and I shouldn't replay to this email.

Fair enough, I didn't reply to that email, and neither did the concerned indian :)

All this put together is quite a bit disappointing, specially when I consider the fact that this was the most expensive amplifier Yamaha had to sell at that point in time (I paid more than a lakh for the amp alone), world wide and I wouldn't advise any one spending their hard earned money buying from a company that just doesn't give a shit about its customers.

This is just my experience, thought id share.

It must be understood that buying high end AV in India means you are are pretty much on your own for service. There are just a few established players who have set up shop to carry out repair. I can recall only Onkyo and Pro Fx that support the brands they sell. However; most of it is indeed a part swap which results in huge repair costs (Post warranty repairs). A repair attempt is rarely carried out. A few boutique dealers such as The Listening Room offer more personal support. This is not to be expected by mainstream players though.

Might be worth using a vacuum cleaner to blow the internals of your amplifier. Moisture and dust can cause such problems.

Yamaha AS 2000 power supply is very much sensitive to the voltage fluctuations and it goes into protection mode even in slightest change in voltage. I am having same amplifier and to prevent it to go into protection mode, I am using constant voltage transformer and i dont have any issue with fluctuations now. Its better , not to give it to any person to change the part or rectify the issue, because the most beautiful part of this amp is its power supply and because of its frequent protection mode issue , company has stopped its production in 2012.
This amp is very good amp for its price point. Keep it and use CVT. Just my 2 cents

Hi there, I don't think I have ever posted on this forum, a recent bitter experience however made me want to share my experience and hopefully prevent others from making the same mistake I made.

Back in 2012 i decided to buy my self a good high end setup purely for music. Since Yamaha was the only company back then to have a registered company in India, it seemed like the safest option to stick with. A-S2000 and a matched Superaudio CD player are what I had purchased from Yamaha and it was all good for a while.

Troubles started last year in November 2017 with the Amp tripping randomly and going into protection mode. I did a quick verification of connections and found that the problem persisted with everything disconnected as well, so I sent it to the Yamaha registered address with my driver to check for problems and to get it working again.
To my surprise, yamaha does not have a service center of their own, and I was guided to third party repair shops by Yamaha. The first place didnt have an engineer available and after two weeks I had to take it to the second shop yamaha suggested.

Its been 5 months, and still no word. Every time I call, I'm told its almost done, just give us a few days more cause replacing the PCB where they cant identify the problem will cost 38k . Fed-up with all this I decided its time to speak to some one high up in the company to clear things out, but when you call Yamaha India, you only get to speak with the person who picked up the phone, they dont pass the calls to senior people and they dont give names or email ids either. Interestingly, yamaha india doesn't have an email address on their website where you as a customer get to interact with the company.

I finally decided to take the matter to the Japanese headquarters. They do have a feedback form, but it needs to be filled in Japanese. I had to translate everything including my name into Japanese to fill that form. Within a matter of hours I received an email saying that we have forwarded this email to the concerned Indian counterpart and I shouldn't replay to this email.

Fair enough, I didn't reply to that email, and neither did the concerned indian :)

All this put together is quite a bit disappointing, specially when I consider the fact that this was the most expensive amplifier Yamaha had to sell at that point in time (I paid more than a lakh for the amp alone), world wide and I wouldn't advise any one spending their hard earned money buying from a company that just doesn't give a shit about its customers.

Hi,

It is sad that you had to face this.

I was under the impression that Yamaha has their establishment somewhere in Delhi / Gurugram.......

Would suggest that you post this experience in the "Yamaha Owners Thread" which will be very helpful to the owners / users.....they need to make sure that they don't face the same music within warranty or out of warranty period....

And that is why I always buy abroad as none of the Indian distributors/dealers can be relied on...Over here the problem is not Yamaha but the Indian distributor... No point paying the exorbitant mark ups when this is the state of affairs... Sorry for your troubles sir...

Very Sad situation, this is fact with most of brands, I had to face this kind of situation recently with the Panasonic receiver. First of all they don't have required spears and take time for months to answer you. At last they will tell you that spears not available since model is outdated (changed). very sadly finally that product had to move to garbage

I have junked a few pieces of equipment as well, some costing quite high. Sorry to hear the OP is facing issues with service out of warranty but that is the rule rather than the exception in India. One option for OP is try to get a local technician look it at and then try to contact Yamaha Japan for parts. It works sometimes but many manufacturers will not sell parts outside of their authorized warranty repair shops. Or else look at ebay/other online sources for parts.
Cheers,
Sid

Hey hi,

Welcome to the forum. That's really sad and surprising. With the number of products Yamaha has in India, they ought to have authorised service centres.

Have you searched for the service centres on this link https://in.yamaha.com/en/support/service_locator/

MaSh

Thanks for your comments, the service centers discussed in my post are from these very repair shops.
Not one of them is operated by Yamaha. Their competence is highly questionable and limited to replacing parts that seem to have let the magic smoke out.

Yamaha AS 2000 power supply is very much sensitive to the voltage fluctuations and it goes into protection mode even in slightest change in voltage. I am having same amplifier and to prevent it to go into protection mode, I am using constant voltage transformer and i dont have any issue with fluctuations now. Its better , not to give it to any person to change the part or rectify the issue, because the most beautiful part of this amp is its power supply and because of its frequent protection mode issue , company has stopped its production in 2012.
This amp is very good amp for its price point. Keep it and use CVT. Just my 2 cents

I saw your earlier posts praising this very amplifier and I really am glad yours is still healthy :)

on a different note though, a CVT is only good for electrical loads where the bulk of the current being drawn is inductive e.g. the compressor of your air conditioner or where there is gross voltage variation like in rural areas where you might end of getting 180v instead of 230V.

The best protection for electronics comes from Double Conversion Online UPS that totally isolates your load form incoming supply votages related problems.

Just my 2 cents too :)

I saw your earlier posts praising this very amplifier and I really am glad yours is still healthy :)

on a different note though, a CVT is only good for electrical loads where the bulk of the current being drawn is inductive e.g. the compressor of your air conditioner or where there is gross voltage variation like in rural areas where you might end of getting 180v instead of 230V.

The best protection for electronics comes from Double Conversion Online UPS that totally isolates your load form incoming supply votages related problems.

Just my 2 cents too :)
It is quiet debatable discussion about CVT and UPS...but I still believe in post number #3 in below discussion...you can read further for justification provided by the same FM.

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/power-games-servo-stabilizer-cvt-or-online-ups.15235/

Feels Sad when your Most Loved device for years goes for repairs, and no clear solution at sight.
This is a very common experience with Costly AV gear Service in India, I am sure there would be Many in the forum with bad experiences with official service chains. I would suggest you to lookout for experienced third party Technicians , who could repair it with real interest , instead of relying on Yamaha.
Precisely for the same reason, I prefer buying Overseas and save the amount, if ever the need for service arises.

And there is an update on how the fiend's grip loosened.

After numerous efforts to get any news on the status of my amp, I finally managed to speak with a certain employee of yamaha who was absolutely certain that the am cannot be fixed and a replacement card shall be in the vicinity of about 50k. I kept my calm, disconnected the call and first bought an emotiva xpa 2 gen 3. So while music was back in my life, the engineer within just wasn't comfortable accepting crap so I managed to get through to the service engineer who had been working on the yamaha amp so far.

As it turns out, it was a bloody simple screw up in the main input power section with the culprit being one of twelve sanyo transistors which are super hard to source. Since yamaha couldn't arrange them, they wanted me to either scrap my amp or get the entire board changed for 50K, the accountability towards the customer is beyond me. I was also told that they have another amp (AS1000) sitting there for exactly the same reason.

Internet to the rescue and I managed to get 40 transistor imported within 4-5 days from some one in china with a clear intention that is not mine, at least some ones amp gets fixed. Well, I am pleased to inform the readers that mine as well as some random persons amplifiers have been restored to perfect working conditions.

Now comes in the problem of plenty, since the wife wont let me go bonkers and have speakers all over the place, it only makes sense I part with either the Emotiva Power Amp or the Yamaha AS-2000+CDS-1000+Yamaha CD changer with USB and Apple support, yet to take a final call though.

Anyways, just wanted to close the chapter and thank all the members who stepped in to read, sympathize and try to help with alternate means of repairs.

Cheers and happy listening

Attachments

• 20180628_0750431.jpg
    20180628_0750431.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 75
Hey

Glad that things are back for you in order!

Nice pic of the systems.....impressive!

Happy Listening!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back