Yamaha AX-496

premoddev

Hello FMs,

Recently got one Yamaha AX-496 amplifier gifted from my cousin brother. This amp was in his storage for around 10 years with out using. Currently a pair of Sony APM 078 speakers from an old dead sony mini hifi system connected to the amplifier. What I observed that the right channel is not working fully ( feeble sound with scratches). But this issue is not present in "pure direct" mode, it works fine. Any hints for finding the issue?

Thanks,
Premod

There doesn't seem to be a problem with the right channel since its working in pure direct. It could be a simple contact issue since it was not used.

Hello FMs,

Recently got one Yamaha AX-496 amplifier gifted from my cousin brother. This amp was in his storage for around 10 years with out using. Currently a pair of Sony APM 078 speakers from an old dead sony mini hifi system connected to the amplifier. What I observed that the right channel is not working fully ( feeble sound with scratches). But this issue is not present in "pure direct" mode, it works fine. Any hints for finding the issue?

Thanks,
Premod

Keep using it....it will open up...if you feel still a difference, possibly the pre amp section needs to be checked.

Thank you @RRR, @efernand1 ..
Yes, I am using it.. but in pure direct mode. Normal mode it is almost one channel only, can't use.

The amp done a service, had issue in the pre-amp section and it now working perfectly. Now I am looking for a matching pair of speakers for this to make a stereo setup. My budget is 10 to 15K, could you guys please suggest any speakers best match with the Yamaha amp? I am okay with the used pairs as well if they are equally good in cosmetic and functionally.

Thank you..

The amp done a service, had issue in the pre-amp section and it now working perfectly. Now I am looking for a matching pair of speakers for this to make a stereo setup. My budget is 10 to 15K, could you guys please suggest any speakers best match with the Yamaha amp? I am okay with the used pairs as well if they are equally good in cosmetic and functionally.

Thank you..

You can try a Bose 301 goes really well with your particular amplifier or you can look for a Mission MX2 (new old stock) or LX2.

Thanks @Ramanuj for the suggestion.. not sure the price will be of the Bose model mentioned, but Mission LX2 new price showing in hifimart is quite okay though little higher than my budget.

Hi, don't jump in hasty to buy speakers. Take more time, audition and invest in a good speakers which meets your taste of music and other priorities.

I have its little brother of Yamaha AX396 and it is awesome, and very sweet integrated amp. Though these amps categorized as entry level, they will sound excellent by matching with good hi-sensitivity speakers. They were not ordinary in terms of power, performance, features and functionalities, at the point of price and time when they produced.

I am using AX396 amp with Philips HQ full rangers since last 6 years which costed me only 2K, purchased from a fellow FM on this forum. Still it is sounding great (carefully keeping the volume level not beyond 8'o clock position). I have decided to upgrade only couple of months back when my financial position allowed for a big stretch.

I have auditioned my AX396 with Indiq Audio Platinum Achals(FS), their Platinum Mishra and Custom LRs, (to my surprise) all are performed very well. Finally ordered for Custom LRs in Group buy. I know that it is bit expensive. But, when you have good amplifier, investing on good speakers will lost for longer. It will serve both for good music and for Movies and you never regret.

To start with, you can talk to Amit of Indiq audio for an audition session at his residence. This will provide an opportunity to understand the potential of your Amp in live environment, with speakers of different capacities. I don't think you get such an opportunity in any other showroom in Bangalore for testing entry level Amps.

Also, don't ignore checking PIONEER SP-BS22 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) by Andrew Jones, fits within your budget and VFM.

If the room is spacious and you want the music should fill entire home, you can also look for used vintage Yamaha/JBL/Pioneer/Technics 3 way bookshelf's (around 10K), which will get you more juice from the amp.

If you still constrained with budget, you can wait for good used speaker coming for sale in the forum, possibly from Bangalore, so you can audition with your amp and buy.

Last edited:

Thank you..

Look for some stereo speakers,,,pre owned...8 ohms, 75 to 100 watts each.

All the best!

Hi, don't jump in hasty to buy speakers. Take more time, audition and invest in a good speakers which meets your taste of music and other priorities.

I have its little brother of Yamaha AX396 and it is awesome, and very sweet integrated amp. Though these amps categorized as entry level, they will sound excellent by matching with good hi-sensitivity speakers. They were not ordinary in terms of power, performance, features and functionalities, at the point of price and time when they produced.

I am using AX396 amp with Philips HQ full rangers since last 6 years which costed me only 2K, purchased from a fellow FM on this forum. Still it is sounding great (carefully keeping the volume level not beyond 8'o clock position). I have decided to upgrade only couple of months back when my financial position allowed for a big stretch.

I have auditioned my AX396 with Indiq Audio Platinum Achals(FS), their Platinum Mishra and Custom LRs, (to my surprise) all are performed very well. Finally ordered for Custom LRs in Group buy. I know that it is bit expensive. But, when you have good amplifier, investing on good speakers will lost for longer. It will serve both for good music and for Movies and you never regret.

To start with, you can talk to Amit of Indiq audio for an audition session at his residence. This will provide an opportunity to understand the potential of your Amp in live environment, with speakers of different capacities. I don't think you get such an opportunity in any other showroom in Bangalore for testing entry level Amps.

Also, don't ignore checking PIONEER SP-BS22 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) by Andrew Jones, fits within your budget and VFM.

If the room is spacious and you want the music should fill entire home, you can also look for used vintage Yamaha/JBL/Pioneer/Technics 3 way bookshelf's (around 10K), which will get you more juice from the amp.

If you still constrained with budget, you can wait for good used speaker coming for sale in the forum, possibly from Bangalore, so you can audition with your amp and buy.
Thank you for your time writing so much information... Right now budget is not so flexible, have to stick with in the range. I heard the amp with the vintage yamaha 3way speakers and also small bookshelf. I like both, as my space is not so big, small bookshelf speakers will also work. I am fine with the pre owned ones, so eagerly waiting for something to come in the for sale section..

Thank you once again

Look for some stereo speakers,,,pre owned...8 ohms, 75 to 100 watts each.

All the best!
Thank you @efernand1 .. already have an eye on OLX listings..

How will this amp pair with QA 3020i? I would love to have an audition, but don't know where I can bring my amp and do audition in Bangalore.

Yamaha amps usually pairs well with most of speakers brands. Choice will depend on budget, power rating , impedence and your liking.

Suggest looking at Older model speakers which were made during the time of this amp as they will pair better sonically when compared to the latest speakers.

Usually Yamaha is very musical and would pair with most speaker brands. Audition where possible with your amp before finalizing.

Some speakers paired with this amp / same series (396/596)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJ4wOepYmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUx98XXama8

Hope this helps.....

Thank you @efernand1 this will definitely help. There is a chance of getting the QA3021i, that's the reason for my question.

Ended up buying a pair of Q 3020i from one of our FM, and now its started singing... using a pair of Belden 8477 cable to connect the speaker to the amplifier. My player is an RPi4 based streamer with Allo BOSS dac running Moode Audio. Initial impression is very good, with a lacking of low end little bit, but that's expected.

Thank you all..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back