YAMAHA AX 530 - A good buy in 2023 ?

MasTerasTrix

Evening Folks,
Would like your take on the YAMAHA AX530 stereo Integrated amplifier (1989) . A friend of mine has the amplifier lying around neatly stacked and cared for since many years ( looks very neat even after decades of use), however he hasn't used it for 3-4 years and now has plans to dispose it for around 15k.
Does anyone have an idea bout this amplifier or may have used one in the past ?
Would you suggest buying it around 15k and would it be something worth owning in 2022-23 ?
What are a few basic things to check if it's in good condition & what are the parts that may need to be replaced once I buy it ( since it's nearly 25+ years ).

Kindly request FM's to share their inputs incase they have owned or used this amp in the past or are familiar with Yamaha amps from the 90's.Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

a 33 year old amp. Not sure if the components (capacitors & the likes) might have enough juice left in them & a revamp might be in order. Just my opinion - in no way qualified to comment on the electronics.

a 33 year old amp. Not sure if the components (capacitors & the likes) might have enough juice left in them & a revamp might be in order. Just my opinion - in no way qualified to comment on the electronics.
Exactly my point Chander. Since it's so old, can I get all the caps etc replaced by a able technician? Also what would be a ball park figure to expect incase i get the parts changed? ( I have never done this and hence would like to get an idea from folks who are well aware of the process & approx cost involved ). Plus i have no clue about this model except that it plays uncomfortably loud even at 50% .( Sounds exceptional driving a pair of paradigm speakers)

Hi, if you can lower the price to 12k or so then buy the amp eyes closed. I had used a similar vintage amp from Yamaha and it was extremely powerful. The tone was a detailed and neutral compared to Marantz or NAD but they are very reliable and keep going. My view is not to disturb the internals if it sounds right and no imbalance in channel levels.

Mine was in a very bad shape when I bought it and a bit of detox kept it going for years before the channel imbalance made me discard it. I still have it lying. Hope this helps

Hi, if you can lower the price to 12k or so then buy the amp eyes closed. I had used a similar vintage amp from Yamaha and it was extremely powerful. The tone was a detailed and neutral compared to Marantz or NAD but they are very reliable and keep going. My view is not to disturb the internals if it sounds right and no imbalance in channel levels.

Mine was in a very bad shape when I bought it and a bit of detox kept it going for years before the channel imbalance made me discard it. I still have it lying. Hope this helps
Screenshot_20221230-180922-920.pngScreenshot_20221230-180854-302.png

Specifications​

Power output: 85 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.01%
Damping factor: 80
Input sensitivity: 0.16mV (MC), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)
Signal to noise ratio: 76dB (MC), 92dB (MM), 102dB (line)
Channel separation: 60dB (MM), 60dB (line)
Output: 150mV (line)
Speaker load impedance: 6Ω (minimum)
Dimensions: 435 x 141 x 332mm
Weight: 7.8kg

Thanks a ton for your inputs Gautam.Since you already have used similar gear it makes all the difference when you share your thoughts about it. Found this spec sheet online & noticed that it has 2 pre outs. One surely can be used for a sub woofer but not sure where the other one comes in handy. Point noted about not meddling wit the internals if everything's sounding right.
Does Imbalance in channel levels refer to the mismatch between left and right outputs.( Where in the left or the right gives out less sound or the opposite). How does one rectify this ? Even your amp currently suffers from this, so is there something that can be done to restore it or its not worth it ? ( Have no clue about how the internals function or how it's rectified & hence my noob questions).
would you be kind enough to help me with a checklist that i can keep handy while i demo the amp. I can open it up ,but won't have a clue as to what to look for🤪. So if you could give me some pointers that would help me ascertain it's condition would be great.
Although he's a known person ,I would rather do the checks before i pay him rather than finding out the problems later and approaching him asking to take it back.
Hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Evening Folks,
Would like your take on the YAMAHA AX530 stereo Integrated amplifier (1989) . A friend of mine has the amplifier lying around neatly stacked and cared for since many years ( looks very neat even after decades of use), however he hasn't used it for 3-4 years and now has plans to dispose it for around 15k.
Does anyone have an idea bout this amplifier or may have used one in the past ?
Would you suggest buying it around 15k and would it be something worth owning in 2022-23 ?
What are a few basic things to check if it's in good condition & what are the parts that may need to be replaced once I buy it ( since it's nearly 25+ years ).

Kindly request FM's to share their inputs incase they have owned or used this amp in the past or are familiar with Yamaha amps from the 90's.Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
always use hifi shark.com to see what were the average selling prices of them abroad. I would pay 25 percent on the top of it at the max in India ;) worth it? Depends on the condition. That’s hard to judge over the internet. When picking up old amps, the common problems are channel imbalance; not the left right balance but with many amps I came across, the left and right channels sounded differently even when connecting to the same speaker. Also, lack of bass and clarity in treble says it needs a recap. It’s tricky as you cannot compare it with a working well amp, so at this point trust your guts

always use hifi shark.com to see what were the average selling prices of them abroad. I would pay 25 percent on the top of it at the max in India ;) worth it? Depends on the condition. That’s hard to judge over the internet. When picking up old amps, the common problems are channel imbalance; not the left right balance but with many amps I came across, the left and right channels sounded differently even when connecting to the same speaker. Also, lack of bass and clarity in treble says it needs a recap. It’s tricky as you cannot compare it with a working well amp, so at this point trust your gu
Really kind of you to let me know about pricing & inturn avoid over paying.With your input i got the first pointer that needs to be checked.
1.CHANNEL IMBALANCE - check if both the channels sound the same & no mismatch in their driving capabilities.
Would you have any idea about the cost involved in getting the caps replaced ?( Just an approx of what the best ones cost if available)
Any other things that you would check for incase of buying a used vintage amp. Thanks for taking time out to help me here. Much appreciated.
Cheers!

1.CHANNEL IMBALANCE - check if both the channels sound the same & no mismatch in their driving capabilities.
Would you have any idea about the cost involved in getting the caps replaced ?( Just an approx of what the best ones cost if available)
Any other things that you would check for incase of buying a used vintage amp. Thanks for taking time out to help me here. Much appreciated.
Cheers!
It’s not the loudness sometimes. For example sometimes one channel will have more treble. The other has softer bass and so on. Cost of the caps is not the problem. Finding a person who knows what to do exactly following the service manual is the real problem

It’s not the loudness sometimes. For example sometimes one channel will have more treble. The other has softer bass and so on. Cost of the caps is not the problem. Finding a person who knows what to do exactly following the service manual is the real problem

Brilliantly explained coz I'm a layman interms of checking gear & knowing what to look out for. I get your point & will have to look for a capable tech to get things replaced if i do go ahead and pick it up. Would you also have any idea about the 2 preouts in this amp & the purpose they serve? One would be to add a sub at a later stage, but normally where/what would one use the 2nd preout for. Just curious.
Btw Happy New Year to you n family in advance.

Brilliantly explained coz I'm a layman interms of checking gear & knowing what to look out for. I get your point & will have to look for a capable tech to get things replaced if i do go ahead and pick it up. Would you also have any idea about the 2 preouts in this amp & the purpose they serve? One would be to add a sub at a later stage, but normally where/what would one use the 2nd preout for. Just curious.
Btw Happy New Year to you n family in advance.

My friends have the AX592 and AX890 respectively. The Pre Outs & Main in were used mainly to connect an Equaliser. Direct Main In of the amp serves as a power amp. These amps were purchased in 1994/1996 and are still running flawlessly till date.

Hi, my amp is the same I think. Let me check tomm in the attic. Coming to the imbalance i never even tried to rectify hence no idea what to check.

Most of those vintage Amps featured preouts which allowed using them as a preamp or power amp improving the flexibility. However you need a subwoofer that allows line level inputs to use with this amp. If the amp has additional L&R preouts as you said then the subwoofer choices will be more.

All in all if its in pristine condition and sound good as you said, I suggest don't get too worried about the internals and expected failures.
If you have to buy a modern amp boasting such power you may have to shell out upwards of 60/70K. So enjoy the amp till it lasts. Cheers

My friends have the AX592 and AX890 respectively. The Pre Outs & Main in were used mainly to connect an Equaliser. Direct Main In of the amp serves as a power amp. These amps were purchased in 1994/1996 and are still running flawlessly till date.
Wow....indeed sweet of you to update regarding the pre outs.Would i be able to use one pre out to a subwoofer ,incase i plan to add one later ? Glad to hear that these are running well even till this day.Its reassuring to me that i can still pick it up if it's in good condition.Happy New Year to you and fly in advance.

15k no way.

I saw the later model AX 596 in 2005 for about 25k equivalent (now). Settled for AX 496 though.
😁Well trying to get him to settle for around 13k stating tha it's already 30 odd years old.Guess it's a good price to pay for a used vintage amp .

Hi, my amp is the same I think. Let me check tomm in the attic. Coming to the imbalance i never even tried to rectify hence no idea what to check.

Most of those vintage Amps featured preouts which allowed using them as a preamp or power amp improving the flexibility. However you need a subwoofer that allows line level inputs to use with this amp. If the amp has additional L&R preouts as you said then the subwoofer choices will be more.

All in all if its in pristine condition and sound good as you said, I suggest don't get too worried about the internals and expected failures.
If you have to buy a modern amp boasting such power you may have to shell out upwards of 60/70K. So enjoy the amp till it lasts. Cheers
Done👍. Sir that makes total sense & yes it's in great shape by the looks of it(external) and plays well too.Will do a thorough demo of it in a few days and check for the channel imbalances if any.Thabks so much for sparing time to answer my queries. It means a lot. HNY to you and family.

I have no clue about the L&R preouts. According to the pics in the manual it has 2 sections - TAPE A & TAPE B, There's a preout below Tape A & another one below Tape B. ( 😁absolutely clueless if this can accomodate a sub or not) but I'm sure we have FM's who will know for sure what these are & I'm hoping they enlighten me.

😁Well trying to get him to settle for around 13k stating tha it's already 30 odd years old.Guess it's a good price to pay for a used vintage amp .
Even 13k would be too much. I can see someone got for $10 (on another forum) though it was not clean.

Even AX 596 that is perhaps built in 2000's goes for like $100 on Ebay. Ebay is a good source to benchmark at least.

My AX 496 I could sell for at current exchange rates 9k only. That 25k I said for AX 596 is also at present rate.

Hi, those Tape preouts will output only Tape signal and not all sources. But you can still use a subwoofer with this amp. But select one which allows line level inputs. You can check videos on YouTube for more details when you need.

Even 13k would be too much. I can see someone got for $10 (on another forum) though it was not clean.

Even AX 596 that is perhaps built in 2000's goes for like $100 on Ebay. Ebay is a good source to benchmark at least.

My AX 496 I could sell for at current exchange rates 9k only. That 25k I said for AX 596 is also at present rate.
Thank you Sir. Will try getting it at the prevailing price on ebay etc. After what you've suggested i now have an idea how to match prices & not pay excessively for gear that's ages old.

Hi, those Tape preouts will output only Tape signal and not all sources. But you can still use a subwoofer with this amp. But select one which allows line level inputs. You can check videos on YouTube for more details when you need.
You bet. Will keep the line level inputs in mind whenever i lookout for a sub in future.Cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back