Yamaha HT Installation (Bangalore)

Digital_Reality

Hi Friends,

Finally I bite the bullet and purchased Yamaha yht 299 from PayTM in effective price of ~27,000 ( 37k - 10k Cashback).

It will be getting delivered sometimes this week.

I need some help regarding installation. Can someone from Bangalore provide me contact details of person from Yamaha. I know I will have to pay for it. (but don't know how much, though).

I visited Reliance Digital store and got one contact from Yamaha distributor. However, he refused to install as I bought it online. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Abhay

Congrats on your purchase...don't fret too much, half of the fun is in setting the stuff up...

The good folks here can help you, what exactly do you want to know regarding installation? Its fairly simple and once you have it all wired up, the inbuilt calibration software (I'm assuming YPAO is there in your model) will do the job for you.
Basic things -
  • Try and keep the front LR speakers at ear level based on your normal viewing position
  • Center should be kept in the center, preferable under the TV (or screen) or above
  • Rear speakers should be behind your ear or parallel to your ear but not in front
  • Rear speakers should be 2-3 feet above your ear level
  • If you are wall-mounting, any decent carpenter should be able to fix the nail/hook/stand for your speakers
  • Subwoofer should be away from corners and in this case (based on your model) preferable around the same area as your front speakers (since the cutoff will be high, direction would matter)
  • Keep the LF cutover for sub slightly above the lower limit of your speakers
  • Cable length for front speakers (LCR) should be equal, same for the rear speakers thought IMHO the difference with varying cable length is negligible in normal rooms
  • For speaker wire, use 12 or 14 gauge, 16 would also work. You don't have to go fancy on the cables, any good OFC should do (MX is a good brand to think of)
  • Try not to run speaker cables in parallel or in the same conduit as your power cables
  • Use a good quality HDMI high-speed cable

I have put in the absolute basic for setting up your HT, not sure if you already know this, didn't mean to insult your intelligence :p

If you have specific setup questions, fire away...there are folks here much more knowledgeable than I who will gladly answer...

Congrats on your new purchase!!

AVR manuals can be confusing at first read, but you will get the hang of it. If this is first AVR you can attempt installation yourself by following the manual. The instructions for most part are straight forward. You may want to check what cables are included in the package when delivery comes in.

Even if a representative from Yamaha helps you with install, it will basically be unpacking, initial cabling and placement. To get is right, it is you who will have to try different speaker positions based on your room geometry and listening preference.

Take it slow and get to know your system. If you have any doubts HFV has a few threads on YHT-299.

Cheers,
Raghu

I second, more than half the fun is in setting it up. Do not call an installer.
All in one home theater packages like these or Home Theater In a BOX (HTIB) is what they are commonly known as are pretty easy to setup.
If you are intimidated with crossovers, speaker placement etc; do not fret.

Step 1: Just connect the front speakers and center channel to the receiver and do not bother about placement.
Step 2: Your cable box to the first HDMI-in and your TV to the only HDMI out via an HDMI cable to the receiver.
Step 3: Set source on your TV to HDMI and source on your receiver to HDMI 1 via respective remotes.

You are done!

Now, explore YPAO; do a lot of reading and ask any number of silly questions on this forum.
Finally add your rear speakers, subwoofer, fiddle with cross overs, placements, tweaking the YPAO presets etc etc etc and voila! you would soon be giving advise to somebody else just like how I am doing right now!!!

Welcome on-board!

Thank you @soulforged, @raghupb and @eabhishek :signthankspin:. Really appreaciate your efforts to give me detailed heads-up on installation part.

This gives me confidence about doing it myself.

The only worry I would be having is about mounting it on wall and running wiring though room. Any suggestions on this? please feel free to post some ebay/amazon links for wiring accessories like clamping etc.

I am recently got Sony 43W950C TV, I am having HD set-top box and also xbox 360. (yet to get blu ray. May be coming in few months)
Can you throw some lights about connections I will have to make. eg xbox and HD box to TV and then TV to AV or everything to AV. Little confused on this part.

Sorry for silly questions, however, I am sure you will be happy to answer those :)

Regards,
Abhay

You can connect everything via the AVR but the downside of this is that you will have to keep the AVR switched on every time you watch something.
- Xbox, IMO, should be connected via AVR as it would be used for gaming and/or movies, both of which are enjoyable with good sound
- For set top box, I suggest connecting it to the AVR via optical or coaxial cable and connect the set top box directly to TV via HDMI. This way you can route the audio to AVR when needed or bypass it completely and watch and hear from the TV directly. This is what I have done in my setup. You really don't need 5.1 effects while watching the news...of course, it depends on your usage and choice
- For cabling, your main headache would be with the surround speakers, your local electrician can fix the 'casing patti' conduit through which you can pass the cable. Like I mentioned in my previous post, avoid the temptation of wiring it through the electrical conduit. The electrical cables would interfere with the sound signal causing buzz and hum
- For mounting the speakers on the wall, just get the electrician to put in screws on the wall with a gatta/plastic wall plug and just hang your speakers. Did your speakers come with brackets?

Hope this helps...

Edit: While playing around with the connections, especially HDMI, ensure that the units are switch off. HDMI boards are fickle creatures known to go bad at the slightest provocation

:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks.

One more quick question. How important to have AV to be connected from stabilizer?
I have serge protector.. Will that be enough?

Thanks.

One more quick question. How important to have AV to be connected from stabilizer?
I have serge protector.. Will that be enough?

Get a UPS/Inverter if you have frequent power cuts or erratic power in your city. They also act as power conditioners. Stabilizers I hear nullify warranty (not sure of this); but have read this on the forum.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thank you Raghu. Would you like to recommend UPS for this system? Perhaps, you can suggest me UPS which will take care of Sony 43 inch tv, and yamaha yht 299. Thanks again.

I have microtek 850VA inverter and Exide 150Ah battery. Six years ago it cost me 16K. No issues till now. PC, tv, lights, fans run on this. My amps do not, and I would not run them on UPS anyways. They are current hogs.

Other brands are SuKam and APC. Discuss with a local ups dealer.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most installers have no clue about how HT works, sub placement, cross overs etc. It is because they do not read - neither the manuals, nor on internet. Most of them are total idiots and are too arrogant to listen to any ideas. So you should do it yourself. I as a complete noob, installed my HT in a dedicated room and did everything (including DIY absorption panels) myself. So you can too. First read up the manual and then post questions here.
For wiring, get the casing patti from any local electrical shop and run them along the skirting of the wall. It has a click-shut kind of action which is easy to close and remove.
Also post pictures of your room and the TV wall here, including the layout (with measurements) so that our fellow FMs can give ideas.

Thank you sash. HT got delivered yesterday. I will spend this weekend researching and understanding system (I know it's long process). And then fire up questions. Great to see lot of support for noon :)

Issue after installation

I have purchased YHT-299. It is my first Home theatre system. Set-up was done. TV is connected with HDMI cable using ARC route. On playing the video using TV USB port, the speaker indication light on the Receiver is blinking and with each blink sounds on speakers are blinking parallel.

Is the same problem being faced by you.

Requested to guide me to overcome the issue.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back