Yamaha HTiB

ashuban

Hello everyone!!

This is my first post to this forum and this was brought about by the sheer confusion I am experiencing while selecting a home theatre package for me and my family! My budget is between 20k to 30k and the final choice is between the Yamaha YHT 195 and Sony DAV D370. On paper the Sony HTiB has better specs however I couldnt get a proper demo for this system. However the Yamaha sounded better but I need to connect a DVD player et al to it.

Can someone guide me as to which one of the two is better? Also, do let me know if I should look at any other HTiB package - I prefer satellite speakers though (a quirk of mine I know!).

Any help provided will be much appreciated. I am very new to this so if my query sounds basic please excuse!!

cheers!

"On paper the Sony HTiB has better specs"
I think you are talking about DZ 370

DAV-DZ370 : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony India

Please - this sony is really "paper tiger!!!"
It has alot of flaws
1) 1000 W RMS @ 10% Distortion :mad:
2) Passive Subwoofer
3)16 CM ( 6 inch) Sub!!! - a lot of bookshelf has bigger woofer!!
4) All speakers are single driver speakers - I beleive sony is not using Fostex drivers!!
5) Just 4.1 KG unit - god knows how small the transformer is proucing 1000 W RMS!!!

Yamaha is far better than sony

Anyway what is your maximum budget??

Still Yamaha low prised speakers are not upto the mark - You can go for Onkyo HT-S3100 Rajiv and other friends please help!!

Thanks for the very quick reply. I am also new to Chennai and could you please guide me as to where I could audition an Onkyo system? I have been reading the threads here and Onkyo seems to be quite a hit in this forum!

cheers!

Hey Ram ( Madbullram!!):licklips:

I am totally stranger to chennai.visited just twice that to for dealer visits.

Fello audiophiles from chennai please help.

Also if your budget is upto 30 then DVD player + Harman Kardon- JBL combo will be also good choice,,

Hi

The onkyo and philips are quite popular on the forum. So no worries at your end. Do a search and try a PM to madbullram or moserw. They can provide further details.

Hi

I am also new to Chennai and could you please guide me as to where I could audition an Onkyo system?

You can see the demo at eZone at alwarpet and also at the Onkyo distributors place, i have given the address below.

Regards

sub

No.1, Sriram Nagar, South Street, Alwarpet Chennai 600 018, India
Phone - +91-44-2467-2152 / +91-44-2466-2190
Fax - +91-44-4200-0094
Web Site - http://www.onkyoindia.com

Hi Ashuban,

Firstly welcome...

Please stay off a Sony and also an integrated DVD/Amp combo unit. If the DVDP goes then the entire unit becomes useless (this is quite a common problem). You are better off going for separates and buying a separate DVDP which will cost about 3.5K even for good Philips DVDP with a digital out which is all you need. This is one reason I will recommend Yamaha/Onkyo over others any day.

For 20K you will get very good bang for the buck/VFM entry level HTIBs from Onkyo like 3100/3105 and for around 23K from Yamaha. If you can up the budget to 30K then the offerings from both Yamaha and Onkyo get much better too.

Satellite speakers are good, easy to spread and wall mount and will sound good for movies. Just that for music (at least the HTIB) satellites will be found wanting. Above all else do audition for yourself. There is nothing like spending a couple of days and listening to as many different systems as possible, this will give you a good idea of what you like and want to invest in.

Ashuban:

In addition to the Onkyo advises given to you, I would also urge you to audition the Philips HTIB models. You can audition them at Philips showroom on Mount Road.

Cheers

Venkatji,

I'm sure the Philips sounds great and is VFM, but its an integrated unit and just last week someone else was having issues with it not reading DVDs and that too a brand new unit purchased around 2 months ago. At least with a non-integrated unit you do have the choice of replacing the DVDP (even with a cheap one which will be available for Rs. 1200-Rs. 1500). I know any problem can be fixed and servicing will take care of it, but why even go through that headache/hassle.

Respectfully disagreeing with you, but my 2 paise...

Ashuban:

In addition to the Onkyo advises given to you, I would also urge you to audition the Philips HTIB models. You can audition them at Philips showroom on Mount Road.

Cheers

I'm sure the Philips sounds great and is VFM, but its an integrated unit and just last week someone else was having issues with it not reading DVDs and that too a brand new unit purchased around 2 months ago. At least with a non-integrated unit you do have the choice of replacing the DVDP (even with a cheap one which will be available for Rs. 1200-Rs. 1500). I know any problem can be fixed and servicing will take care of it, but why even go through that headache/hassle.

I think I should just keep my mouth shut regarding HTIBs. :eek:

Cheers

Ashuban,

One more thing/advantage of a non-integrated unit will be you can upgrade the DVDP or add a HDD based player (like WDTV)/NMTto it. An integrated unit will not allow you to do it and connectivity options too will be limited. I'm quite convinced that HDD based units like WDTV are the future. Tomorrow you can just buy a DVDP that will do Divx 7 and other formats/codecs like MKV, H.264 etc. This is just not possible with an integrated HTIB. Either way a DVDP with a USB is at least a must. Much easier to handle and play content rather than burning on DVDs and playing them. A HDD is way more easier and secure than a DVD (just imagine no scratched DVDs and no loss of data). I'm sure our resident WDTV expert MBR will have a lot more wonderful things to say about WDTV and also do check the posts about WDTV though it may not right now be related to your HTIB, but it will in the future as your media/movie content will increase and we all go the HD way.

hi ashuban,
Welcome to the forum, here you can get any details, reviews, comments about any systems in which the experts here in this forum will all sure help you.

For sony, just strike it from your list. As it is a very complicated and problematic HTIBs available, coz its a in-built DVD player and AMPLIFIER model. Its paper specification may be well or it can sound good too for some one, who never heard the 5.1 sound. After some years or sooner the DVD player will show the bizbang actions which you have not seen before like problems. After some services done for DVD player to work well and then the problem works very well repeatedly. Then, if you wish to connect a new DVD player to the sony AMPLIFIER, you cannot able connect it in the sony AMPLIFIER becoz it does not have any 5.1 analog inputs or any digital inputs to decode the audio from the new DVD player. And then your AMPLIFIER will also be useless to connect any external sources like DVD players. AND coming to the sony speakers its normally 3 ohms impedance peakers. You cant also connect the speakers to the brand AVRs, bcoz most other brand AVRs support only from 4 ohms speakers to 8 ohms or 12 ohms only. So connecting the sony speakers will damage the other brand AVRs bcoz of lesser ohms. you landed here for the eperts suggestions, so go for a better one.
For yamaha its like all are seperated. The AVR comes in the package YHT-195 is 5.1 channel a/v receiver. 5x110 watts rms at 8 ohms, 5x135 watts rms at 6 ohms, 5x150 watts rms at 4 ohms. Total Harmonic Distortion(THD) 20hz - 20khz is 0.06%. HDMI (2 inputs/1 outputs) 1080p compatible, Audio Digital inputs(optical-2/coaxial-1), weight-8kgs. The speakers all are 6 ohms impedance. So, its very easy to mixmatch with any brands AVR when you go for a upgrade. VFM go for a YHT-195. Its very good option for you as a videophile bigginer.

cheers.

Hello everyone!!

This is my first post to this forum and this was brought about by the sheer confusion I am experiencing while selecting a home theatre package for me and my family! My budget is between 20k to 30k and the final choice is between the Yamaha YHT 195 and Sony DAV D370. On paper the Sony HTiB has better specs however I couldnt get a proper demo for this system. However the Yamaha sounded better but I need to connect a DVD player et al to it.

Can someone guide me as to which one of the two is better? Also, do let me know if I should look at any other HTiB package - I prefer satellite speakers though (a quirk of mine I know!).

Any help provided will be much appreciated. I am very new to this so if my query sounds basic please excuse!!

cheers!

Hi ashuban,
Like you i am also planing to by one HITB but very confused about the Different Brand available. Me also from chennai.. If you have time to Visit Mount Road. You audition all the brands mentioned here.

For Sony Home theater you can Visit the Sony World Showroom Near to the Devi Theater in Mount Road.
For Denon System You can Visit-

PRO FX in Spensor Plaza Mount Road-They are now giving Denon 1905 with Fox FX For Rs 40000.

For Onkyo HTIB's

Visit Viveks Showroom in Spensor Plaaza they have HTS 5105 for Rs 30000 including one year extened warranty.Please contact JobbY for the Demo there.

For Yamaha System with Torwin Speakers

Visit First Appliance in Mount Road Near to Spensor Plaaza.Their Demo Room is Very Good and system are also very impresive. But people don't knwo anything about the technical details..

Hello everyone!!

cheers!

Hi ashuban,
Like you i am also planing to by one HITB but very confused about the Different Brand available. Me also from chennai.. If you have time to Visit Mount Road. You audition all the brands mentioned here.

For Sony Home theater you can Visit the Sony World Showroom Near to the Devi Theater in Mount Road.
For Denon System You can Visit-

PRO FX in Spensor Plaza Mount Road-They are now giving Denon 1905 with PRO FX For Rs 40000.

For Onkyo HTIB's

Visit Viveks Showroom in Spensor Plaaza they have HTS 5105 for Rs 30000 including one year extened warranty.Please contact JobbY for the Demo there.

Visit First Appliance in Mount Road Near to Spensor Plaaza.Their Demo Room is Very Good and system are also very impresive. But people don't knwo anything about the technical details..

Hi ashuban,

For Onkyo HTIB's

Hi

Do you know that whether Vivkes have ONKYO AV receiver for demo/sale.

and the address of Torwin for Yamaha in Mount road,

Thank u isn advance

Hello everyone!!

cheers!

Why dont you go with a product like this :-

SONY - Australia - Product HTDDW880

I have been using this for 22 months now and the avr is pretty decent. I am not an audiophile but I do want the best possible sound in a tight budget and this setup does a decent job.

Hi

Do you know that whether Vivkes have ONKYO AV receiver for demo/sale.

and the address of Torwin for Yamaha in Mount road,

Thank u isn advance

Yes Viveke have Onkyo(Only HTS 5105) for Sale and Demo in Spenszor plaaza.

For Torwin and Yamaha Visit First Hom Appliances,Opp LIC Building Munt Road(Not sure about the Show Room Name i think its First Home Appliances.

[/QUOTE]

For Torwin and Yamaha Visit First Hom Appliances,Opp LIC Building Munt Road(Not sure about the Show Room Name i think its First Home Appliances.[/QUOTE]

Actually Yamaha can be auditioned quite well at "Music Square" on Sterling Road (behind the Konica showroom). It's a Yamaha showroom and the audition room is quite impressive.

Thanks for all the advice. I will go and audition an Onkyo system and then decide between the YTH 195 and Onkyo.

cheers!

Hi All,

I finally auditioned the Onkyo 3105/5105 and even the 5100. My final shortlist is 3105/5105 or Yamaha YHT 195. Now, if I understand correctly and also from reading all the posts here 5105 is just an HDMI pass through while YHT 195 has HDMI handling capabilities. Somehow the Yamaha sounded better to me. However I am still confused.

Could you guys give your views on which one out of the three - Onkyo 3105/5105 or Yamaha YHT 195 should I buy? my requirements - 70% music 30% movies; room - 16x13.

your expert views are well appreciated as always

cheers!!

@Ashuban - Don't double post. Just does not make sense in posting same content in two threads.

Hi All,

I finally auditioned the Onkyo 3105/5105 and even the 5100. My final shortlist is 3105/5105 or Yamaha YHT 195. Now, if I understand correctly and also from reading all the posts here 5105 is just an HDMI pass through while YHT 195 has HDMI handling capabilities. Somehow the Yamaha sounded better to me. However I am still confused.

Could you guys give your views on which one out of the three - Onkyo 3105/5105 or Yamaha YHT 195 should I buy? my requirements - 70% music 30% movies; room - 16x13.

your expert views are well appreciated as always

cheers!!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back