Yamaha RX-V577 receiver with 3 speakers

cranston

I've had two speakers with my receiver in 2ch stereo mode.
Recently bought a center speaker and hooked it up.

There is no 3.1 mode. Only 5.1 and 7.1 and pro logic. What should I be using?
Also now it's always showing PCM mode.

please help

Hi,

To enjoy good playback you need to use the same in all channel stereo mode...

Secondly, PCM mode would be the digital input coming from your DVD / Blu Ray player...this signal is either through optical cable / HDMI, etc....

Refer to the Operating Manual to adjust to a different input stream....

Why cant you consider using any idle speakers u may have as surrounds and complete the 5.1 set in your case its 5.0 since subwoofer is not avlbl. You can use any of your old Hifi speakers, or even car stereo speakers. I am using my ten year old battered car speakers and they work for me. I may be a complete stereo nut but I don't think they sound bad. My colleagues usually are surprised with the HT effect that my make shift 5.0 speakers make. That's about me only anyway..

Only thing to note is that they should be at least 87-88 db sensitive. If u are like me and don't want to invest on separate surrounds buy any old Hifi speaker set from Sony, Panasonic etc from olx. I use our old Aiwa set as fronts and as I said they work nicely for me.

Hi,

To enjoy good playback you need to use the same in all channel stereo mode...

Secondly, PCM mode would be the digital input coming from your DVD / Blu Ray player...this signal is either through optical cable / HDMI, etc....
1. I don't know how to use all channel stereo mode. When selecting different options, it's not there.

2. Ya it's optical cable. I don't have a dvd/blu-ray player, so it's just from my appletv to the tv, and back to the receiver via optical cable.

Go to settings, set surrounds to none, that's 3.1

So set it to 5.1 and then I will have to figure out how to set surrounds to none?

Why cant you consider using any idle speakers u may have as surrounds and complete the 5.1 set in your case its 5.0 since subwoofer is not avlbl.

unfortunately I don't have any idle speakers. maybe i'll have to buy some but not really in the budget. i also don't want to wire them. i think the receiver is capable of wifi so may get some cheap wifi enabled speakers.

thanks all!

Hi,

I am having 3.0 setup wih rxv477.
You can select surround modes Dolby prologic music, prologic movies etc. This way you would hear audio from all 3 speakers. PCM will use only L and R.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back