Yamaha RX-V663 v/s RX-V863

datuca

Hi,
I have been looking into spec of these 2 for a few days (havent heard any demo yet). And there is hardly much difference except for the price difference of about 27k :confused:.
There V869 has more power (approx. 10/channel) which is not really required for me.
The only other difference I can see is V869 has Analogue video (480i/576i or 480p/576p) upscaling to full HD 1080p.
Does this mean that it converts the analogue cable connection into HD?
Does this make a big difference and is worth spending 27K more?
Also, which speakers go well with these amps? I know wharfedale is an option but I am confused if I should go with sub-woofer/satelite speakers or normal floor standers/bookshelves types? I know it depends on my place, budget and preference. I think the it will be 70:30 movie:music ratio. If i go with V663 then I'll have about 65K for my speakers. I am attaching the plan of the flat I will be moving into, the system will be in the living room.

Thanks.

Attachments

• flat_plan.jpg
    flat_plan.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Datuca-

I recently picked up my system based on the 863 and have paired it to a pair of Wharfedale Evos.

Two similarities to note:

- My living room layout is almost the same as yours but my setup is aligned on the opposite wall.

- I had pretty much a similar budget to work with.

Now coming to the specs-

The additional amount you pay is for the upscaler and an additional 10w per channel. And yes- you are right, the receiver does upscale 480i from DVD and DTV into 1080p through HDMI. I have tried the capabilties and they are OK but not breathtaking. The upscaling comes through clearly while playing DVDs but is marginal in Digital TV.

You could get yourself a DVD player that upscales and use up this addtnl 25k for the speakers.

I picked up the 863 as I got a deal that I couldnt turn down- else I would have gone with the 663.

Also, which speakers go well with these amps? I know wharfedale is an option but I am confused if I should go with sub-woofer/satelite speakers or normal floor standers/bookshelves types? I know it depends on my place, budget and preference. I think the it will be 70:30 movie:music ratio. If i go with V663 then I'll have about 65K for my speakers. I am attaching the plan of the flat I will be moving into, the system will be in the living room.

Since you are in Mumbai, you MUST audition a few speakers and decide which one you like. Though Wharfedale is a good bet, there are other options such as the PSB Alpha B1s, Q-Acoutstic 1010i, Mordaunt Short, Mission, AE, and Polks. I have heard the Wharfedales and PSB and they both sound very nice with the Yamaha. The Q-Acoustics are also good, but come in second place after the Wharfedale and PSBs.

As I said, please audition.

Cheers

Would advise to go with 663 and put that extra money in speakers/cables.

Upscaling is still not a matured technology and as other forum members said its better to do upscale at the source.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi

Sound judgment, go aheed and do it.

Yes upscaling at source is always good if you have a good DVD or Blu ray player.

Regards

sub

Given the split between movies/music, I would suggest to go with floorstanders + sub or if budget is constraint then bookshelves with sub.

2.1 or 3.1 to start with and then move to 5.1.

speaker choices : PSB, Paradigm, Polk, Klipsch, wharfdale, Monitor Audio or Morduant short

Thank you all of you for your sound input.

mnemonic: We are also planning to setup on the opposite side as shown in the pick for privacy reasons. Which cables are you using?

venkatcr: I will surely audition before I buy. I want to short-list a few first. Plus I have noticed that some systems sound much better in the audition room rather than home (bose for example). So, i wanted some input from people who have used them at home.

marsilians: Do you think i can't get a good 5.1 (or even 7.1) speaker system within 65K for V663? I like the idea of having sub + floorstanders both. How would it be setup?

I guess the verdict is buy a better DVD player and go for V663.

Also, do i need a powered sub-woofer with this amp?

Thanks again.

venkatcr: I will surely audition before I buy. I want to short-list a few first. Plus I have noticed that some systems sound much better in the audition room rather than home (bose for example). So, i wanted some input from people who have used them at home.

The Wharfedales, PSB, and Q-Acoustics were all in untreated rooms. Ordinary houses.

Cheers

I recently picked up my system based on the 863 and have paired it to a pair of Wharfedale Evos.

Mnemonic,
Sorry to go off-topic but wanted to know how the performance of the Evo's is for you. Are they good music speakers? From what I've read, they seem to be an upgraded diamond 9.1 in terms of build quality and midrange detail. Are these the Evo 8 bookshelves or the floorstanders?

Thanks,
Jinx.

marsilians: Do you think i can't get a good 5.1 (or even 7.1) speaker system within 65K for V663? I like the idea of having sub + floorstanders both. How would it be setup?

You can even geta 5.1 system for 25K but it just may sound crappy. I have always leaned towards better speakers vs. OK AVR than the other way around. If you want an overall better sound,and dont mind building your system in pieces to match the 663 (I dont recommend the 863 at all as it does not provide incremental value to satisfy the price differential), then go for a good pair for floor standers + center for now. movies sound weird when played in L/R speakers only. the center channel is all for dialogue with L/R providing the sound effects.

next purchases after saving would be 8 - 10 inch sub followed by surrounds. This will be miles ahread of a 5.1 system for 65K when paired with the yamaha

I guess the verdict is buy a better DVD player and go for V663.

how much does a 663 cost in bangalore.

Any idea as to when the 665 is hitting the market. I was checking out the features, lots more features, but weighs like 5 kilos less ::confused: looks like they've messed up the power supply:mad:

mnemonic: We are also planning to setup on the opposite side as shown in the pick for privacy reasons. Which cables are you using?

I didnt buy any branded cable- Denny from Bass n Treble threw in some 7 meters of OFC cable complimentary.

Mnemonic,
Sorry to go off-topic but wanted to know how the performance of the Evo's is for you. Are they good music speakers? From what I've read, they seem to be an upgraded diamond 9.1 in terms of build quality and midrange detail. Are these the Evo 8 bookshelves or the floorstanders?

I have a pair of Evo2-30 which are 2-1/2 way floorstanders. These are higher end Wharfies which are supposedly handcrafted. They have real veneers and use tweeters from thier Aero range of speakers and better components for crossovers and the Bass/Mid-range drivers. They sound real sweet and are good across all genres-However, they really shine in Rock renditions. These Wharfies seem to be transparent and any lacunae in the source comes through clearly- one reason why I desperately need a good CDP.:mad:. I shall do a detailed review post on these soon once I am done with the break-in.

You can even geta 5.1 system for 25K but it just may sound crappy. I have always leaned towards better speakers vs. OK AVR than the other way around. If you want an overall better sound,and dont mind building your system in pieces to match the 663 (I dont recommend the 863 at all as it does not provide incremental value to satisfy the price differential), then go for a good pair for floor standers + center for now. movies sound weird when played in L/R speakers only. the center channel is all for dialogue with L/R providing the sound effects.

next purchases after saving would be 8 - 10 inch sub followed by surrounds. This will be miles ahread of a 5.1 system for 65K when paired with the yamaha

I looked into the price range of wharfedales and I think i can get a very nice combo in that price range:
Diamond 9.5 27000
Diamond 9.CM 13500
Diamond 9.DFS 9750
SW-150 PC 18000

Total: Rs. 68250 (I am sure I will get some discount to get this in 60-62K)

Are these not good enough for 663 and my room size?
I am going to demo these and a few other speakers as well.

Thanks again for your input.

Really. This is the price list I got from another thread.

Attachments

• WH-MRP.pdf
    13.4 KB · Views: 45
Another member from Chennai had received a quotation for the same configuration excepting the 9CM being replaced by 9CS. The total price quoted was 68,500.

Cheers

I agree completely, specially since speakers are harder to replace in the long run, as for an HT setup, you need to replace 5 or 7 speakers.

Go with the 663, with the money you save, get yourself a great blu-ray player. 10 watts of extra power is not much by any standard, specially when we are talking about roughly 100wpc anyway.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back