Yamaha Speaker and Subwoofer Owners Thread

Hi all, I bought a Yamaha NS-SW300. I find that during very deep bass, subwoofer rattles.

Either your unit is defective or the sub isn’t designed to protect itself from ULF that it can’t play. Either way, the sub shouldn’t rattle for sure. Looking at your demo scenes, you should consider a more capable sub, IMO. Assuming budget permits.

Hi all, I bought a Yamaha NS-SW300. I find that during very deep bass, subwoofer rattles. Not sure if any sw300 owner realized? I went through several forums, some other owners facing the same issue. A very good example is opening scene of Edge of Tomorrow.
It does. Same issue was there with mine during scenes with deep bass.

It does. Same issue was there with mine during scenes with deep bass.
Tested it just now. I run dual SW300s. If you are talking about the opening scene till the news guy starts speaking I can report that there is absolutely no rattling on both my subs. Deep and clean..

I saw several similar problem related to grill from another forum that rattling was solved with removal of grill. I have tested some videos to simulate the rattling over and over, my hand can feel the grill being knocked by the driver. Another great evidence is from the dimension found in Service Manual (refer attachment). If you can interpret the drawing, you'll notice that the grill has limited space for driver excursion. I will feedback to Yamaha see what can be done. I still have 18 months of warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214-135125~5.png
    Screenshot_20210214-135125~5.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210214-160246~2.png
    Screenshot_20210214-160246~2.png
    306 KB · Views: 9
I saw several similar problem related to grill from another forum that rattling was solved with removal of grill. I have tested some videos to simulate the rattling over and over, my hand can feel the grill being knocked by the driver. Another great evidence is from the dimension found in Service Manual (refer attachment). If you can interpret the drawing, you'll notice that the grill has limited space for driver excursion. I will feedback to Yamaha see what can be done. I still have 18 months of warranty.
Hi all Yamaha SW300 owner, I have to amend the statement that the driver hitting front grille and causes the rattle. It is not. After I remove the grille, I still hook it to the cabinet but leaving enough gap for driver excursion. Surprisingly, driver does not hit the grille, but still has rattling sound. Rattling sound only disappears when the grille is totally not attached or in contact with the sub cabinet. It comes to my conclusion that the Grille itself is a design flaw, which consists of 3 pieces plastic parts joint with 4 screws. At deep low end bass, the pressure is too strong to vibrate the whole sub cabinet and vibrate the front grille to rattle. You can refer photo for clearer picture. There's no problem with any loose components or driver issue. This Sub is a beast without Grille issue. Screenshot_20210216_092209.jpgScreenshot_20210216_092209.jpg

Tested it just now. I run dual SW300s. If you are talking about the opening scene till the news guy starts speaking I can report that there is absolutely no rattling on both my subs. Deep and clean..
Thats great. You’d be one of the select few not facing this issue with the yamma. One thing could be that since you have dual subs installed, youkve set the gain lower than what it would be at had there been only one sub. The rattle was exibited at very high decibels only. When i paired it with a REL T9i (terrible synergy), i had to turn down both subs to level match with the speakers so i stopped facing the issue with the yamma once configured into a dual sub setup.

Thats great. You’d be one of the select few not facing this issue with the yamma. One thing could be that since you have dual subs installed, youkve set the gain lower than what it would be at had there been only one sub. The rattle was exibited at very high decibels only. When i paired it with a REL T9i (terrible synergy), i had to turn down both subs to level match with the speakers so i stopped facing the issue with the yamma once configured into a dual sub setup.
Hi, thanks for your sharing. Mind to explain the meaning of 'terrible synergy'?

Hi, thanks for your sharing. Mind to explain the meaning of 'terrible synergy'?
Conventional wisdom is that sealed subs - REL T9i do not pair well with ported subs - Yamma NS-SW300. In my own wisdom stemming from my interaction with the two subs, I found that the REL T9i is an incredibly quick sub with very clean sounding bass. When i mean quick, i mean to say it reproduces the bass notes a fraction of a millisecond quicker than my Yamma. Due to that, the bass was ever so out of synergy with one arriving every so slightly sooner than the other and while it added bass scale and impact, it did so at the cost of both bass notes being out of sync (never tried dialling in a delay though i don't think that would have solved it, its just that the driver reacts faster i guess). With respect to 'clean, while the Yamma is excellent in its own right and a very good subwoofer for music considering its punchy nature, it has a certain sound to its bass notes and i never realised it had it till i heard the REL. The REL sounds like a natural extension of the main speaker's bass (no matter which speaker i tried it with) with no coloration of its own whatsoever and the fact that its quick means that it can keep up with your main speakers no matter the tune. This cleanliness of the bass meant that i could always hear the Yammas sound distinctly and the bass notes being reproduced not a fraction slower than the REL didn't help in that regard either.

I've seen the frequency response advertised as 20-160 Hz.

Can anyone shed light on the difference responses with the B.A.S.S. set to Movie and Music? Is the quoted response of 20-160 Hz for Movie or Music?

Is the B.A.S.S. switch a low pass filter?

Movie: The sound will be richer and deeper.
Music: The sound will carry less bass and reproduce the melody line more clearly.

New Yamaha NS-SW300 rattle noise has a link to the service manual and it mentions Removal of Front Grille Assembly.

Hey guys, the price for this unit has little high in 2024, I could see on Amazon it's 35k. Not even this but all BIC subs are having high prices than before. Do you still feel this sw 300 is still best sub in 35k range?

Hey guys, the price for this unit has little high in 2024, I could see on Amazon it's 35k. Not even this but all BIC subs are having high prices than before. Do you still feel this sw 300 is still best sub in 35k range?
check with local dealers or online. Dont go With amazon as I heard no warrenty from these hifi items boughtctgrough amazon. Plesase check before purchase.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back