Yamaha YHT 196 - review required!

karanmalhotra86

I am in the market for an entry level HT system. I've been to the usual electronics dealers in Pune (croma/vijaysales) and I've only liked a couple of systems from Sony.

But I want to buy something better, within my budget of INR 20-25k. Most of my usage is going to be general TV and Xbox 360.

Yamaha YHT 196 looks like a system that can be what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with this system? How does it compare with others in its price range?

Also, where can I find this for a demo in Pune? I don't think I can put down that kind of money without an audition.

Hi Karanmalhotra86

The Yamaha YHT196 is the entry level Home Theatre system and would be better than the Sony or Panasonic or LG HTiBs (Home Theatre in a Box) available. The YHT199 is the latest of the pack. I think there is a Yamaha owners thread on HFV.

Depending on your budget, you can make the purchase accordingly. It would be wise to check with other Home Theatre dealers as Croma / Vijay Sales are known to hype the price. You may get it cheaper.

Later you can change the speakers and upgrade to something better. If you need to make a proper investment now itself, you may want to consider the Yamaha RX V 375 or Denon X500 with Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 speakers.

There are a lot of speakers and AVRs available, it all depends on your budget, requirements and ofcourse the system size to fit in your place. You can click on my user name to see a variety of recommendations in Home Theatre systems.

Hello,

Im looking forward on purchasing the Yamaha YHT 196 & some reviews would be really helpful. I've checked a few out on other websites, most stated it worthy for what yamaha are charging. While there have been some Complaints about its Bass not being upto the mark, please clarify on the same.

Vinay2013, since you already own the system it would be really helpful if you clarify on the same.

Hello,

Im looking forward on purchasing the Yamaha YHT 196 & some reviews would be really helpful. I've checked a few out on other websites, most stated it worthy for what yamaha are charging. While there have been some Complaints about its Bass not being upto the mark, please clarify on the same.

Vinay2013, since you already own the system it would be really helpful if you clarify on the same.

It has a passive sub but bass is great for the movies. It is more than enough for the price. Moreover receiver has a setting to increase Bass and treble in addition to sub volume and cross-over settings and equalizers for each channel. My room is not treated hence I sometimes feel Boomy Bass.

Hope this helps

Thanks efernand1 & Vinay2013.

I've read the reviews, gone through the product manuals and watched what videos I could find on YouTube. I like the system, but I haven't been able to find a place to have an audition at.

Can anyone suggest a retailer who would have this item in stock in Pune, MH?

I can see it on the Vijay Sales website but the one close to my home does not carry Yamaha. They are asking for Rs 27,990.

Also, SnapDeal has the same system for Rs 26,130. Is buying HiFi equipment from SD advisable?

Cheers!

[EDIT]
Some online reviews suggest overheating in the AVR. Is that true for all YHT-196s; or just isolated cases? Does anyone know the failure rates of this system?

Last edited:
Check Reliance or Croma Stores. They must have it.

It is normal for AVRs to generate some heat and normally it does not cause any problem. Little ventilation is ideal but don't worry much about this. Do not keep it covered while using. In my personal opinion, if you can stay in the kind of atmosphere (read temperature) of your room, it should be ok.

This system is available at ebay for around 22K. I think you should look at other options as well if you can not find it under 24K.

Vinay2013, Thank you for that input. Further to add on, my usage would be 50% Movies & 50% Music & you've already mentioned its good for movies, what about Music? is the bass deep & clear at higher volumes?

karanmalhotra86, Even i happened to Visit Vijay sales today & they quoted exactly the same price. I managed to bargain & bring it down to 27k if i paid the amount in cash.

I did get a preview of the HT it sounded pretty decent, way much better than those sony & lg ht's. The retailer did happen to mentioned it would sound much better at your residence as the showroom was a bit opened & spacious. they even mentioned this system should suffice my 400sq ft living room. Vinay2013, you agree with this?

Which Vijay Sales did you visit? I would like to visit and check it out.
I tried to call them and ask but they never picked up the phone.

As for the price, try SnapDeal.

karanmalhotra86, Even i happened to Visit Vijay sales today & they quoted exactly the same price. I managed to bargain & bring it down to 27k if i paid the amount in cash.

Music is fine for the price. Bass is good too. Vocals are natural and clear.... but... personally, for music I am more happy with my very humble/simple stereo set up as somehow I find it more enjoyable even if Bass is little less as compared to YHT196. It may be psychological as well since Yamaha system has full range small speakers while my stereo speakers have dedicated woofer and tweeter. I would suggest to audition yourself and decide.

Yes. USB feature is missing but it should not be a deal breaker because it is always available in the player (either media player, DVD or Blu ray player).

Additionally, I think if current price is around 27K, it is always better to go for YHT299 or other options, Can also consider a pioneer entry level AVR + Boston XS 5.1

Yes, I can always plug in the USB to the TV.

I am also slightly concerned about the speakers being full ranged instead of 2way. I could hear the difference while testing out two of Sony's systems last week. The 2-way seemed fuller.

How about this, Pioneer HTP 071? Rs 20k on snapdeal!

Hi Karanmalhotra86

If you want 2 way speakers which are compact...go for Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1. These speakers cost around 24k on HiFi Mart. They are true 2 way speakers and the bass is outstanding from the powered woofer. I enjoy every movie / music moment with it.

In terms of AVR, Pioneer has the VSX 323 which is entry level and has no audessey. The VSX 523 has audessey. However, would recommend you to hook it up to a Yamaha RX V 375. If you have budget, you may want to consider a Marantz NR 1504.

All the best.

I have no doubt that would be a killer system. But alas! Budget constraints would not let me spend that much on an AV system right now. Maybe in a decade. :sad:

I found a Croma store that carried the BA Soundware XS Digital Cinema 2.1 system (Active) for Rs 45k. Outrageous price! Somehow I did not find the quality that I hoped for in that system. Maybe it was the setup in the store.

Hi Karanmalhotra86

If you want 2 way speakers which are compact...go for Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1. These speakers cost around 24k on HiFi Mart. They are true 2 way speakers and the bass is outstanding from the powered woofer. I enjoy every movie / music moment with it.

In terms of AVR, Pioneer has the VSX 323 which is entry level and has no audessey. The VSX 523 has audessey. However, would recommend you to hook it up to a Yamaha RX V 375. If you have budget, you may want to consider a Marantz NR 1504.

All the best.

Yes, I can always plug in the USB to the TV.

I am also slightly concerned about the speakers being full ranged instead of 2way. I could hear the difference while testing out two of Sony's systems last week. The 2-way seemed fuller.

How about this, Pioneer HTP 071? Rs 20k on snapdeal!

I have not heard it personally but according to the reviews, Pioneer systems are forward with great bass.

Any entry level system from Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer and Denon is more than enough to satisfy first time user provided you set it right according to your taste.

Hence, I will again suggest you the following:

• Decide your budget. make provision for + or -5K and stick to that
  • List your key priorities that you want from your system
  • Audition only those system that fall in your budget
  • Shortlist based on performance and features
  • Try to find best price for that particular model. Bargain hard. Note for any company if a newer model is launched, prices of previous models fall significantly and you may find great deals. In normal circumstances you can get discount ranging from 10-15% and it can go upto 25-30%.

If you are not able to find the choices to Pune, Mumbai is the hub of all these and you may find great deals there if you are willing to spend some time.

karanmalhotra86, i tried out the Vijay Sales here in Mumbai.

Vinay2013, whats your view on Pioneer HTP-072? its got some additional features compared to the YHT196. As per the pioneer website the price is 30k which seems like a good deal.
The YHT 299 is quoted @ 38k which is way too much for me right now.

karanmalhotra86, i tried out the Vijay Sales here in Mumbai.

Vinay2013, whats your view on Pioneer HTP-072? its got some additional features compared to the YHT196. As per the pioneer website the price is 30k which seems like a good deal.
The YHT 299 is quoted @ 38k which is way too much for me right now.

I have not heard it hence can't comment but normally all these systems sound great though they have slightly different sound signature.

As I said earlier, you can expect 10% to 20% discount.

Pioneer -072 is available with Reliance Digital for 32K with a free 24" AOC LCD. You can't unbundle the same.

@karanmalhotra86

Please check out Reliance Digital at Pacific Mall or Pheonix Market City..

They are having Onkyo too..

I took a demo of Yamaha 194, 299 and Onkyo 3400 (may be its an old model)..

Liked Onkyo among them ... It was for 26k.

I went to the Reliance Digital @ Phoenix MarketCity and found the Yamaha 196. The salesman had no idea what he was doing. He gave me an AUX cable and told me to test the system via my smartphone. Needless to say, I found the system and the shop undeserving of the price tag. The base was too low for my liking as well. I was not allowed to look at the back panel of the receiver as it was "fixed". All speakers were kept in a bunch - so no chance of any surround effect too. Poor salesman ship might have compromised the audio quality of the product. Frankly, the Sony Center next door showed me better quality audio on their HTiB!

The EZone chap told me that they did carry Onkyo 3400, but it has been out of stock for some time. And that new stock might not come. And that no other store sells Onkyo!

I am planning to go to the HiFi shop at MG Road/East Street this weekend. Maybe I'll find something better there.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back