Yamaha yht196 performance rating

Naveenbnc

Hi All,

I have been using YHT196 for the last 6months.
I feel the performance rating can be given as follows:

Movies : 9/10
Music : 6/10

(Sub woofer is a bit week and passive one though..)
I am strictly talking about systems in the price range of 22-24k
Do you agree with me people?

Thanks
Naveen

Hi All,

I have been using YHT196 for the last 6months.
I feel the performance rating can be given as follows:

Movies : 9/10
Music : 6/10

(Sub woofer is a bit week and passive one though..)
I am strictly talking about systems in the price range of 22-24k
Do you agree with me people?

Thanks
Naveen
Definitely... At 22k it is still the best Htib.. Though ull need to add an active sub with it..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I agree with your experience. I have the same AVR and have been using it since last 2+ years.
The HTR 2064 is a decent AVR rated at around 100 W per channel at 8 ohms. This is generally sufficient for home use. The HTIB speaker system isn't great. I guess they throw in the speakers as a freebie along with the AVR. :D
To get full value of the AVR, consider upgrading your speakers (that's what i did quite recently). Or at least, add an active sub. You will notice the difference.

Hi AUDIOHDR... thanks for the reply...
If you don't mind can you let us know which speakers or subwoofer you added lately?
I am looking forward for an upgrade. It will be great help.

Thank you...
Naveen

I use a Pioneer S-51W with my YHT-196, it does make a huge difference. I've also upgraded to Q Acoustics 2010 for my fronts, Heco Victa 101 for my center, Dayton Sat BK for my rear. I'm really happy with my setup, the upgrade bug has stayed away from me for now. The only downside is that AVR cannot decode DTS-HD MA, my blu-rays work with core-DTS for now. I've read in several forums that the difference noticed between DTS-HD MA and DTS is very marginal, so unless I hit upon a lottery :eek:hyeah:, I'll stick to my existing setup.

Hi Karan... thanks for the reply.
Can you give Any suggestions on the active sub please...

-Naveen
Bro.. Its strictly on ur budget.. How much u can spend on sub... Like for me max cap was 25k.. So bought elac s10 sub and it is fabulous for my 8x9x10 room..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi AUDIOHDR... thanks for the reply...
If you don't mind can you let us know which speakers or subwoofer you added lately?
I am looking forward for an upgrade. It will be great help.

Thank you...
Naveen

I got Boston Acoustics speakers. A 26 for fronts, A 25 for rears, A 225 C center channel and ASW 250 Sub.
Speakers are awesome, very clean and great for both music and movies. I would have liked the center channel to be a little brighter...I had to bump up the volume in my AVR by 3 db to make dialogues audible at "neighbor happy" volumes. The sub is down firing and does create issues with the people living downstairs. I have had to be very diplomatic with them after i started using the setup. :lol: Placing it on a DIY base using Styrofoam sheets has helped a little at the cost of the sub's overall performance (but at least i can use it). Still looking for a permanent solution.

Correct me if im wrong... as far as i know, the AVR of YHT196 is 100W when only 1 channel is connected. Not 100W per each channel....

Correct me if im wrong... as far as i know, the AVR of YHT196 is 100W when only 1 channel is connected. Not 100W per each channel....

No, it's per channel 100w/ch. Please check manual.

Minimum RMS Output Power (1 channel driven)
(1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 6 ?)
FRONT L/R........................................................................100 W/ch CENTER .................................................................................100 W SURROUND L/R...............................................................100 W/ch (50 Hz, 0.9% THD, 6 ?)
SUBWOOFER ........................................................................100 W

No, it's per channel 100w/ch. Please check manual.

Minimum RMS Output Power (1 channel driven)
(1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 6 ?)
FRONT L/R........................................................................100 W/ch CENTER .................................................................................100 W SURROUND L/R...............................................................100 W/ch (50 Hz, 0.9% THD, 6 ?)
SUBWOOFER ........................................................................100 W

That is clearly mentioned as 1 channel driven, ie when only one speaker is being connected and driven. This is useless. They have mentioned in next section that 2 Ch driven it is 80W+80W. So 6 channel driven will be even lower. In website they mention nominal output as 30 w per 5 channels and Subwoofer as 50W. This is a more realistic rating. So total output all channel driven (nominal) is around 200 W.

That is clearly mentioned as 1 channel driven, ie when only one speaker is being connected and driven. This is useless. They have mentioned in next section that 2 Ch driven it is 80W+80W. So 6 channel driven will be even lower. In website they mention nominal output as 30 w per 5 channels and Subwoofer as 50W. This is a more realistic rating. So total output all channel driven (nominal) is around 200 W.

i second you brother.. i had this AVR ... it is still the best at the price it is coming for... though the only drawback with yamaha is their after sales service, which is worst.

Guys. Is it worth buying Yamaha yht 196 now ? Its still showing on yamaha India's official webiste. I got a deal for ?24,000/- Please guide me on this.

Guys. Is it worth buying Yamaha yht 196 now ? Its still showing on yamaha India's official webiste. I got a deal for ?24,000/- Please guide me on this.

as a start up A/V enthusiast and if your budget is only within 25K then yes. However be aware that the speakers and Subwoofer bundled with Yht-196 aren't great. As a receiver it is a decent performer.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv

Yes... I would say reciever is definitely worth the price. Only thing i miss is usb port and active sub. But we get waht we pay for. In that price, yht 196 is worth every penny. Adding an active sub adds lot of punch and satisfies us for sure.

Guys.. earlier i made some wrong judgements on yht196. I taught is was not that good. But mistake was on my side. My music SOURCE was not good. With a good music or media SOURCE, yht 196 works great for the price. U can happily use it, and add an active sub later. This is a good system for its price indeed.

as a start up A/V enthusiast and if your budget is only within 25K then yes. However be aware that the speakers and Subwoofer bundled with Yht-196 aren't great. As a receiver it is a decent performer.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv

Thanks for the reply guys. I can extend my budget to 30k if needed. So planning to go forward with yht 1840. But was out of stock at Reliance Digital Kochi. Can you suggest me any other brand with their model number aswell ?

there isn't much of a difference between YHT-196 & YHT-1840 except that latter can decode TRU-HD and DTS-HA MA, there is still no YPAO and comes with a passive sub. YHT 2910 may be a better choice and you may not feel the urge to upgrade soon.

regards,
Rajiv

Went to Reliance Digital, Kochi and auditioned YHT 2910. The musica source was not great i think. It sounded so plain. Even the sales man knows nothing about the system. The price they quoted was ?43,990/- Anyway i am planning to go ahead and purchase it by Diwali. Hope Reliance bring up some offers for diwali. Fingers crossed.

Went to Reliance Digital, Kochi and auditioned YHT 2910. The musica source was not great i think. It sounded so plain. Even the sales man knows nothing about the system. The price they quoted was ?43,990/- Anyway i am planning to go ahead and purchase it by Diwali. Hope Reliance bring up some offers for diwali. Fingers crossed.

Do check reliance digital extended warranty along with it, I brought Yht 299 with 2 years extended warranty at 34.5K from them in 2015.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back