YAMAMOTO YDA01 Kit - My new DAC build

cmsajith

Last edited:
Following are the quick pics taken: (Will post the clear pictures later)

- 1 x DAC Main Board with Dual Burr Brown PCM1794 and Cirrus Logic CS8416 receiver along with the separate 7 x Power supply regulators. All the surface mounted parts are already soldered at the factory.

IMAG0331 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0333 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- DAC Main board parts

IMAG0334 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- 1 x Solid State Output stage with 2 x power supply regulators

IMAG0342 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- SS Output stage parts

IMAG0347 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Accessories List:

- AYRE Power supply Conditioner : This conditioner is used in Ayre's high end DACs / CDPs (Ayre Acoustics Technology)
IMAG0339 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- WBT RCA connectors
IMAG0337 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- 4 x RCore Transformers (procured through OMishra)
IMAG0348 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- 7N UPOCC pure Copper wires for internal connections
IMAG0341 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Why did you choose this one? The single most important reason?

--G0bble

This is a blind buy based on the experts and user reviews and most important is that it is recommended by Abhi than anything else after Reimyo. Initially I had shortlisted Remiyo DAP 777 / Metrum Octave / AP DAC / Yamamoto YDA01. Vinny had introduced me to Metrum, but based on the online comparisons (user level listening impressions) with Yamamoto YDA01 and the lack of 192KHz support in Metrum, I madeup my mind for this dac.

Most of the reviews praises on the design of this dac which is simple and unique (w/o any unwanted gain stages or filters / feedback option for experimenting on the o/p stage by putting on a separate board / zero-feedback single-ended transistor in the o/p stage bla bla bla...)

Last edited:
Congrats cmsajith,

Eagerly awaiting the build to be completed & your feedback once its ready :)
Do keep us posted on the progress.

Enjoy
:)

Congrats cmsajith :clapping:

Please keep us posted on the progress.

Most of the reviews praises on the design of this dac which is simple and unique (w/o any unwanted gain stages or filters / feedback option for experimenting on the o/p stage by putting on a separate board / zero-feedback single-ended transistor in the o/p stage bla bla bla...)

Any idea on what output boards you like to experiment with? Or you mean the IV board supplied has the option of having feedback too?

Congrats cmsajith :clapping:

Please keep us posted on the progress.

Any idea on what output boards you like to experiment with? Or you mean the IV board supplied has the option of having feedback too?

A tube version... but from the reviews, SS is better in SQ and also b'coz I am using a tube pre (Acoustic Portrait PM1)

Last edited:

Noooo! I was hoping you brought it for one of these qualities like
  1. Musicality
  2. Purity in Tonality
  3. Cohesion
  4. PRAT
  5. etc
  6. etc

Did you forget about the music and go just for the hardware/implementation? :eek:hyeah: ;)

--G0bble

Unless I personally hear I cannot comment on any of those properties. Till that time I can vouch only on the h/w implementation.

Noooo! I was hoping you brought it for one of these qualities like
  1. Musicality
  2. Purity in Tonality
  3. Cohesion
  4. PRAT
  5. etc
  6. etc

Did you forget about the music and go just for the hardware/implementation? :eek:hyeah: ;)

--G0bble

After a long gap I could do some progress on the dac build. Assembled all the 9 power supply boards (tested separately, using a normal UNITY multi-meter, 4 boards are showing a difference of .1 volt difference from the required volt and are fluctuating randomly (all others are showing exactly 3.3v and 5v continuously), Is it safe and what could be the reason) and assembled them to the main board using connector legs and assembled the main board parts as well. Also made progress in the SS o/p board and connected them using 6N pure copper wires. So the assembling is almost complete and fixed them on a temporary ply board (same size as the final enclosure).

> I have used 6N pure copper wires for connecting the dac main board and the o/p stage. Do we need to use the 6N copper for the power supply also for both main board (7 sets) and o/p stage (2 sets)? Is the purity of the copper in anyway critical for the power supply (from RCores to the PS pcb)? How good is the CAT5 cables compared to the 6N copper? I am planning to use 3 wires braided together for each board (+ - +). Please advice.

Specs:
- 2 RCores x [2 x 15v w/ .354A each] 10vA
- 2 RCores x [2 x 7v w/ .7A each) 10vA

>Is it recommended to fix all the 4 RCores on a single plane (to prevent the mutual interference if any)?

Last edited:
Back