Yet another Advanced TL Book-shelf - Images

Hari Iyer

24vofmh.jpg

w978mh.jpg

2whh4xj.jpg

hug9rs.jpg

The cross-over is now designed with a new evolved method after my years of experience designing them. As you can see from the simulation it is theorotically a perfect curve w.r.t. FR, impedance and filter phase. Hence the imaging, detailing and overal FR is excellent. The bass is tighter, the mid-range and highs mellow. This speaker requires a minimum power of atleast 15 watts to be driven better. My tubes are not able to do full justice to this speaker because of their lower power (6 watts) but are still able to drive them at 9 o'clock volume position. Overall i would say a very good value proposition. Best is to hear them out as perceptions could vary a lot with speakers.

This speakers will be with me till the end of this week after which it will be delivered. If any FM wants a listen then i can manage that any time this week. All are welcomed.:)

The cross-over is now designed with a new evolved method after my years of experience designing them. As you can see from the simulation it is theorotically a perfect curve w.r.t. FR, impedance and filter phase. Hence the imaging, detailing and overal FR is excellent. The bass is tighter, the mid-range and highs mellow. This speaker requires a minimum power of atleast 15 watts to be driven better. My tubes are not able to do full justice to this speaker because of their lower power (6 watts) but are still able to drive them at 9 o'clock volume position. Overall i would say a very good value proposition. Best is to hear them out as perceptions could vary a lot with speakers.

This speakers will be with me till the end of this week after which it will be delivered. If any FM wants a listen then i can manage that any time this week. All are welcomed.:)
Hi Hari,
I would like to come and listen to them during the weekend, can I?

Congrats Hari Sir,

I would like to know how low does it go? I remember my PMC used to go <40hz and I sometimes crave for it.

Simulated Response of the speaker system:

dc36yu.png

Also, could you make it easy for a layman like me to understand this graph?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Hari Sir,

I would like to know how low does it go? I remember my PMC used to go <40hz and I sometimes crave for it.

The low frequency is around 35Hz @ -6dB reference level and is a function of the room placement too. If you can get the perfect spot for the speakers at your home then it will be an excellent situation. If you have to compromise on placement then you have to consider other options of room treatment and EQs.

Also, could you make it easy for a layman like me to understand this graph?

Thank you

The top green is the low frequency response with the filter & zobel compensation. The top red is also the high frequency response with the filter & other compensation network used. The top yellow is the summed response of the both the woofer & tweeter and is the FR of the speaker system.

The center green is the impedance phase of the speaker system and shows how the load varies across the band-width ie. from low to mid to high. Below 0 deg the load is considered to be capacitive, above 0 deg the load is inductive and at exactly 0 deg the load is considered to be purely resistive. A good speaker system will provide a pure resistive load to the amplifier with no change in the load impedance across the band-width and is difficult to achieve other than a full-range speakers. A load variation of around 30 deg either inductive or capacitve is acceptable anything more will display as brightness or listening fatigue. Also the amplifier will find it difficult to drive such speakers.

The bottom red is the impedance curve of the speaker system.

The cross-over freq for this speaker is 1926Hz which is seen by the vertical yellow line and the nominal impedance is around 4 ohms from the red impedance curve.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
same mid bass driver ?
same tweeter ?

Yes everything same, even the box. But what has drastically changed is the crossover network with a completely different methodology of design, measurement and tweaking making the speakers unique.

Quite good looking speakers, Sounding wonderful too as you said Hari. Congratulations!

One question, for same placement, having everything else same, how different music will be reproduced if the speaker is turned upside down with required gap for the TL port?

I think your design is quite unique in having the port on the top. Does anybody else do so?

Superb work Hari...and people...I'm the proud owner..can't wait to pick them up...:-D.
If any fm has confirmed a listening session let me know, I will adjust my pick up schedule accordingly
I should mention to all fellow fms that this'll be the last chance to hear these speakers for some time as I'm moving to another country soon and I'll be carrying these babies with me

I should mention to all fellow fms that this'll be the last chance to hear these speakers for some time as I'm moving to another country soon and I'll be carrying these babies with me

How much they weigh?

Quite good looking speakers, Sounding wonderful too as you said Hari. Congratulations!

One question, for same placement, having everything else same, how different music will be reproduced if the speaker is turned upside down with required gap for the TL port?

I think your design is quite unique in having the port on the top. Does anybody else do so?

A gap of around 2 to 2.5" minimum is required if you place the speakers upside down. Infact this method will give even more tighter bass due to the support the terminus gets from the floor. Having the terminus at the top allows for easy placement of the box against the wall too if placement is an challenge.

A gap of around 2 to 2.5" minimum is required if you place the speakers upside down. Infact this method will give even more tighter bass due to the support the terminus gets from the floor. Having the terminus at the top allows for easy placement of the box against the wall too if placement is an challenge.

Exactly! I can not imagine a case where placement is problem due to down firing speaker alignment but is okay with up firing unless down firing is giving too tight bass because of combined wall and floor supporting gain in SPL.

Congrats hari :clapping:

May be you can charge and share the cabinet dimensions, driver details and the crossover network to outstation interested members as completely built speakers could be a challenge in shipping as the weight is heavy. I think some people might be interested in building based on your design albeit at a charge.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back