Your inputs, please

b6e869ef15b8c98aa716910472f594f7.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using Tapatalk

My Pioneer vsx 1131 ........at last ....will give feedback once connected today......

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using Tapatalk

Congrats to the trio on your new AVR purchases!

@Venkatcr,
Glad that you've been flexible enough to change over to something other than your initially favorite Onkyo.

By the way, you've also mentioned about "the plague" which is affecting this exclusive club of AV aficionados. Or is it something happening only in Chennai?

Two very interesting things have happened over the last few days.

When I completed my audit of AVRs and decided what I wanted to buy, I was stuck by one thing that was very strange. In spite of my leaving my phone number and my contact details, NONE of the dealers have called me to check or to push me to buy. In reality, last week it was I who was calling the dealers. I wonder why this is happening.

I've delved upon this subject in @Kannan Balasubramanian's post too. Both you & KB have given a plain vanilla feedback; easier to comprehend. Hope these exclusive dealers attach some value to this forum and give due respect to the views expressed here. This forum should be real feedback to them and they should try to learn on how to excel in customer service and close a deal.

Actually, when you had started this thread in Jan, if I had been Onkyo dealer (I wish), i would've closed the deal then and there itself. I wouldn't have let an existing Onkyo fan to move over to some other brand.

I wonder if at all any (Chennai) shop owners/manager are members here. Simply put, they're losing their revenue! They should learn on how to up sell (or to sell itself) from Prabu's kalyan jewellery ads!

Hi. I just went through all the pages in this post. Actually I expected someone to share their experience on pioneer lx59. But Unfortuntely Mr. Venkatesh too decided on Marantz. I don't mean any offense against Marantz. Actually I'm kind of confused between 3 receivers. My first choice based on user reviews would be Onkyo tx rz900, 2nd would be denon 4200 and the third would be pioneer lx59. I'm from chennai, and Onkyo being highly priced in India, I'm thinking of two options
Option 1:
Get an Onkyo 900 from USA through my friend, which would be 110/120V and have it stepped down using a Isolated transformer. My concern would be the difference in frequency 50Hz vs 60Hz. Though I see in many forums that the frequency difference is not an issue for Audio. I didn't hear from anyone who have actually stepped down (and operated with different frequency) successfully without any issues. I didn't see negative side either. The reasons I'm inclined towards Onkyo 900 are its build quality, pure cinematic performance, frequency as low as 5Hz (that's what they claim and so are the users) and it is THX certified.
Option 2:
Get pioneer sc lx59 or denon x4200w here in chennai (onkyo 900 is way beyond my budget if bought in India). In one of the post Venkatesh did mention that pioneer lx59 performance is very close to the Onkyo he had earlier. Sir I would like to know which one would you pick if you are to choose between pioneer lx59 and the onkyo 900 if both are priced similarly?? (US price of onkyo 900 equals pioneer lx 59 and denon4200 in India)

The reason I narrowed down these receivers is that I won't be investing on receiver for the next 6-7 yrs or unless new upcoming technologies would render these useless.

Awaiting many opinions.

Thanks
Rathinavel Kumaran

every 1 or 2 years technology changes.
first 5.1,then 7.1 ,then various audio formats,then airplay ,then bluetooth ,then dolby,then auro 3d ,now dts-x ,upcoming is wireless HDMI connection ....hoping so. My friend we have to keep investing and upgrading .no excuse .Selection & Upgradation bug is controlled by money for investment in new gear after all personal commitments and self control. Various forum member reviews will make us to think of upgradation or selecting particular model AND decent pricing or friend coming from abroad or seconds sale on forum will keep us itching for purchasing or upgradation .
one fine day can't control that itch or urge and new AV equipment will come for sure .For some people after 6 months or 1 year or 2 years.
For first time buyers utter confusion.Most of dealers will not give decent demos.Hope they are listening .Same has been told by other members.
Don't worry about others opinion's , trust ur ears ,feelings and guts.
go ahead and buy whatever u like after satisfying urself.
Finally DENON ,MARANTZ,YAMAHA all have to survive by selling their models .
Rathan welcome to sonic nirvana.
All the best for your selection .
Enjoy music
enjoy forum & discussions.

Last edited:
Thanks much Sachin.Shiva. You mentioned right. Most of the dealers were not able to give proper demos. They feel it's all not worth investing. Reason being people go in for demo, feel it out, and once they had narrowed down with what they have to get, they buy elsewhere for lesser price. Dealers too need better sales personnel who can make the customers buy. Lack of sales professionalism, competitive pricing, customer follow up and few more reasons really brings down their business. So they feel why invest so much which isn't fruitful.
Haven't decided yet. Let's see. Will update soon on improvements if any.

Last edited:
I have received the Marantz. Other than unpacking and ogling at it, I have not done anything. Been very busy with office work. And unfortunately one of my front speakers has conked out. Getting the drivers replaced.

Off the bat, the one thing that impressed me about the 5010 was the way it upscales the video. The images are crystal clear, the colors are beautifully balanced, and even old movies close to Blu-ray in definition.

There seems to be a HDMI handshake issue with my HTPC. Unless I boot the HTPC after the Marantz is on, the HTPC does not transmit the audio. This could also be an issue with EDID as I had modified the EDID of the HTPC to suit my original Onkyo 875. But, if I follow the sequence, it works beautifully.

I will post a unpacking this weekend, and follow up with a review as quickly as possible.

Thanks
I am getting a good price on Marantz SR5011, can you please provide the review you promised for the SR5010 (assuming both are basically same) as i also can't find a proper detailed review.

I am also looking at Yamaha RX-V683 from the same dealer.

Can you provide me any insights as you are using the marantz model for so long.

Thanks

I am getting a good price on Marantz SR5011, can you please provide the review you promised for the SR5010 (assuming both are basically same) as i also can't find a proper detailed review.

I am also looking at Yamaha RX-V683 from the same dealer.

Can you provide me any insights as you are using the marantz model for so long.

Thanks
It is practically the same as Denon x2300w. You can try finding reviews on that.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back