Your inputs, please

Have fun with the new toy Venkat. Sometimes it takes another person to give that last nudge. Good that it from within the family.
Class AB is not all that bad; it is proven technology.
Having 2 Matantz products at home PM7001 (8+ years) and NR1605 (1+ years), I can say they are quite reliable unless one does something extremely silly with them.
Look forward to your review.

Cheers,
Raghu

While i had not auditioned the Marantz 5010, it is easily the best specced of the lot for the price. Great choice Venkat sir.
I was looking something exclusively for movies and the unanimous opinion was that for my room size the 930 would be the best bang for the buck. And then i discovered a seller from Chennai Parry's who would give me the 930 for, hold your breath, 36k. That was too good to pass up and decided to take the risk of warranty etc. It is a sealed import from Singapore/Vietnam and is as good as the one i get from dealers here minus the warranty.
BTW, today i tried some subwoofer test tones from Genelec. In pure direct mode (without MCACC), the door vibrates and there is a lot of resonance between 30-40hz. When i play it in "direct" mode (engages MCACC) the resonance and vibration disappear. Looks like it is doing some good afterall. Will experiment more.

Last edited:
After wracking my brain over what to order, I have today ordered for the Marantz SR5010.
Wish me luck!!

Thanks

Oh Super choice. Another Marantz on the forum. Been using Airplay and Internet radio extensively on my Marantz 1504 (3 hrs every day in the morning) and till date it has never ditched me.

Looking forward to your unboxing, initial impressions, review, ideal settings, etc.

All the best.

MaSh

Marantz is probably one of those companies that does not send out their equipment for professional reviews.
Having made a name in the 70's and 80's, they probably don't need to get publicity from magazines, websites, etc.
Just like crowd funding, crowd appreciation or discrimination works well for them.
If the equipment is appreciated, then it adds to credibility of their design philosophy and commitment (whatever that means; the flavor of the season is "because music matters").
If it is called out, they can stay neutral like the Swiss and silently hope that the positive user reviews will drown out the negatives.
Worst case, they can say the user messed up or that is not how it should be used or some other mumbo jumbo.

As said earlier, I own 2 units from Marantz and do know a few friends in the US who have much older stereo equipment still running fine.
My only gripe against Marantz AVRs is the lousy UI; they are better than most in the game but still lousy.

Cheers,
Raghu

User reviews on sites like Amazon and Ebay are well and good for low end and mid-fi. I've picked a lot of good items from the likes of Monoprice, Cyber Acoustics, etc. only based on reviews and truly they are VFM and lasted for years.

However, there is hardly any high end stuff or reviews for them on such sites. Even if there are, it reads more like a comedy of errors with people making fun of the products instead of genuine reviews.

Taking what @sidvee said from another thread, its hard to get expensive equipment for reviews. In that case, professional reviewers are the only option left. This is true for other fields too. I watch a lot of YT for motor reviews and everybody from CNET to BBC only reviews Honda, Toyota, GM, BMW, etc. There are very few reviews for truly high end or exotic stuff like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, or the Bugatti Veyron.

Same can be said for wines and hotels, every travel channel/program does the generic holiday spots and eateries. How many have reviewed anything like Caviar?

Harbeth is an amazing speaker. But I can assure you if it was ever sold on Amazon, you'd find a lot of "funny" reviews with people making fun of it, like how they had to sell their firstborn or kidney, how it transports them to the deck of the Enterprise, etc.

A professional reviewer would however never make fun of anything like the Harbeths.

It cuts both ways.

End of the day, I always say, the reviews and even what we hear does not decide what we buy. For 99% the budget is the only thing that decides what we buy. Given that reviews are secondary, be it from professionals or actual users.

Hey Venkat what will be the rest in chain with Marantz? is there any Jr sibling of this particular Marantz model? My current Onkyo the MID's are not that clear I have to stress hard to hear the dialog

hello .....Venkat and Sash....Its long time. Weekend is over. Both of you have purchased the new receivers Marantz and Pioneer resp. Kindly give more insights about it specially the highs and lows effect on Movies and Musics. Thanks

I have ordered for the AVR. Yet to receive it.!!:mad::mad:

Cheers

Eagerly waiting for the reviews......

Last edited by a moderator:
hey sash After going through all the posts in this thread its seems Chennai is haven for audiophile .. if 930 is still available at that price? do they offer interstate shipping (Delhi) COD or online?

Thanks

Venkat,
Is the Marantz fully integrated into your home system?
How is it working out?
Cheers,
Raghu

hey sash After going through all the posts in this thread its seems Chennai is haven for audiophile .. if 930 is still available at that price? do they offer interstate shipping (Delhi) COD or online?

Thanks
Sent you a PM

I have received the Marantz. Other than unpacking and ogling at it, I have not done anything. Been very busy with office work. And unfortunately one of my front speakers has conked out. Getting the drivers replaced.

Off the bat, the one thing that impressed me about the 5010 was the way it upscales the video. The images are crystal clear, the colors are beautifully balanced, and even old movies close to Blu-ray in definition.

There seems to be a HDMI handshake issue with my HTPC. Unless I boot the HTPC after the Marantz is on, the HTPC does not transmit the audio. This could also be an issue with EDID as I had modified the EDID of the HTPC to suit my original Onkyo 875. But, if I follow the sequence, it works beautifully.

I will post a unpacking this weekend, and follow up with a review as quickly as possible.

Thanks

There seems to be a HDMI handshake issue with my HTPC. Unless I boot the HTPC after the Marantz is on, the HTPC does not transmit the audio. This could also be an issue with EDID as I had modified the EDID of the HTPC to suit my original Onkyo 875. But, if I follow the sequence, it works beautifully. Thanks

I had a similar issue.. When my PC goes to sleep mode Or not active for more than 15 mins, the PC wouldn't output any digital signal and AVR would display as "Analog" instead as "Digital".

Am not sure if your issue is the same, but hope you have set the PC to never sleep...

Congrats Venkat sir on your new purchase .Waiting for your detailed review on Marantz SR5010 in your home setup. Last 6months I was in a dilemma of picking SR5010 or x2200 .Finally due to financial requirements I've gone for x2200 .

Am not sure if your issue is the same, but hope you have set the PC to never sleep...

The PC never sleeps when it is on. Have to do some experiments. I will remove the EDID override I had inserted, and I am also inserting a new graphics card. That should resolve the issue.

I am confident it is a minor issue.

Thanks

The PC never sleeps when it is on.
It does when there is no operation or power saving mode is active.
When you install fresh Windows, automatically power saving mode is on.I have even experienced that playing Foobar to AVR,song used stop.When any keyboard button is pressed,it used to resume.
May be he is referring to similar.

I have received the Marantz. Other than unpacking and ogling at it, I have not done anything. Been very busy with office work. And unfortunately one of my front speakers has conked out. Getting the drivers replaced.

Off the bat, the one thing that impressed me about the 5010 was the way it upscales the video. The images are crystal clear, the colors are beautifully balanced, and even old movies close to Blu-ray in definition.

There seems to be a HDMI handshake issue with my HTPC. Unless I boot the HTPC after the Marantz is on, the HTPC does not transmit the audio. This could also be an issue with EDID as I had modified the EDID of the HTPC to suit my original Onkyo 875. But, if I follow the sequence, it works beautifully.

I will post a unpacking this weekend, and follow up with a review as quickly as possible.

Thanks

Thats great. Congratulations. Which speakers do you have? And how did the driver conk off?

Regarding the handshake, I have noticed this too some time between my TV and Receiver.

For example:
When TV and Receiver are On, the sound comes from the receiver. When I switch off the receiver, the sound starts coming from the TV after a second. Now, if I switched off the TV first and then the Receiver, this handshake does not happen. Due to this, next time when I switch on the TV, there is no Sound. I have to switch on the Receiver, the sound comes from it, switch it off, sound starts coming from the TV. This case does not occur always though.

I am assuming, such a situation is arising between your HTPC and Receiver.

Looking forward to your unboxing and initial impressions. Do create videos of possible.

MaSh

It may be a stupid suggestion, but have your tried changing your HDMI cable?

Hmmmm. Never occurred to me. Shall certainly try that.

Thanks

Thats great. Congratulations. Which speakers do you have? And how did the driver conk off?

The Wharfedale 9.5s. How? I don't know. Just one of those things. My home theater journey, I like to think, has been jinxed!!:). But I am determined to set everything right and start enjoying it to the max. Short of breaking a coconut everytime I enter my HT room, I will do everything possible.

Looking forward to your unboxing and initial impressions. Do create videos of possible.

Will do this weekend.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back