Youtube Review Channel for HFV

Do you think a Youtube Review Channel for HFV would be useful?

• Total voters

haisaikat

Hi Everyone, for some time i have been thinking of this idea, thought its time to socialize and get feedbacks. We have lot of reviews being posted here on HFV including of new AV gears and also we have threads to showcase our setup. But AV gears and setups cannot be just measured in some stills. Looking at the popularity of youtube reviews these days why dont we have a review / setup display / offers channel of our own?

To start with it can be a handful of members with good experience in AV and good ears of course start visiting setups of other HFV members in the city and post a 10-15 minute video of the system where some time will be spent on the member's AV journey in his own words and then he will give a walk through of his own system from components down to wires and room enhancements and collection of media. Finally the reviewer members will play certain music of their reference / choice on the system and it will be on the Video and give a closing verdict based on their opinion of the pros and cons. Such reviews can be categorized based on total setup budget, Integrated vs Pre-pow or SS vs TUBE or Flat Screen vs Curved TV or Atmos vs Normal HT, etc etc and posted on youtube channel.

Any copyrighted songs played can be masked in the video and posted separately on other sites like Soundcloud / etc so that there is no bar to monetize these videos on the youtube channel. Judges / mods of the forum can use the money to pay for HFV site running cost and also to award reviews based on several criteria to reviewers or system owners every quarter so as to allow enough time for the videos to get hits and optionally they can at their discretion may do some revenue sharing with participants to keep the interest growing for future work

Also the benefits of such a channel will be tremendous beyond just revenue and recognition.
1. We will get to know setups of our fellow members a lot of whom remain mostly silent because they do not want to write or have less time to spend writing.
2. Also new members can get ideas more easily on setup and get right direction.
3. Dealer members can post videos on New Arrivals and offers to get publicity.
4. Audio meets in the local cities can be publicized better even to people outside the forum.
5. DIY Communities will get publicity where people can learn how at a low budget DIY things can give performance equivalent to setups that cost many folds more. There may be videos of DIY process in making too apart from review of end setups
6. IF this channel matures then some very well reviewed or super high end setups can be reviewed cross cities
7. Interviews of Age old audio shop owners of the city or local DIY / spare parts areas walkthrough or even experienced AV servicing engineer's interviews can also be posted for the knowledge of everyone.
8. Videos of tips and tricks of optimizing setups or guides.

There must also be a linked Thread on HFV with ref of Video and Audio and a small writeup to ensure the spirit and breadth of the knowledge of this forum is also maintained.

Considering we have members from diverse regions, we can start in local groups from our cities and reviews can be in local languages and dubbed in English, easy on youtube. All that is required to get started is a team of enthusiastic folks and a mobile phone with decent camera. Audio can be optionally recorded using Pro Audio recording devices available on online websites easily but this is purely optional.

Ideas and thoughts welcome !!!! Love and Long-live HFV

Last edited:
I think this forum is great and quality of discussion and suggestions are worth appreciation. I feel enlighted after reading posts on this forum

Not sure about youtube channel as there are lots of channel out there some good and some confusing.

I think the initiative must start on a completely not for profit mode based on purely enthusiastic basis. If it takes off fine it may be considered for the next level, but mods and staffs should be the ultimate decision maker here. Its purely a suggestion for a addon channel of HFV and should not be looked upon as alternative to the articles on HFV which are invaluable and should continue coming and are what makes HFV great in the first place.

Mods, we got 22 votes in favour vs 5 being neutral till this point. Any chance we can discuss something further?

I don't think so here we can get an genuine clean report nor we have an experts here like in abroad so that on that basis others can buy those stuffs. Also not an very deep and healthy discussion were going on between members to generate an awareness which happened years ago.

If an youtube channel was opened it will be an banner for the products sold on hifimart and nothing of an other products which will be of interest to the whole community.

These day only discussion were on HT which were an common stuff and not on stereo.

nor we have an experts here like in abroad

I disagree, look at ROTMs and Individual reviews, those are great, and I think folks who start reviews abroad are not day 1 experts, and while some of them are great rest are all BS. Initial reviewers in each city can even be the most senior / experienced FMs of this forum and i consider their Hifi knwoledge and experience to be far more than foreign experts

If an youtube channel was opened it will be an banner for the products sold on hifimart and nothing of an other products which will be of interest to the whole community.

This will be open to mods to decide they will be the ultimate to take call on this but of course like this forum is still open for all brands if you read my original post of this thread the format of the reviews would also include whole setups of FMs including DIY stuffs. Of course if there are any conflict of interest w.r.t Hifimart products the mods can sort that out and set rules and eventually they review and approve upload of contents to channel provided all norms are met. This is destined to be a open community review channel. Of course if we find there are challenges to maintain neutrality of the review channel similar to this forum the same must be discussed and sorted out from time to time.

These day only discussion were on HT which were an common stuff and not on stereo

I agree, and the reviews does not have to be limited to be Stereo only, HT is also part. There are still many experts on this forum who are experts in Stereo and HT and have excellent world class setups in all price ranges.

Voted not sure.

There are many reviews video and text on the 'net. I find myself preferring the written word over the yt version. I find the written ones to be more clearly thought out and better organized, with better pics than some dude playing his stereo so that we can "appreciate" it or droning on with a foreshortened nose stuck into a camera. I think it takes a lot more time equipment and experience to produce a good description of a piece of kit or equipment. A review or a report with a video accompanying the text and pics would probably be interesting. None of this is to knock the idea or the suggested format, it would be interesting to see how it develops.

Learning how to do something - for instance I watch a lot of yt vids while working on my cycles - is a space where yt scores hugely over written stuff (I am not saying that it is a replacement for a manual). Some other stuff I fool around with uses the live format, that would be interesting. It might be very useful in the f/s section to have a video of the equipment working and doing its stuff

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Voted not sure.

There are many reviews video and text on the 'net. I find myself preferring the written word over the yt version. I find the written ones to be more clearly thought out and better organized, with better pics than some dude playing his stereo so that we can "appreciate" it or droning on with a foreshortened nose stuck into a camera. I think it takes a lot more time equipment and experience to produce a good description of a piece of kit or equipment. A review or a report with a video accompanying the text and pics would probably be interesting. None of this is to knock the idea or the suggested format, it would be interesting to see how it develops.

Learning how to do something - for instance I watch a lot of yt vids while working on my cycles - is a space where yt scores hugely over written stuff (I am not saying that it is a replacement for a manual). Some other stuff I fool around with uses the live format, that would be interesting. It might be very useful in the f/s section to have a video of the equipment working and doing its stuff

ciao
gr

I think DIY stuffs including Speakers, Cabinet making, Room Treatment, Speaker positioning, wire placements would be ideally represented in videos better. Also how to dos for TT Setup, meeting with FMs who have notable media collections and rare setups and sharing their experiences first hand would be awesome, this would be glorifying this forum and the folks shining it.

Voted Not Sure. As only advantage of this is people will get to see videos of FMs setup.

Voted Yes..
You Risk a lot if you don't try something new every year!

With next Gen of prospective audiophiles showing less and less patience, videos will be easier to gain knowledge than patiently reading all forum posts.

I strongly feel that even if not a channel to start with at least members can start posting videos with hfv tags . Things like home made diy tricks or even unboxing should be good place to start

@haisaikat, the initiative is good but the issue is who will monitor on whether the channel is not misused to sell the wares of members who are controlling the channel.
Just take step back and think, one of us did a review of a cd player and then posted. After 6 months, the person decides to sell. I am pretty sure that the person will post the yt video link. How can one plan to stop it.
So the intention of the not-for-profit review may not be controlled in this manner.

I am sorry but I am choosing not too sure, but we can very well try it.

A written review makes the mind think and try out things.
Video reviews are usually good for only some segments (like auto industry).
In many video reviews of AV equipment, I see guys fiddling with knobs and cables.

Let's keep it simple.

Cheers,
Raghu

How about we start with tips and diy stuff first related to AV context. Does not have to be a channel if we are not ready but a thread where individuals post their indigenous diy / tips / hacks videos?

Voted not sure.
This will require inputs of time and money. Some editing and standardizing will have to be done. Doubt if it can be done on a voluntary basis. Bit of a dampner, I guess.

Voted not sure.
This will require inputs of time and money. Some editing and standardizing will have to be done. Doubt if it can be done on a voluntary basis. Bit of a dampner, I guess.

If you look at the surge of karaoke singing apps (example: smule) abundance and popularity on Facebook and YouTube they do even more than just editing and nothing required you leaving the convenience of your mobile phone. Mobile apps have gone way ahead

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back