Z906- No sound from center and rear speakers

Mangesh26

Yesterday I purchased Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System and Asus Xonar DX Sound card.

I have connected my PC with the speaker system using both 6-channel direct and S/PDIF TOSLINK cable. Problem is, I am NOT getting any sound from the center and rear speakers while playing music and movies (only get 2.1 sound), but all the channels do work in games such as The Witcher 2. I tried this in both analogue and digital (Dolby) mode but still don't get any sound with music and movies. Only if I turn on the 3D stereo option on the speaker console (when in PCM mode) I get surround sound. This is very confusing and frustrating. I was under the impression that the Dolby Digital Live mode of Xonar DX transcodes any incoming audio stream into Dolby Digital surround bit-stream and outputs it thru 5.1 speakers.

Am I doing/understanding something wrong?? Please help!

Congrats,can you let me know the settings & media player used by you?

If you use vlc,then for getting 5.1 via analog,select audio device as Xonar(in directX sound out ,vlc).When you play movie,select 5.1 in audio setting in vlc like this-

If you want to use digital out,then select spdf out in vlc-

Last edited:
The surround you are getting in 3d mode is not actual surround just a software up mix. Multichannel music is rare however you should get surround sound from your Dolby digital or dts encoded movies by setting all you medial players as well as sound card settings to spdif out or digital out. This way the Logitech will detect the signal and display accordingly and you will get surround sound in movies.

Thanks spirovious!

I use Zoom Player for video playback and Winamp for audio. I downloaded VLC for testing purpose though, along with the latest K-lite mega codec pack and set the speaker output to 5.1. I also adjusted the settings in VLC as per your instructions. I have following observations:

1. If the source is stereo, the output will be stereo, no matter if I use analogue or Dolby. Indeed, the option 5.1 speakers does not even appear in the menu in such cases:

sprks.png

2. If there is a source encoded in 5.1, then I see 5.1 speakers option in VLC.

This is theoretically understandable. But what I still fail to understand what is Dolby Digital Live mode is and what's its exact use. Can you shed a light?

The surround you are getting in 3d mode is not actual surround just a software up mix.

True. :(

Multichannel music is rare

Do you know any source from where I can download and test multichannel music?

I have some complimentary CDs of dolby digital and dts multichannel music. You can download many live performance CDs like eagles, Santana etc from various torrent sites some of them are multichannel. The best sample I have heard is a 7.1 channel CD that came with my audigy ZS sound card which is absolutely terrific.

This explains what Dolby digital live is

Dolby Digital Live

This is theoretically understandable. But what I still fail to understand what is Dolby Digital Live mode is and what's its exact use. Can you shed a light?

Do you know any source from where I can download and test multichannel music?
So with 5.1 video files,you are getting surround perfectly.
DD live is a way of converting 2 ch music or video to 5.1.DX converts it on the spot.Now you get surround here,but not actual,still sound is enjoyable.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back