Zimbly and his Home theater

A brief update.. After a long overdue wait have finally managed to complete the layout of the HTroom. Also finalized on the speakers and have purchased a few of them. Decided to go with the deftech uiw rssiii for side and rear surrounds and the di6.5r for in ceiling.

Attachments

• IMG_20160226_165823.jpg
    IMG_20160226_165823.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20160226_175123.jpg
    IMG_20160226_175123.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 117
Guys need a bit of advise on the subwoofer. Was reading up on room nodes and while it's a given that using 2 subwoofers as opposed to one can counter some of the nodes, room correction can also largely influence the outcome when using a single subwoofer. Besides with 2 subwoofers in tandem, positioning also plays a role to get the best out of them.
As I'm restricted in my positioning the subwoofer below the screen whether one or 2 of them, I would be grateful to hear other FM views on this. The present list of subwoofers shortlisted is
1. Rhythmik fv15hp
2. Svs pb13ultra.
3. 2 x Svs 2000pb

Guys need a bit of advise on the subwoofer. Was reading up on room nodes and while it's a given that using 2 subwoofers as opposed to one can counter some of the nodes, room correction can also largely influence the outcome when using a single subwoofer. Besides with 2 subwoofers in tandem, positioning also plays a role to get the best out of them.
As I'm restricted in my positioning the subwoofer below the screen whether one or 2 of them, I would be grateful to hear other FM views on this. The present list of subwoofers shortlisted is
1. Rhythmik fv15hp
2. Svs pb13ultra.
3. 2 x Svs 2000pb

I used to have SVS PB13 Ultra and I can tell you no praise is too big for it. 2xPB2000 makes sense provided the space permits it.

As far as handling room modes is concerned, 2 is better than one and in turn 4 is better than 2. But you need to keep in mind more components means more effort required to make them work together.

Zimbly,

Given your room dimensions of 11x18, your first width mode is 51 Hz. Second width mode is at 102.6 Hz and its outside Subwoofer range (unless you cross over higher)
Length modes are - 1st at 31.3, second at 62.7 Hz.

If you have to take care of both these width and length modes, then you will have to place the subs at mid point of width and quarter points length wise. If quarter points lengthwise is not possible, then 1 sub at mid front wall, and 1 at mid back wall is another option.

Also, make sure your seating locations (listeners head) aren't in the place where the nulls are. These happen to be even divisions of room length, like 1/2, 1/4, 3/4 etc. Odd divisions are the best location, like 3/5, 4/5.

Thanks manoj for the explanation on the actual frequencies and seating positions.
Seating positions are at 2/3 and 7/8th the length of the room.
As for subwoofer placement the maximum leeway I have is placing both the subs in the front 1/3rd length of the room. I am keen on getting a single sub with lower extensions in base and correcting the room modes using treatment to an extent and the remainder with the preamps room correction to max extent possible.
So the question still plaguing me is given my restrictions in placement of 2 subs, would one sub in a somewhat treated room with room correction employed be a better option?

Putting two subs in front, at 1/3 locations will not make much difference to length room modes. You can only get rid of 1st width mode, but that can also be achieved by putting one sub mid point.

Are you planning to have a false ceiling? If yes - Have you thought about putting the subs in ceiling?

Thanks Manoj, as convenient as it sounds, the ceiling of off limits for the sub. The only speakers that go into the ceiling are the 4 atmosphere ceiling speakers. After some deliberation and reading up on subwoofers, all points considered, I have decided to go in for a single sub instead of 2 smaller ones. Will use room correction and acoustic treatment to even out the sub as much as possible.
Mostly will zero in on the rhythmik fv15hp.

Room correction and acoustic treatment will be immensely helpful. In real life room modes are not as scary as they seem to be. You watch a movie sitting at one location, not walking around. Once the room correction is applied, the response is quite acceptable at the listening position. So you should be good to go with this.

About the sub, did you audition it, or buying blind?

I have an audition lined up at a customers place in Mumbai. Will do that once I return in May. Have auditioned the lvx12 the smaller version of the fv15hp. Was quite impressed with that. So am tending to be fairly biased towards the bigger sibling. The other option is the svs pb13 ultra, which I did audition. Which was quite brilliant in its own right. The reason for the rythmik is the servo tech which tends to lean towards a tauter bass on paper. Caters to music with aplomb. Remainder part of the decision upon auditioning it.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back