1 lakh rs stereo vs avr in bi-amp.

Lots of speakers come with bungs to plug their ports. So can't be a bad idea on paper. But when I tried bunging my ports to achieve close wall placement. I found it killed the lower mid range, extending into the bass, and also the sense of openness and air. But it might be my isolated issue, as loads of speaker come with different bung sizes to achieve optimal placement.
Totally agreed i too tried with dynaudio and it restrain soundstage.

Totally agreed i too tried with dynaudio and it restrain soundstage.
Hi

I am just curious about the terminology

Soundstage according to Gordon Holt about "The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it."

So you are transported via your speakers and rig to the "you're there space" listening to the acoustics of the original space where the music was recorded.

For a speaker to do this, the room and placement for the stereo maya magic have to be just right. Specifically you don't want the spatial cues your expensive DAC painstakingly decoded being keema'ed and butchered by the spatial cues coming from your room. ***IF*** you have your reflections treated, then psychoacoustics ensures that the illusion of the soundstage is created. typically it is behind the plane of the speakers (OB, planar and boxes will all be "different" and we have our preferences)

In making your reflection free zone, I was listening to a Glen Kuras talk on yt where he talks about the importance also of treating the reflection while preserving the timbral quality of the direct sound (and I have no clue on how to do that. BBA sucks the shimmer, leaves the longer waves unaffected and cannot meet that requirement)

What are you talking about when your talking of "the sound stage becoming restrained" with and without the foam plugs ? It is the inverse problem of what I have and off a different wall.

ciao
gr

see these pages https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/dialing/7784/ and https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/depth/

Hi

I am just curious about the terminology

Soundstage according to Gordon Holt about "The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it."

So you are transported via your speakers and rig to the "you're there space" listening to the acoustics of the original space where the music was recorded.

For a speaker to do this, the room and placement for the stereo maya magic have to be just right. Specifically you don't want the spatial cues your expensive DAC painstakingly decoded being keema'ed and butchered by the spatial cues coming from your room. ***IF*** you have your reflections treated, then psychoacoustics ensures that the illusion of the soundstage is created. typically it is behind the plane of the speakers (OB, planar and boxes will all be "different" and we have our preferences)

In making your reflection free zone, I was listening to a Glen Kuras talk on yt where he talks about the importance also of treating the reflection while preserving the timbral quality of the direct sound (and I have no clue on how to do that. BBA sucks the shimmer, leaves the longer waves unaffected and cannot meet that requirement)

What are you talking about when your talking of "the sound stage becoming restrained" with and without the foam plugs ? It is the inverse problem of what I have and off a different wall.

ciao
gr

see these pages https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/dialing/7784/ and https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/depth/
As you described what sound stage is, when I plugged sponge in everything sound so small human voice, instruments everything as if it is coming of a small speaker, then to overcome that problem i again run audyssey, without sponge it always detect speaker as big and after sponge on it detected speaker as small and Limited it to 60hz only.
And as much i have read all it says is bigger speaker produce big soundstage.
May be i am wrong, but this is all i could make out from my experience.

And as much i have read all it says is bigger speaker produce big soundstage.
May be i am wrong, but this is all i could make out from my experience.

I run the horrible risk of misinterpreting what you wrote, but I don't think you are describing a soundstage or imaging issue, the foam plug reduces the bass extension.

Try out the LEDR test or the waterloo sunset track and see if the stereo image changes - my bet is it won't. But hey I have been wrong before

ciao
gr

I run the horrible risk of misinterpreting what you wrote, but I don't think you are describing a soundstage or imaging issue, the foam plug reduces the bass extension.

Try out the LEDR test or the waterloo sunset track and see if the stereo image changes - my bet is it won't. But hey I have been wrong before

ciao
gr
Haha, ok

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back