1 lakh rs stereo vs avr in bi-amp.

He already seems to own a 1 lakh priced AVR, that's why he posted it seems. If someone starts from scratch they may start the other route considering AVR design constraints.

Sub or not sub is preferential and yes there may be several ways to achieve that including the likes of crown amplifiers that come with built in cross-overs like newlash09 has rightly suggested.

Further for bi-amping there are power amps with inbuilt multichannel active cross overs but finding the right ones (used) may be chance and on preference per personel.

The OP now needs suggestions to reuse his AVR for stereo and utilise the room EQ too unless he is looking to sell off that too.
Yes i should rather power amp, but with a good power amp i will not need to bi amp it hope so.

He already seems to own a 1 lakh priced AVR, that's why he posted it seems. If someone starts from scratch they may start the other route considering AVR design constraints.

Sub or not sub is preferential and yes there may be several ways to achieve that including the likes of crown amplifiers that come with built in cross-overs like newlash09 has rightly suggested.

Further for bi-amping there are power amps with inbuilt multichannel active cross overs but finding the right ones (used) may be chance and on preference per personel.

The OP now needs suggestions to reuse his AVR for stereo and utilise the room EQ too unless he is looking to sell off that too.
Yes i own 6012 and wanted to know if its a big diff in stereo amp and worth then i would consider resell it and get a stereo amp.

Hi guys, was just thinking which one will give more depth in music. Comparing a 1 lakh rs stereo amp vs equivalent ab reciever in bi-amp mode.
What do all think?
If you want a blunt honest reply ...a 1 lakh AVR can’t hold a candle against even a 50 grand stereo amp when it comes to details of music ( staging, imaging, depth, details, transients , control, and tone quality )

Even high end AVRs (~1.5L and above) like Anthem / NAD which take music seriously cant match a proper well built stereo amp costing half the price (Rega / exposure / creeks)

Even with the so called controls and tuning features these AVR come with they still can’t match the quality because eq / room correction will try to correct the acoustic imperfections but they can’t correct the inherent tonal quality of music !

The THD values are obscene in AVR when you talk about real audiophile SQ; which is perfectly fine for movie watching, however for music they will feel quite bad beyond certain volume levels!

Hi again lalit...

9 inches from rear wall definitely rules out any rear ported floorstanders from the equation. You will have to consider front or bottom ported speakers. Some tannoy's come to mind :)

Secondly as haisaikat correctly mentioned , please consider high sensitivity speakers when planning to run off an avr. Pairing low sensitivity speakers with a multichannel avr is a recipe for disaster.

I know i sound like the bearer of bad news. But i use a marantz sr6011. So I know the ability that lurks in those boxes. So if you are patient and willing to go second hand, there will be some good kit coming up used from time to time. If I see anything that looks like a good match or a good deal I will ping you. Fondly hope that makes up for sounding like a villain in both my posts :D
I loved tannoy, heard it once a year back but then because of space problem didn't buyed it and it is not available, still i wrote a mail to new owner of tannoy musictribe but got no response from them.

Hi guys, was just thinking which one will give more depth in music. Comparing a 1 lakh rs stereo amp vs equivalent ab reciever in bi-amp mode.
What do all think?
Depth ? I've read that depth does not "really" exist in most modern recordings. It is created / added in the mixing step. Minimally miked Live recordings for instance "Meeting by the River" is maybe what you could try out
Its 14 * 12.4 size bed room.trying to fit tower in it.
Cannot put tower more than 9 inch from wall and can't even make proper triangle.
I don't know if it is possible, without a lot of work (see for instance sidvees post on setting up a small room . That setup has speakers 4 feet out. I have my panels a little more than that (I have my speakers positioned using the cardas method and my listening postioning is .38 of room length from the rear wall. I am still racking my brains trying to figure out where pesky reflections are to be killed, but have had some success, even if I am not satisfied, yet.
Take the LEDR test see if you get the Over track to arc reasonably or take the "Waterloo Sunset (stereo version)" (The Kinks) "test" if the bvocs wrap around your head and if the chorus appears to be coming at the plane of your ears, you are kind of set.
I am willing to wager that while equipment and recording are important, positioning and treatment are key/ vital. IMEHO it is game over before you begin if you for whatever reason cannot.
ciao
gr

Yes i own 6012 and wanted to know if its a big diff in stereo amp and worth then i would consider resell it and get a stereo amp.

Since you have sold off your other gears already its justified to sell off the AVR and look for all over from scratch for stereo setup. Check resell value, some days back a 6012 got sold on this forum for 70k. But in my opinion retaining it and then buying a speaker to match it and later on upgrading to stereo amp again and finding a matching amp is a lot of pain. Better start right, and after all a Fully loaded AVR like 6012 will have its value now in resell market rather than 5 years later when newer features will make it obsolete, something common in AVR market

I am planning for either b&w new 603 or monitor audio silver 300.

Both of them are sub 90db in sensitivity. But if it's a new setup you need to audition in your budget with preferable stereo amp s.

Thank you, yes i almost overlooked the possibility of adding a power amp rather than changing to stereo amp.
Adding a power amp should be equally good, is it?

Hi again lalit...

We all have different opinions of which is the right way ahead in this hobby. There is no single path that is right for everybody. The golden ideal will be to run a setup without EQ, and with room treatment as deemed necessary.

However, since I live in a small echo chamber, I find that adding EQ makes a larger difference to my sound, than upgrading my amp. So I have made a balanced decision to use the eq and sub integration of my marantz sr6011. And use the power of my power amp for drive and dynamic headroom. And after spending numerous days tweaking the positioning of speakers and settings in audyssey and on the sub. And then using audyssey multieq app to limit full range audyssey correction. I can say that I have achieved far better results, than what my stereo amp could have achieved in isolation. So that's my 2 cents from my experience. Your mileage might vary.

On second thought I think I should also post that my musical taste veers towards fast paced electronica and electropunk. So a sub is a must for me, and lot of power for the drive.

However for somebody more into vocals or classical music, a stereo amp will give a purer musical presentation. So even your musical taste will dictate what suits your needs the most.

Hi again lalit...

We all have different opinions of which is the right way ahead in this hobby. There is no single path that is right for everybody. The golden ideal will be to run a setup without EQ, and with room treatment as deemed necessary.

However, since I live in a small echo chamber, I find that adding EQ makes a larger difference to my sound, than upgrading my amp. So I have made a balanced decision to use the eq and sub integration of my marantz sr6011. And use the power of my power amp for drive and dynamic headroom. And after spending numerous days tweaking the positioning of speakers and settings in audyssey and on the sub. And then using audyssey multieq app to limit full range audyssey correction. I can say that I have achieved far better results, than what my stereo amp could have achieved in isolation. So that's my 2 cents from my experience. Your mileage might vary.

I think the room EQ is becoming more popular these days with stereo as many high ends of the likes of Kii audio products are using it. Would have loved to listen to your system. Unfortunately my AVR does not have pre-outs

I am planning for either b&w new 603 or monitor audio silver 300.

That's great choice. Both should be really good. For a 90db sensitive speakers like MA Silver and for moderate room listening, I've seen that a 5wpc class a amp (like Pass AmpCamp) was sufficient in my case. I use MA BX2 bookshelves which has 90db sensitivity. For a little headroom, I found 10wpc class a amp (like jlh 69) is enough.

Now audition as much as you can. And decide for yourself.

That's great choice. Both should be really good. For a 90db sensitive speakers like MA Silver and for moderate room listening, I've seen that a 5wpc class a amp (like Pass AmpCamp) was sufficient in my case. I use MA BX2 bookshelves which has 90db sensitivity. For a little headroom, I found 10wpc class a amp (like jlh 69) is enough.

Now audition as much as you can. And decide for yourself.
Yes looking to sensitivity of this speaker i am planing to biamp it for now and check how they perform then will decide on amp.

Now as i have to put it closer to wall thinking which would perform better 300 or 603.

Yes looking to sensitivity of this speaker i am planing to biamp it for now and check how they perform then will decide on amp.

Most people don't understand the power of bi-amplification. If one can afford, then bi-amping is always better option IMO.

I haven't heard MA silvers yet. But my BX2 suffers from high frequency reproduction. I've compensated that by putting a tube based tone control preamp. Now BX2 sounds sweet with better imaging than before. In case you feel that MA silvers (considering the fact that you are going with this) are failing to deliver highs, just add a tone control and I think you'll be happy

Now as i have to put it closer to wall thinking which would perform better 300 or 603.

You have to take the call after auditioning both of them. The ideal condition would be auditioning both keeping the room, placement, electronics and cables unchanged. That is next to impossible as I think almost no dealer will be keeping them both for auditioning.
Now keeping this factor in mind, you might have to visit different dealer's place which will have different environments. My suggestion is - don't judge any speaker instantly. A slightly inferior speaker in a better treated room will sound better compared to slightly better speaker in inferior room IMO.

Last edited:
Most people don't understand the power of bi-amplification. If one can afford, then bi-amping is always better option IMO.

I haven't heard MA silvers yet. But my BX2 suffers from high frequency reproduction. I've compensated that by putting a tube based tone control preamp. Now BX2 sounds sweet with better imaging than before. In case you feel that MA silvers (considering the fact that you are going with this) are failing to deliver highs, just add a tone control and I think you'll be happy

You have to take the call after auditioning both of them. The ideal condition would be auditioning both keeping the room, placement, electronics and cables unchanged. That is next to impossible as I think almost no dealer will be keeping them both for auditioning.
Now keeping this factor in mind, you might have to visit different dealer's place which will have different environments. My suggestion is - don't judge any speaker instantly. A slightly inferior speaker in a better treated room will sound better compared to slightly better speaker in inferior room IMO.
Yes, till now Both auditioned on youtube through good headphones , till now b&w seems more vibrant, i dont prefer too warm sound feels it kills excitement in some music.
Audition for both not available here,
Have anyone heard fyne 501?

To me ,stereo amp not necessarily coastly will sound better than avr.
I compared marantz pm 5004 35w with SR6006 which is 110w and pm5004 presented music much better way than avr.

The quality of the amp used only matters, despite configuration. We cannot say , biamping is always better than the normal stereo. Also, synergy between the speakers and the amp matters ever more in any configuration. I have a Marantz AVR (SR 8500)http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/marantz-sr8500-audio-video-receiver/ which can drive most 8 ohms speakers with ease. But my speakers are 4 ohms floor standers. Even with a 50w Myryad integrated, everything is more refined, tight 3d on my speakers, than the much higher on paper marantz. When I remove the binding post of my speakers , each of section is 8 ohms. So, I tried connecting 4 amps from the avr to these speakers, and set to all channel stereo - front channels driving mids and tweeters. Rear driving 2 woofers in the same box. Again, the myryad z142 directly connected to them sounded more tight more airy and 3d. Only thing is it wasnt power ful, the sound objects were smaller in size. I have now a z142 + z162(power amp from Myryad) in vertical biamping running them very well. In this case, it outperforms the Marantz by a huge margin in any combination. But I am pretty sure, if I just buy a Myryad 100 w per channel integrated, it will be as good as my vertical biamping setup. It just only increased the power of the z142 in a good way. Added weight to every object to be precise.

Large speakers can be accommodated in a small room but it will need acoustic treatment and hard work to find the correct placement.

As regards Mi_10's post, I would say it takes a bit of evolved listening to really be able to make out the difference so starkly.
Not many have that kind of evolved ears simply because of lack of exposure to proper music and the desire for serious listening.
Like my wife has been a music student and can hear subtle differences far more than what I can.

I was using an Arcam A70 amp earlier and had later biamped it with Arcam P80 power amp. The difference was noticeable but not very stark.

Both the models you have shortlisted are meant for large rooms, will not be a good match for your avr & ultimately you will be in a worse situation than before. Please rethink what you are planning, as it is a recipe for disaster.

Both the models you have shortlisted are meant for large rooms, will not be a good match for your avr & ultimately you will be in a worse situation than before. Please rethink what you are planning, as it is a recipe for disaster.
Can you suggest some model please.

O
Ther than this silver 200 was the only considerable model, but would it lack bass?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back