1 Rythmik FV15HP or 2 SVS PB2000

@argentum246 I started reading about subs a few days back. Just wanted to ask if you suffer from port noise. Chaufing noise from the port at really low frequency, eg starting of EDGE OF TOMORROW.
I'm off work (others are working for me) as of now, so I had a lot of time at hand. I won't be able to find a lot of sites that I quote from, but a few excerpt I would like to tell you
Most of us live in hard structured houses made of concrete and stone, so the surfaces create a very violent reflection which creates multiple null points (standing waves) in the entire room.
The ported subs performance also is a little hit or miss since most sub designers cater to wood and hardboard rooms and ports are designed keeping this in mind.
The minimum (common) frequency one can hear is 20Hz. Both SB and PB 2000, tuned properly, go well below the 20Hz mark for a - 3db drop. Since the hard surface isn't suitable enough for ported sub what is the problem with going for sb2000? It's tighter and will save port noise. It'll be a little low on sound but can easily be catered by increasing the gain. I have a klipsch reference s10 sw and it goes wild coz of the port noise. I read somewhere else that others have also faced similar issues with rooms my size.

Hello Bhoot o_O
Many have solved port noise issue by sound path isolators. You can try lifting the sub up and see if it changes the port chafing. I have not faced this issue. Also I have a heavy carpet in front of the sub

@argentum246 I started reading about subs a few days back. Just wanted to ask if you suffer from port noise. Chaufing noise from the port at really low frequency, eg starting of EDGE OF TOMORROW.
I'm off work (others are working for me) as of now, so I had a lot of time at hand. I won't be able to find a lot of sites that I quote from, but a few excerpt I would like to tell you
Most of us live in hard structured houses made of concrete and stone, so the surfaces create a very violent reflection which creates multiple null points (standing waves) in the entire room.
The ported subs performance also is a little hit or miss since most sub designers cater to wood and hardboard rooms and ports are designed keeping this in mind.
The minimum (common) frequency one can hear is 20Hz. Both SB and PB 2000, tuned properly, go well below the 20Hz mark for a - 3db drop. Since the hard surface isn't suitable enough for ported sub what is the problem with going for sb2000? It's tighter and will save port noise. It'll be a little low on sound but can easily be catered by increasing the gain. I have a klipsch reference s10 sw and it goes wild coz of the port noise. I read somewhere else that others have also faced similar issues with rooms my size.

I have the PC 2000 & after slightly more than a year's usage have never heard any port noise considering while being played at late night when everything is silent. I have never kept the volume at an extreme level but high enough at 50 to 60 % to vibrate the sofa & certain fittings in the room. Maybe if the volume is played at ear shattering levels you may hear port noise but that may the case in most of the subwoofers. The SVS sound path isolaters are good and I don't feel any vibrations on the concrete floor though considering it's a downfiring subwoofer. You can see these links & decide for yourself. Both PC & PB 2000 are essentially same except for the subwoofer shape, driver & port location. If your room is big and your preference is movies then a ported subwoofer is ideal. Generally a sealed sub won't be able to play louder as the frequency starts droping below 30 hz specially in the case of lfe as compared to a ported. Some ported subs have port tuning options which also be played in sealed mode. Hope your queries get resolved in the links below.

But if you like the Rythmik, then go for it since it is a reputed company which makes great subwoofers.

Last edited:
@Bhoot,

The performance of ported subwoofers by the respected brands are certainly not a hit or a miss. They are carefully well designed subwoofers after years of research with a purpose of functionality.
Sealed and ported both have their pros and cons. You can choose your pick as per your purpose music or movies, for small or big rooms.

I have used PB2000 in the past and I am not impressed with it for the size bass is not great. At present I have a Rythmik sealed sub and I like it much better than PB2000. It was not at the same room but Rythmik is more accurate and better for my taste, I like refined or tight bass.
I prefer sealed sub over ported.
Now dual is always better than single sub. You can get Rythmik now and add one later or use it with PB2000.
A big room like yours can have up to 4 subs for good bass.

I have the PC 2000 & after slightly more than a year's usage have never heard any port noise considering while being played at late night when everything is silent. I have never kept the volume at an extreme level but high enough at 50 to 60 % to vibrate the sofa & certain fittings in the room. Maybe if the volume is played at ear shattering levels you may hear port noise but that may the case in most of the subwoofers. The SVS sound path isolaters are good and I don't feel any vibrations on the concrete floor though considering it's a downfiring subwoofer. You can see these links & decide for yourself. Both PC & PB 2000 are essentially same except for the subwoofer shape, driver & port location. If your room is big and your preference is movies then a ported subwoofer is ideal. Generally a sealed sub won't be able to play louder as the frequency starts droping below 30 hz specially in the case of lfe as compared to a ported. Some ported subs have port tuning options which also be played in sealed mode. Hope your queries get resolved in the links below.

But if you like the Rythmik, then go for it since it is a reputed company which makes great subwoofers.
Even without isolation concrete floor doesn't vibrate.

Though sealed subs roll off under 30hz with room gain they play flat down to 20hz ( if powerful enough)
My custom built 18" sealed sub produces 105db at 10hz in my room of size 16x13 feet.

Edge of tomorrow opening scene cannot be played in regular ported HT subs as it's a 10hz frequency which is below the tuning frequency.

You need big and powerful sealed sub for clean reproduction of edge of tomorrow..
Or else ported subs like jtr

Though sealed subs roll off under 30hz with room gain they play flat down to 20hz ( if powerful enough)
My custom built 18" sealed sub produces 105db at 10hz in my room of size 16x13 feet.

Edge of tomorrow opening scene cannot be played in regular ported HT subs as it's a 10hz frequency which is below the tuning frequency.

Can you share some details of your custom made sub?
105dB and 10Hz looks very nice. Are you extremely happy with real time performance than with measurement?

In a down firing sub which I am using the floor will vibrate hence SVS has provided sound isolaters for PC & not PB 2000 which is front firing.
If you need a sub that has to go down to 10 hz clean you may have to spend a lot on a branded sub not to mention the monstrous size or you need to catch a DIY person who really knows his stuff & can provide you the sub at an affordable cost which may not be practical to most of the people with limited budget & space..
The max Frequency which the PC/PB 2000 can go down to is 16 to 17 hz & you may take the benefit of room gain to go slightly lower depending on the size of the room.

FM Bhoot's budget is restricted & was trying for the Rythmik 15 inch which was beyond his budget.

If I were in FM Argentum's place, I would ask my self if I am satisfied with the quality of the bass. If I not then I would look at other brands which cater to my tastes.
The other question would be what if I am happy with the sub but am I looking for more bass. In that case I would add a second one of the same model no. so there are no phase issues. In this case I would send a mail to SVS & clear my doubts once & for all before making any further purchase.

In a down firing sub which I am using the floor will vibrate hence SVS has provided sound isolaters for PC & not PB 2000 which is front firing.
If you need a sub that has to go down to 10 hz clean you may have to spend a lot on a branded sub not to mention the monstrous size or you need to catch a DIY person who really knows his stuff & can provide you the sub at an affordable cost which may not be practical to most of the people with limited budget & space..
The max Frequency which the PC/PB 2000 can go down to is 16 to 17 hz & you may take the benefit of room gain to go slightly lower depending on the size of the room.

FM Bhoot's budget is restricted & was trying for the Rythmik 15 inch which was beyond his budget.

If I were in FM Argentum's place, I would ask my self if I am satisfied with the quality of the bass. If I not then I would look at other brands which cater to my tastes.
The other question would be what if I am happy with the sub but am I looking for more bass. In that case I would add a second one of the same model no. so there are no phase issues. In this case I would send a mail to SVS & clear my doubts once & for all before making any further purchase.
Adding second sub will not increase the SPL unless both subs are placed together ( think side by side or stacked vertically)

Bass is omnidirectional..
Driver orientation doesn't matter..
Isolation for PC is needed to prevent the driver from touching the surface underneath it.

Adding second sub will not increase the SPL unless both subs are placed together ( think side by side or stacked vertically)

Isolation for PC is needed to prevent the driver from touching the surface underneath it.
Don't agree to your first statement. Second sub increases spl. Irrespective of location and if phase set correctly, there can be a gain from 3-5 db.

Hi Prateek,

Agree with you that bass is omnidirectional but in a room there would be bass nulls where duals would help to smoothen out. I do have nulls in my room too at certain locations luckily no one sits there.
The main purpose of the SVS sound path isolaters are attached in the file

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200111-131018.png
    Screenshot_20200111-131018.png
    449.7 KB · Views: 20
Don't agree to your first statement. Second sub increases spl. Irrespective of location and if phase set correctly, there can be a gain from 3-5 db.

Regarding SPL with 2 subs would agree with Siju.

Hi Prateek,

Agree with you that bass is omnidirectional but in a room there would be bass nulls where duals would help to smoothen out. I do have nulls in my room too at certain locations luckily no one sits there.
The main purpose of the SVS sound path isolaters are attached in the file
In USA floor, walls etc are made of wood and in India with concrete.

I suppose 2 subs would be better than 1

I use 1 large sub - but my reasons and direction is different

I use SVS soundpath isolation too and my home flooring is just like any other flat - marbonite types..

It works for me i think

Many moons ago - i had bought the SVS soundpath on an impulse and continued to use it

I would suggest try a yoga mat and see how it goes for you - for the isolation part

You also get hard foam black color that is very light but ultra small pores. They come typically in delicate but heavy equipment’s like servers . That can be a cheap option

Dual subs provides smoother response ,but sometimes dual is not always best in all cases.I have heard single subs placed at right location and proper calibration sounds fantastic too.( But that sub is a costly sub which will go down below 12 hz).
So higher quality subs will be good.
Here definitely the comparison of Rythmik 15" and SVS 12" is not apple to apple comparison. The bass quality will be much Better in Rhythmik I guess.
Since ur room is bigger IMO if budget permits go for Rhythmik 15" now may be u can add one more in future. Or else add one more SVS 12" and stay happy.

Dual subs provides smoother response ,but sometimes dual is not always best in all cases.I have heard single subs placed at right location and proper calibration sounds fantastic too.( But that sub is a costly sub which will go down below 12 hz).
So higher quality subs will be good.
Here definitely the comparison of Rythmik 15" and SVS 12" is not apple to apple comparison. The bass quality will be much Better in Rhythmik I guess.
Since ur room is bigger IMO if budget permits go for Rhythmik 15" now may be u can add one more in future. Or else add one more SVS 12" and stay happy.
This is exactly what I feel, except the last line coz his placement options aren't flexible.

Dual is the way to go definitely, but buy 1 best sub that you can afford now and add another same model sub in the future when you have the cash. This will be the best option.
And Rythmik Fv15Hp is in the league of SVS PB4000. so definitely go for the Rythmik Fv15hp now and add another Fv15Hp in the future.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back