100% Noob needs 200% help

Update: 100% Noob needs 200% help

Dear All,

I visited Lakozy (LN 2) today. Ashish auditioned the Violet system and I have to say I was shocked and then suprised. The sound quality is GREAT. I had almost pulled out my checkbook when we went ahead and decided to audition a traditional (pun intended) HTS.

I heard the Def Tech Pro Cinema 800 running off a NAD (don't remember which model) and was blown away. I got Ashish to play Bryan Adams, Could #9 and the Iron Man scene where Robert Downey Jr.takes out an arms depot in Afghanistan followed by the Raptor chase sequence. Awesome!!

Here's the package that Ashish suggested and I would have finalized had I not heard the Violet. Yes, the sound is so much better from the former but the convinience of the latter makes me reconsider.

Denon 1611
Def Tech Pro Cinema 800 (5.1)
Dune HD Max

I have to give it to Ashish, he was VERY patient putting up with my indecisiveness. I loved his audition room!!!

Verdict: I've never been so confused in my life.

Thanks,
~s~

Re: Update: 100% Noob needs 200% help

What are the costs of these two setups?

Hi TaureanBull,

1. The Violet System has an MRP of 65K (Almost 100K with the Dune HD Max)
2. The other setup would work out to be 130K incl the DHD Max

BTW, are you still in Cairo. I was based out of Zamalek for almost a year and had to come back in Feb. Hope to be back in Cairo soon.

Thanks,
~s~

Hi TaureanBull,

1. The Violet System has an MRP of 65K (Almost 100K with the Dune HD Max)
2. The other setup would work out to be 130K incl the DHD Max

BTW, are you still in Cairo. I was based out of Zamalek for almost a year and had to come back in Feb. Hope to be back in Cairo soon.

Thanks,
~s~

Thats a good coincidence to find you here. I am in Nasr City. Things are reasonably well out here to come back. Happy hunting till then! You wont get anything out here. :sad:

Hi TaureanBull,

I usually fly in and out via Dubai. Never stopped to check if they had good AV stuff at the DXB Duty Free. Did you?

Thx,
~s~

No I dont. I dont have any idea either. I am not sure what kind of audiophile equipment I can expect there.

Dear All,

I visited Lakozy (LN 2) today. Ashish auditioned the Violet system and I have to say I was shocked and then suprised. The sound quality is GREAT. I had almost pulled out my checkbook when we went ahead and decided to audition a traditional (pun intended) HTS.

I heard the Def Tech Pro Cinema 800 running off a NAD (don't remember which model) and was blown away. I got Ashish to play Bryan Adams, Could #9 and the Iron Man scene where Robert Downey Jr.takes out an arms depot in Afghanistan followed by the Raptor chase sequence. Awesome!!

Here's the package that Ashish suggested and I would have finalized had I not heard the Violet. Yes, the sound is so much better from the former but the convinience of the latter makes me reconsider.

Denon 1611
Def Tech Pro Cinema 800 (5.1)
Dune HD Max

I have to give it to Ashish, he was VERY patient putting up with my indecisiveness. I loved his audition room!!!

Verdict: I've never been so confused in my life.

Thanks,
~s~

Hi All,

Can someone advice on my AVR choice? Denon 1611. Can it drive the Def Tech 800 Pro Cinema? Am I future proofed?

Thx,
~s~

Hi All,

Can someone advice on my AVR choice? Denon 1611. Can it drive the Def Tech 800 Pro Cinema? Am I future proofed?

Thx,
~s~

Try some avr with preouts like yamaha 667 ... Just in case you want add an amp later to drive some floorstanding speakers as stereo setup.

Try some avr with preouts like yamaha 667 ... Just in case you want add an amp later to drive some floorstanding speakers as stereo setup.

IMO the Audyssey MultiEQ on Denon is a feature that is for a lot of us more useful. With Audyssey MultiEQ the surround sound listening experience gets greatly enhanced when the system is setup in a typical room w/o acoustic treatment. Pre outs are also a very useful feature, but I wonder how many of us would add a separete amp in the future. With the way AVRs are evolving these days, the pre-processor portion of the AVR would beg for an upgrade for most users than the integrated amp that comes with the AVR.
-- no1lives4ever

Hey sherry, no sweat, man you can bug me any which way u can.
I suggest you get in touch with hfv member parora nee Pawan Arora. He just auditioned the whole lithos range at a farmouse in the NCR recently. I dont really know much about avrs and their impedance ratings, I bought my marantz sr3053 w/o realizing that the lithos q10 is a 4ohm pair while the avr back panel clearly warns against spkrs with impedance less than 6 ohms. Thats also part of the reason why I may put it up for sale soon. Need some money to buy some vintage hi fi stuff.
Must get in touch with Pawan in noida and must pay a visit to Mr Nakra of Enbee electronics in noida.
Regards

Update: The Dune HD Max was delivered today. Looks fully loaded from the demo. Don't want to use it with my current equipment. I repacked it and sits proudly with the Tata Sky HD+.

Thx
~s~

Update: The Dune HD Max was delivered today. Looks fully loaded from the demo. Don't want to use it with my current equipment. I repacked it and sits proudly with the Tata Sky HD+.

Thx
~s~

Hi Sherry,
What is Dune HD Max? Is it a media player or somethig else? Sorry for my ignorance.

Which speakers could you hear so far? How much separation distance would you be able to provide between the speakers? I think you will do better if you go for a near field monitor kind of speakers.

Please think more than once before taking final call and be sure that it would fit itself well in your room. Have patience.

My quest for AVR+Front speaker is going to reach final level soon with Marantz SR 6004 + Quad 11L classic.

I could manage a home demo for last two days before taking final decision and although the speaker is just box opened, the sound is not bad. After about 100 hrs of burn in and putting it on stand, it will definitely improve and become smoother. Quad 11L classic is a good speaker with slightly modified tweeter. The tweeter has been provided with a very short horn and the company claim that it increases its performance. But my ear, which used to listen the berrylyum tweeter of BE-718 is not getting satisfaction with Quad 11L's tweeter. But price point wise they are no match. Quad 11L is less that 30% of BE-718's price.

Hi Sherry,
What is Dune HD Max? Is it a media player or somethig else? Sorry for my ignorance.

Which speakers could you hear so far? How much separation distance would you be able to provide between the speakers? I think you will do better if you go for a near field monitor kind of speakers...

Hi Amit,

I typed a bunch of text and it never appeared. Anyways here it is again. The Dune HD Max is a media center with some really cool features. One of which is a built in bit torrent client. You can check out the feature on the Dune web site.

Now for the speakers. I auditioned a few and loved the DefTech ProCine 800. These small speakers pack quite a punch if you turn up the volume. For someone who prefers to watch movies and listen to music on a moderate volume, the speakers were still crystal clear and worked really well for the kind of music I listen to.
Ashish from Lakozy - Delhi surveyed the site and suggested that the speakers would work there.

Viewing distance: 7'-8'
Front Speakers Separation: 4'-5'
Rear Speakers Height: 6'.5"
Rear Speakers Separation: 7'-8'

I checked the Dobly website and I seem to be compliant. Please let me know if anyone thinks otherwise.

Thx,
~s~

Last edited:
Update: 100% Noob needs 200% help

Dear All,

After watching all top plasma TV brands, I settled upon the Panasonic P50V20D. It arrived today and like all other components, has been stored away. I demoed this multiple times and found the picture quality to be stunning.

Thx,
~s~

Welcome to Plasma club

Did you auditioned Minx systems at fx entertainment CR park. they are good too.

Hi Jatin,

I did drive down to CR Park and got lost, drove around in circles, called the store guy who was not at all helpful and decided to drop it :(

I wanted to demo the Minx. Probably this weekend.

Thx,
~s~

Hi Jatin,

I went for the "HD Max" model. I got it for 33.5K w/o HD.

Thx,
~s~

Would'nt Oppo BDP-93 would have been better option . Its supposed to be the Best Blu Ray ever Sub 500 $ category and Plays MKV streaming. Only thing less than Dune would have been Torrent download functionality, Experience would have been much better.

Yes FX guys are not help Full at all. But system is good.

Back