100% Noob needs 200% help

Would'nt Oppo BDP-93 would have been better option . Its supposed to be the Best Blu Ray ever Sub 500 $ category and Plays MKV streaming. Only thing less than Dune would have been Torrent download functionality, Experience would have been much better.

Yes FX guys are not help Full at all. But system is good.

Hi Jatin,

I download tons of stuff via torrent. That feature was the clincher. I also liked the hot-swapable HD feature.

Thx,
~s~

Re: Update: 100% Noob needs 200% help

Dear All,

After watching all top plasma TV brands, I settled upon the Panasonic P50V20D. It arrived today and like all other components, has been stored away. I demoed this multiple times and found the picture quality to be stunning.

Thx,
~s~

Panasonic V20D plasma is really an eye candy, that too you have gone for 50 incher. Enjoy friend.

Hi Jatin,

I download tons of stuff via torrent. That feature was the clincher. I also liked the hot-swapable HD feature.

Thx,
~s~

All I am saying if we have a pc then we can download stuff on that too.
Compared to PQ of Dune to Oppo-BDP-93 I think Oppo would win Right out but alas purchase has been already made and now Dune is the best :clapping:

I have a egreat r1b and it can be used for torrents downloading, let me try and see if its better than PC.

All I am saying if we have a pc then we can download stuff on that too.
Compared to PQ of Dune to Oppo-BDP-93 I think Oppo would win Right out but alas purchase has been already made and now Dune is the best :clapping:

I have a egreat r1b and it can be used for torrents downloading, let me try and see if its better than PC.

Panasonic V20D plasma with Oppo BDP could have been a very good choice for Sherry. I am enjoying the same, although 42V20D + Oppo BD83. Fantastic picture. I have more BR discs than very few downloads. Have a plan to connect my desktop PC with V20D for playing the downloaded stuff. But the main enjoyment will be playing BR disk in Oppo BD83.

All,

I have a related question. With me adding these many components, which universal remote do you suggest I buy? My heart is stuck at Logitech Harmony 1100 but I know it's an overkill.

Thx,
~s~

All,

I have a related question. With me adding these many components, which universal remote do you suggest I buy? My heart is stuck at Logitech Harmony 1100 but I know it's an overkill.

Thx,
~s~

I use a Harmony 525, and it does the job quite nicely. It is not the best to use one, but programmed properly, it does most of the things that the higher end harmony remotes do.

After using this remote for almost a year now, here are some suggestions:

1. Unless you have a very complicated setup, you do not need more than 4-6 activities programmed.
2. You will need the remote you get to support all the equipment in your rig. I would also suggest getting a remote which will support 2-3 more devices. You never know when you will add a new device to your rig.
3. If you are getting a remote with a colour screen, then get one which has a rechargeable batteries. I use rechargeable cells with the 525 and they do not last very long. Unlike regular remotes, the harmony ones eats batteries :(
4. I would look at a model which has backlit keys.
5. Check out the key placement of the various models you shortlist. It is always helpful to have a model which you can use w/o looking at the remote to find out which key is placed where. You may also not want to use the remote's backlight when watching movies in a darkened room. It can be quite distracting for others.
6. My 525 has a feature where it glows when the remote is picked up. Unfortunately this never works. The remote only lights up when it is kept on the bed and it is woken up by some external vibration. I have yet to have the remote light up when i have picked it up. So if you can, test out this feature of the model you get.
7. Sometimes the logitech database does not work very well, so as a worse case situation be prepared to program every key from your original remote. This can take up some time.
8. You will need to change the programming settings on the remote based on your useage. Not all keys in the original remote will have a corresponding key on the remote. You will end up using the soft keys for these missing commands. I have mostly remapped the hard keys on my harmony 525 with the various commands I use regularly. But this results in a remote that most others can not use. So for at least one device, I ended up setting it as 2 devices on the harmony software to get around this issue.
9. Get a remote with a large number of soft keys. My 525 has 4 and it can get irritating to page between the various screens to get to a command.
10. While harmony remotes will set up the activities for you, mostly you will need to tweak the various settings based on how you use your devices in a given activity.

Overall, no matter what harmony model you get, be prepared to spend some time with the remote to use it to its fullest capabilities. This may take up some time over a few days.

-- no1lives4ever

Last edited:
I have Logi 525 and am quite happy with it..

My suggestion don't go for top end, stay on a piece that at least looks like remote.

Harmony one is a good alternative.

IN the end its your choice but logi 1100 looks like one hell of an equipment.

I have Logi 525 and am quite happy with it..

My suggestion don't go for top end, stay on a piece that at least looks like remote.

Harmony one is a good alternative.

IN the end its your choice but logi 1100 looks like one hell of an equipment.

Thanks Jatin. I would try resisting the urge to order the 1100. Amazon.com offers it for 17K (delivery + customs charges included).

Thx,
~s~

You are not getting the point.

Logitech India is selling Harmony One remote for Rs 19495/- which is far inferior than 1100.

You can get a far superior item sitting at your home for Rs 2000/- less. What is Logitech India thinking?

17 K for 1100 is unbelivable, my 525 was 4K when I bought.

By all means go for 1100 for such a price.

Where are you sourcing from ?

Logitech India is selling Harmony One remote for Rs 19495/- which is far inferior than 1100.

You can get a far superior item sitting at your home for Rs 2000/- less. What is Logitech India thinking?

Hi TaureanBull,

That beats me. Though I have read in this forum about people buying stuff cleaper from Amazon, 20north, Ebay GEB etc.

Thx,
~s~

Does amazon ships with custom charges, I doubt that.
Shop your world would be right amounting in my opinion

17300 + 4844 = 22144

http://amazonin.tarazz.com/gp/product/B001M5U5AC/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

How are you using Amazon, directly or via some intermittent shipper.

Hi Jatin,

I just went ahead and placed an order. The final amt (shipping + 85 USD customs) is working out to be 17.1K INR

Let's see what happens. Expected delivery date is Apr 6.

Thx,
~s~

Does amazon ships with custom charges, I doubt that.
Shop your world would be right amounting in my opinion

17300 + 4844 = 22144

http://amazonin.tarazz.com/gp/product/B001M5U5AC/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

How are you using Amazon, directly or via some intermittent shipper.

Hi Jatin,

I am using Amazon directly. Here's the page from where I ordered:

Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal Remote with Color Touch Screen: Electronics

As I mentioned in my last post. The final amount I was charged is 384.88 USD. I hope I won't be asked to pay any additional amount on delivery.

Thx,
~s~

Hi TaureanBull,

I dug around some more. The Harmony One can be bought online (all incl) for 10134 INR (almost 10K lower than Indian MRP). Here's the link.

Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote with Color Touchscreen < Electronics : Electronics - Shop in the US from India @ 20North

Some forum members have used this service with varied levels of satisfaction. Worth a try IMHO.

Thx,
~s~

Back