15m HDMI cable for Projector

akd

I am in the process of buying a 15m (50ft) HDMI cable for OPTOMA HD 20. As its said and discussed several times that beyond 10m one needs to be careful about picking up a HDMI cable.

1. I bought a cheapo cable from ebay India, it didn't work.
2. QED 15m costs 17K which is beyond my reach.
3. Monoprice has them
when I contacted them they advised against the standard CL2 cable

They suggested me to go for the redMere cable which has repeater (signal booster) in-built, but thats out of stock.

4. In India MX 50ft cable available @ 5K and liberty @ 6K

5. One possibility is buy two 2x10m or 3x5m ordinary HDMI cable and join them by HDMI repeater (not extender) which will prevent any signal loss. But again probably repeaters aren't available in India.

I am sick of importing from US as don't believe any shipper at all. I may have to wait for 3/4 weeks. I read in the forum MX is good but will be helpful if someone who is actually using any affordable branded 50ft cable for 1080p projector writes his experience and the link.

Pondering over what to do. Please share your views and experience.

Arnab

I would recommend you to get a high quality cable if you want 15M length. If you get the cheap ones, they wont perform fine with 1080p and 3D.

I am planning to get Profi Gold 15m cable. And that will cost around 15K :(.

I think there is a wireless hdmi solution from asus at much lesser price than the hdmi cable. This has been discussed somewhere in the forum.

I would recommend you to get a high quality cable if you want 15M length. If you get the cheap ones, they wont perform fine with 1080p and 3D.

I am planning to get Profi Gold 15m cable. And that will cost around 15K :(.

@john_k_antony: Don't you think 15K is too high considering the source (BDP) is way below 10K. I am exploring if its possible to have one in the range 3K-6K. Even none of the monoprice cables are even half of that price.

@baijuxavior: wireless at that bandwidth?? even if its possible the cost can't be less than 10-15K for quality transmission. Moreover, thats hardly tested, I haven't read anywhere about it, let me check

Well, I am selecting a high end one because I want 3D and 1080p. Well my BDP is more expensive than the cable :D. I am having Oppo-93.

Optoma HD20 is not a 3D projector so you don't need HDMI 1.4v cable. If you do not intend to upgrade to 3D projector, v1.3b will do.

I also have a projector, albiet a 720p one. I used two 10m cables and joined them via HDMI female-female connector. They are not those expensive types - if I remember correctly each was Rs. 2200 or so (from ebay.in in 2009). The connector was Rs. 299. So the total was Rs. 4699. I went with this combo because at that time I did not find a seller with long cable. Now there are better/cheaper options available:

HDMI CABLE 1.4V 20M 20 METER HIGH DEFINITION GOLD PLATED CABLE 20 METER 1.4 V | eBay
Rs. 2900+shipping

This has worked well for me. There is no signal loss. In digital cables, either there is complete loss or zero loss. So the cable will work or won't work.

BTW, which cable did you buy from ebay?

720p and 1080p are slightly different as you will many cable manufacturers who specify 720p/1080i clearly. Even monoprice confirmed this fact. I tried this one

HDMI - HDMI Male 1080P Cable LCD Plasma TV Laptop 15 M | eBay

which was el cheapo. Now I have seen with my eyes that for HDMI cables more than 10m it does matter. How do I know the cable that you have referred to will work, most likely these cables come in a plastic w/o name,specs.

I have no issue with buying a cable which works (of course lower the price better it is for any one in India) but my first experience has taught me not to buy anything like these. These sellers have no idea what 1080p/1080i means, they just fill up their listing with words. What was more shocking was when last time I bought one of these cheap cables and asked the seller to test it he said he doesn't have any personal device to test 1080p signal!!!!

BTW I am not into 3D, and completely into 2D as my interest is in DANCES WITH WOLVES or LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and not 300 or AVENGERS

So the issue remains

There is no guarantee that the cable I mentioned will work but it does mention the HDMI version. The link you provided does not mention HDMI version, etc.

I use a 10 metre hdmi cable I bought from ebay for Rs 1500 (It says that it is 1.4) with Optoma HD 66x (720p) Projector. It seems to work fine.

Mx also has a wireless solution where 2 "router" kind of stuff are used. One at a source level and other at the receiver level to transmit signal.

10 m HDMI cables are available at a cost as low as INR 1000/- in Chennai. have tested 10 m + 5 m and they seem to work fine. why not try it!!!!

Get HDMI over Ethernet kit and be assured of future capabilities. Mono price has those.

Yesterday I spoke to MDR electronics. The fellow seemed to perfectly sensible to me. He said Mx no. 3376d for 15m and Mx n. 3376c for 10m are best they can offer.

He said almost projectors can have problems with HDMI run more than 15m, so he can't assure 15m will work as it should, but he assured about 10m. Moreover, if I buy 15m and doesn't work they won't accept it. thats the difficulty

I don't want to hit and try as these trials are wallet draining process.

so 15m HDMI cable hunt continues.......

doubtful if you will get any better solution than this.
For only $15.37 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI? Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable - Extend Upto 98ft | HDMI Extender

HDMI over ethernet is the only format that has been able to keep the same cabling while HDMI went from 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b, 1.4. People who invested in it didn't had to change the cables and it worked over long distance without problem.

Probably the cheapest & almost guaranteed to work solution:clapping: ...

PS Manoj can we combine 2 sets of theses to extend the singnal to 190 ft??? Just wondering coz I might have a scenario in which I might need more than 100 ft(have to still check the distance)...

EDIT
Err never mind I found the 198ft one on Monoprice... Costs about $43 http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=6532&seq=1&format=2 .. Not bad...

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back