16 RPM and other Unusual speed and Types of Gramophone Records

ANILKUMAR

Friends,
Let's discuss regarding records in your possession with unusual playing speed and unusual size or anything that is unusual related to records.
I will post information on few such records in my possession.
Regards,
Anil.

If you are interested please go through the following information
Records with-"Unusual Speeds:"
8 RPM and 8 RPM. 7-inch- This recording format was developed sponsored by the American Foundation for the Blind. One record holds 4 hours of speech
16(2/3) RPM This speed was used almost exclusively for spoken word content, in particular for the "talking books" used by the visually impaired
Prior to 1930 (particularly before 1925), a number of proprietary formats existed, with recordings made at speeds anywhere from 60 to 130 RPM (although most were between 72 and 82 rpm)
Even 78 RPM was not initially a worldwide standard, as American records were often recorded at 78.26 rpm and European records were often recorded at 77.92 rpm
Edison Disc Records were different: always running at 80 rpm and being vertically cut, inch thick

Records of Unusual size

European shellac records roughly 5", 8",6", 9", 11", 13" ,, 10", 11", 12", 14", and 20"
16" and 20" discs Broadcasting studios made use of 16" and 20" 78rpm acetate "transcriptions"
8" EPs. Mostly seen as Japanese pressed records in the 1980s and 1990s, and after 1992 in the US
7" 78-rpm children's records The 78 rpm records of the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s were breakable shellac
6", 7", 8", and 9" flexi discs were popular in Japan where they were known as sound-sheets and were often in traditional round format
1" records

Below one is a rare 16 RPM record in my possession with 1 hour of stereo content.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have one sound sheet, made of vinyl , recorded on only one side, will post the picture shortly.

N.Murali

Last edited:
I have 2 braille 16 rpm records (christian audio book) and a unique christmas carol record (made of green see-through plastic) which came with a christmas card to our family from a friend in the United States, back in the mid-1970s. Shall post pics.

Here is a link to interesting work being carried on at the undeground vaults of the Library of Congress (USA) in Culpeper, Virginia. It seems a Frenchman beat Edison when it came to recording sound by almost a couple of decades. Throughout this presentation are loudspeaker icons which are clickable. You can hear the worlds first recordings.

http://irene.lbl.gov/SI-Dec-2011-public.pdf

I have some 16 2/3 rpm records that are spoken word. They are childrens' fare, like Jungle Book, Black Beauty, and Alice in Wonderland. The media is indeed long playing, up to four hours. Even enough to hold a single telephone message from my mother-in-law!

...what's a quadraphonic record?...

Promoted in the 1970's it was a consumer discrete four channel vinyl recording. It played on a conventional turntable but required a special cartridge with a Shibata nude stylus.

The record was cut on a lathe modified to cut with a 31.5Khz sub-carrier. When demodulated by a special purpose decoder four discrete channels were sent to four amplifiers. Speakers were placed in the four corners of the room, and the sound stage was all around you.

I played a quadraphonic recording I made of a rainstorm in Kasmir and my cat jumped off the sofa and took refuge under the coffee table.

There were actually several quad formats, but CBS records SQ was the most popular.

here are some pics...as promised

Picture-1 : A rare 33 1/3 rpm christmas carol mini record (received in a christmas greeting from the United States in the early 1970s)

Picture-2, (to the right of Picture-1) : The 16rpm Christian Talking Magazine, followed by 2 pictures of the labels (the braille impressions can be seen). Notice the side number mentioned on the lables, both read as "2". Wonder if that was a mistake or intentional

Picture-5, (bottom right): Another 16rpm Christian Talking Magazine, the pictures of the labels are in the next post.

Sometime back, I played one of these on my dad's Garrard SP25 MK1 and it seemed to play for ages, nearly an hour of content on each side (if I recall correctly)

Edit: The carol on that green mini plastic record is "Jingle Bells"...you can see that its a bit warped, had it that way all a long (after all, it was received in a Christmas greeting by mail)

Last edited:
Promoted in the 1970's it was a consumer discrete four channel vinyl recording. It played on a conventional turntable but required a special cartridge with a Shibata nude stylus.

The record was cut on a lathe modified to cut with a 31.5Khz sub-carrier. When demodulated by a special purpose decoder four discrete channels were sent to four amplifiers. Speakers were placed in the four corners of the room, and the sound stage was all around you.

I played a quadraphonic recording I made of a rainstorm in Kasmir and my cat jumped off the sofa and took refuge under the coffee table.

There were actually several quad formats, but CBS records SQ was the most popular.

I have some western classical music and instrumental recordings on DECCA Phase-4 Stereo (Made in England). Heard about this recording technique?

Hi,

Quadraphonic recording and playback, although adopted by several companies was never widely accepted and failed to replace stereophonic sound, which has retained its popularity despite the advent of 5.1 and 7.1. It is interesting to know that some fellow members had experimented with it.

Regards.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back