2.1 Channel Surround: Easy To Use And Good To Hear

Do you like the concept? Would you be interested in a demo?

• Concept: Yes, Demo: Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Concept: Yes, Demo: No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Concept: No, Demo: Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Concept: No, Demo: No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ravindra Desai

Hello all,

I am attaching a technical paper that I had presented at Electronica 2017 in Munich, Germany.
It is in simple English!

It argues why there is a need for a new approach to sound re-production.
The concept is applicable to stereo and surround but surround is highlighted for the purpose of the paper.
What ever is proposed is tried and tested in every possible environment from Cinema theater of 650 seats to a living room of 12ft x 10ft size for quite some years and is a mature technology.

Note that it is not meant as a replacement for existing technologies nor is it claiming to be the most superior. It just presents an option that is not there in the market.

I hope that you enjoy the read. Do let me know if you like it and your other thoughts below.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• 2.1Channel Surround Sound.pdf
    63 KB · Views: 49
I am interested in the concept & Demo.. Am not sure if i would buy it.. Hope you would be organizing the demo city/town wise..

Note that it is not meant as a replacement for existing technologies nor is it claiming to be the most superior. It just presents an option that is not there in the market.

Please forgive me for asking this question..No disrespect intended to any of your products / effort.. wanted some clarity, hence asking you here (am not technically acquainted)..

I have used chinese amplifier (PWM Amplifier / DAC Amplifier) SMSL Q5 Pro - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SMS...19cb-4207-901f-681dc507474c&priceBeautifyAB=0

I got this thru my friend from UK for 8K INR.. Used it for a good 1 years time.. This is very similar to your offering, but with all the Digital inputs to receive only 2 channel (missing multichannel decoders).. Some models have bass management built in.. But not user adjustable (Pre-fixed crossover)

I have seen your product pictures (2.1 processor, speakers+sub) that you had shared in the other thread..But, if you would like to explain the difference between the PWM amplifier Vs your product & who the target audience is..

I am interested in the concept & Demo.. Am not sure if i would buy it.. Hope you would be organizing the demo city/town wise..

Thank you! I am inching towards a city wise demo and will update you with my progress.
You could suggest me a floor space in your/nearby City/ Town where I could conduct the demo. It should preferably be where we could get good number of audio buffs to come over.
It could be your place, your friends place, a demo/ showroom/ shop of a vendor you know and who is willing to host my show.

I could do it in a hotel room but then you will be stuck with listening to one system only and with nothing to compare it with.

Please forgive me for asking this question..No disrespect intended to any of your products / effort.. wanted some clarity, hence asking you here (am not technically acquainted)..

I have used chinese amplifier (PWM Amplifier / DAC Amplifier) SMSL Q5 Pro - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SMS...19cb-4207-901f-681dc507474c&priceBeautifyAB=0

I got this thru my friend from UK for 8K INR.. Used it for a good 1 years time.. This is very similar to your offering, but with all the Digital inputs to receive only 2 channel (missing multichannel decoders).. Some models have bass management built in.. But not user adjustable (Pre-fixed crossover)

I have seen your product pictures (2.1 processor, speakers+sub) that you had shared in the other thread..But, if you would like to explain the difference between the PWM amplifier Vs your product & who the target audience is..

I will jump to the differentiating features and call the product in the link as Ali product, ok?

1. Ali Product is a 2.0 channel amplifier that delivers rated power into rated load. It does not sense loudspeaker impedance to dynamically make changes to the amplifier gain.

This feature in my amplifier allows me to make a tall claim: In any set-up, keeping the speakers the same, replace all the electronics with mine, the speakers will sound noticeably better without doing any EQ. No further EQ is needed that will make it sound any better!

2. Ali Product has a preset EQ (Jazz, Country, Rock). My product has a DSP that continuously monitors the input signal strength (amplitude), compares it with a preset reference and corrects the error in real time. The BIG difference here is EQ of any form is frequency based where as correction I am making is amplitude based.
When you EQ, you are disturbing the music directors work. With amplitude based changes, I ensure that every frequency is treated with the same weight in terms of output power, In other words amplitude based changes are not partial to a particular frequency or a band of frequencies but works on loudness of a passage of sound that could belon to any frequency.

This feature associtated with my DSP allows me to make another tall claim: Set the volume to the desired vocal level and leave the rest to the system. You will hear good strong vocals, the tiniest of detail and the loudest of action scenes comfortably without having to make volume changes.

You will argue that this feature is available in the market and I will say yes, it is. But the feature works only at and above a particular volume NOT below a certain volume. My system maintains the magic at ALL volume levels and that is a game changer. This is something that you can verify right away with the system you have.

The net effect of my system from technical standpoint is that there is monitoring of loudspeaker impedance on the output side (amplifier does this) and there is monitoring of input signal also(DSP is acting as a watch dog).
Practically the effect is that with low cost speakers my system is able to deliver AMAZING sound.

I have to get into a meeting. But do login your thoughts in the mean time.
I will continue with the last parts of your question after I return.

Regards,

Ravindra.

..But, if you would like to explain the difference between the PWM amplifier Vs your product & who the target audience is..

Product differentiator.....cont'd from post # 3:

3. With my product, quality is the same irrespective of volume and amplifier wattage. With my DSP, any speaker system that can handle My 3 x 80W amp will sound the same on my 3 x 40W and 3 x 20W amplifiers. So only power handling changes with cost making it fair for the customer.

For your last but second question:
PWM amplifier or Class-D amplifier as it is also called is a switching amplifier that is very efficient. The high efficiency results in small heat-sink or no heatsink at all. This saves space and money in high wattage amplifiers > say 500Wrms.
Class-D amplifier makes no claim, at all, of sounding sonically better than Class-A or Class-AB. In fact, Stereophiles stay away from Class-D or PWM amplifiers.

My amplifier is a semiconductor amplifier with Tube/ Valve amplifier characteristics. So it is very different that anything else on the market. One famous person who has product designed on a similar concept is Nelson Pass.

For your last question:
The target audience for this product is everyone from Stereo Audiophile class with good speakers to Living room TV theater class to a Dedicated room projector/ TV theater class.

So is it any different than say a 'Normalizer' or compression of the dynamic range?

Unlike my earlier posts, here we are dealing with a complete product = DSP + Amplifier. Mind you, I use very ordinary speakers that are nothing special. It is my electronics that makes them special. So you can always use your speakers or any ones from the market and get still better results.

From a product (Amp + DSP) standpoint, it is much more than a Normailzer or a Dynamic Range Compressor. Among other things, on the input (source signal) side, it is a Dynamic Range Compressor, a Dynamic Range Expandor and a Dynamic Volume Controller and on the output (amplifier) side it is a Dynamic Impedance Equalizer. Unlike products in the market, it all works at any volume setting!!

So the combination of processing both on the input and output side creates the magic that matches with any source, with any signal strength and with any speaker from full range to multi-way eliminating the need for any settings/ calibration, except volume, at the user end.

Regards,

Ravindra.

@Ravindra Desai Appreciate your detailed responses.. Thank you very much..

You could suggest me a floor space in your/nearby City/ Town where I could conduct the demo. It should preferably be where we could get good number of audio buffs to come over.

I would suggest opening a thread in the forum, with suitable title suffixed with "each city/town" - interest check !!!.. This should give you the responses and then decide on a location..

It could be your place, your friends place, a demo/ showroom/ shop of a vendor you know and who is willing to host my show.

I am happy to welcome you to my place, but i stay in rural area, 50 Kms away from the city.. Am fine as long as the forum members are fine.. If not will have to look for alternate locations..

@Ravindra Desai , just recollected that there will be an AV Expo in Chennai, Chennai trade center between 11 - 13th May 2018 - http://www.chennaitradecentre.org/.. You may want to consider this location to showcase your products as this event will pull lot of crowd..

@Ravindra Desai , just recollected that there will be an AV Expo in Chennai, Chennai trade center between 11 - 13th May 2018 - http://www.chennaitradecentre.org/.. You may want to consider this location to showcase your products as this event will pull lot of crowd..

Thanks a lot! I will try to be there, hopefully as an exhibitor.
I was wondering if this AV Expo is more for 'outdoor' and Cinema systems than 'indoor' audio.

Would you like to give an idea about the cost of the amplifier considering average scale of production.

Let's just say that the sound pressure level that you can crank out of my system is 4X that of branded systems of comparable wattage and the quality is what you can get from systems 10X the cost of my system. :)

I am open to the X factor change in either way through third party reviews, which is the intention of this thread.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Thanks a lot! I will try to be there, hopefully as an exhibitor.
I was wondering if this AV Expo is more for 'outdoor' and Cinema systems than 'indoor' audio.

The AV Expo is sponsored mostly by the distributor/ dealers in the city.. last time i was there, don't recollect if there was much "outdoor systems", but it was pretty much Home audio..

Here is the thread on last AV Expo 2016, Chennai, same venue, if you want to take a peek on what happened - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/av-expo-2016-chennai-sep-9th-11th-chennai-trade-center.64153/

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back