2.1 System /Soundbar For LCD

k2max6

Hey
I have a 40" LCD with a blu ray player and an HD STB in my bedroom.
I was thinking of getting some budget sound for them.

Earlier I was considering the Vizio VSB200 available for 99$ or VHT210 for 199$ .But going by the reviews here i could make out that it is better to go in for a decent 2.1 rather than a low end soundbar. Am I Right?
How do these soundbars fair against the following 2.1 -

If not the sound bar then the following 2.1 systems i am considering (going by the reviews,haven't auditioned a single one):
Edifier S330d/C3
Logitech Z623
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
(Where to get them,or is it ok get them through ebay geb?)
Altec Lansing 6021

My Usage : 80% Movies,20% Music
Which of them should i buy or any other suggestions !

I own a Klipsch Promedia 2.1, the wireless one and I love it. I earlier had Klipsch GMX Promedia 2.1 and I still have them at my sister's place. I just loved them so much that I had to get a pair to India.

Things I like about it...

-->Extremely Powerful for the size of speakers (doubt if you'd ever push the volume over 65% max)
--> Amazing sound and detailed clarity.
--> Subwoofer is extremely powerful (hence heavy by weight)
--> Klipsch is a brand that more than half of the cinema halls use across the USA. There is a page on their website that allows you to enter any USA zip code and it'll show you the cinema halls in the desired range of radius.

I don't have much experience but the models of these brands you've mentioned but I've used Altec Lansing and Logitech a long time ago. They both have small sized budget speakers that sound like shit. Every Klipsch product is spectacular. You'll love using promedia for movies and music... especially movies cause the sound effect with subwoofers is amazing.

Goodluck I hope that helped...

Hey
I have a 40" LCD with a blu ray player and an HD STB in my bedroom.
I was thinking of getting some budget sound for them.

Earlier I was considering the Vizio VSB200 available for 99$ or VHT210 for 199$ .But going by the reviews here i could make out that it is better to go in for a decent 2.1 rather than a low end soundbar. Am I Right?
How do these soundbars fair against the following 2.1 -

If not the sound bar then the following 2.1 systems i am considering (going by the reviews,haven't auditioned a single one):
Edifier S330d/C3
Logitech Z623
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
(Where to get them,or is it ok get them through ebay geb?)
Altec Lansing 6021

My Usage : 80% Movies,20% Music
Which of them should i buy or any other suggestions !

GEB is the only way you can get them. And that too only if you are lucky. I had tried 3-4 times and the order was cancelled and the amount was refunded. I got lucky once and got them. I'm sure GEB made a loss on them. The thing with GEB is that they use a script to calculate the total landing cost, and they don't take the weight into account. Might not be entirely their fault since the original seller might not have updated the weight. Given that the speakers are quite bulky, they realize soon that they can't ship it at the price at which you bought them and they refund your money. Also keep in mind that you would need a step down transformer as they run on US voltage.

Last edited:
I own a Klipsch Promedia 2.1, the wireless one and I love it. I earlier had Klipsch GMX Promedia 2.1 and I still have them at my sister's place. I just loved them so much that I had to get a pair to India.

From where did you get the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 wireless? How much is the cost?
I may be wrong - is Klipsch Promedia 2.1 was available a decade back? Or this Klipsch Promedia 2.1 wireless is the latest one?
Any links of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and Klipsch Promedia 2.1 wireless?
On one list in ebay the price is 19,990 (Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | eBay) and other lists shows apprx 6666 - 8000 or so!!

Thanks

GEB is the only way you can get them. And that too only if you are lucky. I had tried 3-4 times and the order was cancelled and the amount was refunded. I got lucky once and got them. ......Also keep in mind that you would need a step down transformer as they run on US voltage.

How much you paid? How much is the transformer/brand?

6.5-7. I'm using a 250W isolation transformer which cost me 1.8k, but if you go for an auto transformer, it would be less than half.
The huge variation in prices is due to the fact that I just mentioned. GEB's script would evaluate the shipping and duties and their own margin to $50 or so, which is somewhat less for a 13kg box. Hence, it might not work always. While it worked out for me, I would suggest you to consider other local alternatives before taking this route.

Last edited:
I'll enquire about it from gautum agencies - the listed dealer on their website.
I some how don't want to spend more than 8-9k on the system.Lets see if i can get it or even source them from US.

If i go upto 11-12k then i feel it would be better to extend my budget and get the Onkyo HT-S3300 for around 17k.
Although they both shouldn't be compared considering the different config and price.

But just in case which would be better 3300 or Promedia ? Basically better VFM considering that i am not keen on a 5.1 system because of the wires?
Getting the non wireless version for around 7k on ebay all inclusive.
I don't know if samsung is worth considering: getting Samsung HT-D350 for 7k & HT-C450 for 8.5k.Although i don't need the dvd player but i guess the amplifier is built in the player itself.

Last edited:
Speaking from just the VFM standpoint, I agree that you shouldn't spend too much on the promedias simply because you aren't really spending on the sound quality. A good fraction is going to shipping, duties and the transformer. So unless you can get a good deal (either new or used) avoid that route. I don't know much about the onkyo ht system, but I'm sure that you'll be able to find lots of options in that price range. In fact, do audition the ones that you had listed in your original list. All of them - promedias, the logitech ones, edifiers, altec lansings fall pretty much in the same bracket. i.e. Good multimedia speakers for less than $200. Since you need a system primarily for movies, I'm guessing that a subwoofer would be important. If that is not the case, you can look at bookshelves too.

Last edited:
6.5-7. I'm using a 250W isolation transformer which cost me 1.8k, but if you go for an auto transformer, it would be less than half.
The huge variation in prices is due to the fact that I just mentioned. GEB's script would evaluate the shipping and duties and their own margin to $50 or so, which is somewhat less for a 13kg box. Hence, it might not work always. While it worked out for me, I would suggest you to consider other local alternatives before taking this route.

Thanks prasun.
Yes even i looking for a 2.1 for my 22" TV and want to keep the cost low. This is purely for movies 100%. I shall check with OP if any good offers come in.

I may be wrong - is Klipsch Promedia 2.1 was available a decade back? Or this Klipsch Promedia 2.1 wireless is the latest one?
On one list in ebay the price is 19,990 (Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | eBay) and other lists shows apprx 6666 - 8000 or so!!

Thanks

YEs the promedia 2.1 is the same as the old one. After its success, they added a new variant that is wireless, so now you have two options. They are priced in the USA for $150 for the non-wireless ones and $200 for the wireless ones. So the price you've listed off ebay is too high. I did go over some replies in this thread and it provoked me to think if ordering promedias off internet from india is practical, you can always look at options or better deals and you may get lucky. Also the European version of Promedia has 220volts50hzs so if you're importing from there, you'll have no need to bother with the step down converters or isolating ones.

Being in the USA, Promedia would be an excellent choice for $200. I dont know about the other ones, nor do I know what all do the dealers in India sell. Do a good research before investing in something that'll help you unwind at the end of a tiring day... Good Luck!!

Thanks

Damn I responded with a long reply but it doesn't show up. well its the same old klipsch which is not available with a new variant and that is the wireless. the price is $150 for non wireless and $200 for the wireless ones. but ordering online will cost you twice or maybe even thrice as much. european klipsch 2.1 will save you the hassle of dealing with step down converters and such. which means ordering from europe if possible. consider other options suggested by experts here. i' just shared my wonderful experience with klipsch.

After reading thorough other reviews on hifivision. I think i should go in for a 5.1 only.
Earlier i was inclined towards edifier DA5000 pro but now the problem is that it doesn't have a coaxial input and my LG BD550 does have only a coaxial output and DA5000 has only rca inputs for each channel.
So do we have something to convert from coaxial to rca ?
IMO i can only experience dts if i give the speakers a proper signal.Right?
I don't want to buy a 5.1 for only the stereo surround.

I guess i should wait a bit and extend my budget to buy a Onkyo HT-S3400 ?

After reading thorough other reviews on hifivision. I think i should go in for a 5.1 only.
Earlier i was inclined towards edifier DA5000 pro but now the problem is that it doesn't have a coaxial input and my LG BD550 does have only a coaxial output and DA5000 has only rca inputs for each channel.
So do we have something to convert from coaxial to rca ?
IMO i can only experience dts if i give the speakers a proper signal.Right?
I don't want to buy a 5.1 for only the stereo surround.

I guess i should wait a bit and extend my budget to buy a Onkyo HT-S3400 ?

It is a good decision to wait for the Onkyo 3400. It is a highly recommended entry level HTIB that is future proof too.

Please check this link :

Q-TV2 - Q Acoustics Q-TV Q-TV2 "almost invisible but sonically impossible to ignore"Stuff, April 2010 "th...

Yes it can very much be wall mounted...

Its available in two sizes :

QTV-2 - 32" - 40"
QTV-2x - 42" - 50"

--------------

The price compared to any HiFi System is much lower...

Will suggest, please check out the quality first before terming it expensive...
This product has won quite a few awards in the segment, and has been even nominated for NDTV Gadget Guru Awards... That means, the product has some special features...

Please check this link :

Q-TV2 - Q Acoustics Q-TV Q-TV2 "almost invisible but sonically impossible to ignore"Stuff, April 2010 "th...

Yes it can very much be wall mounted...

Its available in two sizes :

QTV-2 - 32" - 40"
QTV-2x - 42" - 50"

--------------

The price compared to any HiFi System is much lower...

Will suggest, please check out the quality first before terming it expensive...
This product has won quite a few awards in the segment, and has been even nominated for NDTV Gadget Guru Awards... That means, the product has some special features...

Thanks for the info.I was terming it expensive relative to my budget.I decided on the Onkyo later.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back