2L budget - 5.1 channel home theatre options

And also I just noticed in the specs it is mentioned the frequency response is 20hz-160khz which is false. correct specs are 25hz-125khz. No matter who tells u to go for the dsw please don’t I have tested the sub to the core and it’s just horrible. Get the bic pl200-ii or if budget allows go for the svs.
He's right. I agree with him.

I wanted to
And also I just noticed in the specs it is mentioned the frequency response is 20hz-160khz which is false. correct specs are 25hz-125khz. No matter who tells u to go for the dsw please don’t I have tested the sub to the core and it’s just horrible. Get the bic pl200-ii or if budget allows go for the svs.
thanks so much! yes, i ruled out the polk subwoofer!

I owe you all an update on where i stand... after doing a lot of auditions, i realised that the polk RTI Series, Q Acoustics and Wharfdale diamond were not good enough for the performance i was looking for. No offense to any of the friends here who own this gear.. I thought the KEF was decent till the time i auditioned the B&W 683 S2 in 2 channel mode and it sounded really good. I also spent time auditioning several German and Italian speakers but they went over my budget in a big way... So i realised that if i need to get a great sounding system, my budget of 2.5 is not going to do it... i need to stretch to between 3.5 and 4.

I have spent the last month in only playing the same music from my apple itunes across multiple systems in 2 channel mode after that in HT mode for movies This is where i currently am in my configuration:

B&W 603 Floor Standing (this is the replacement of the 683 S2 which is now phased out)
B&W HTM6 Centre
Polk DiPole Rear Surround
I will add ceiling speakers as well for the full atmos experience

Marantz 5013 &
Emotiva Amp BASX A300

I need help in deciding if there is anything cheaper and better than the Emotiva Amp BASX A300 as the pricing seems high to me. This is primarily for the 2 channel amp i need to drive the floor standers...

For the sub, i am deciding between :
B&W ASW610 Sub OR
SVS PB1000 (Matt Finish - FYI Matt finish is cheaper than the glossy... i dont care much about the finish of subs)
BIC PL 200 II

Thanks so much!

Amit

Last edited:
I owe you all an update on where i stand... after doing a lot of auditions, i realised that the polk RTI Series, Q Acoustics and Wharfdale diamond were not good enough for the performance i was looking for. No offense to any of the friends here who own this gear.. I thought the KEF was decent till the time i auditioned the B&W 683 S2 in 2 channel mode and it sounded really good. I also spent time auditioning several German and Italian speakers but they went over my budget in a big way... So i realised that if i need to get a great sounding system, my budget of 2.5 is not going to do it... i need to stretch to between 3.5 and 4.

I have spent the last month in only playing the same music from my apple itunes across multiple systems in 2 channel mode after that in HT mode for movies This is where i currently am in my configuration:

B&W 603 Floor Standing (this is the replacement of the 683 S2 which is now phased out)
B&W HTM6 Centre
B&W ASW610 Sub OR SVS PB1000 (Matt Finish - FYI Matt finish is cheaper than the glossy... i dont care much about the finish of subs)

Marantz 5013 &
Emotiva Amp BASX A300

I need help in deciding if there is anything cheaper and better than the Emotiva Amp BASX A300 as the pricing seems high to me. This is primarily for the 2 channel amp i need to drive the floor standers...

Thanks so much!

Amit
Are you planning to use the 2 channel amp just for music or also for movies. I am not sure but just my thought. If you use a 2 channel amp for the floor standers wont it over power the center channel? I my opinion the front 3 power output and timber should match. 5 matching speakers will give a better sound signature in my opinion

B&W HTM6 Centre
B&W ASW610 Sub OR SVS PB1000 (Matt Finish - FYI Matt finish is cheaper than the glossy... i dont care much about the finish of subs)

Marantz 5013 &
Emotiva Amp BASX A300

Thanks so much!

Amit
Did u check all the selected speakers with the same amplifier?

B&W HTM6 Centre

Marantz 5013 &
Emotiva Amp BASX A300

Thanks so much!

Amit
Did u check all the selected speakers with the same amplifier?

pro. I used polk psw 125 and it was horrible the bas was so muddy. So i wanted to go for dsw pro and played the same content and found it equally bad so i went for the bic and extremely satisfied with the performance.

Yes the psw125 is a very average sub, however the Polk dsw550i which I owned is a rather nice sub. It’s just a personal preference. One mans meat is another mans poison. You may have not liked it during your demo. I owned the sub and really liked it a lot. Giving advice is one thing. Putting a product down because you were not satisfied with the demo,is being a lil irresponsible.

One really can’t demo a subwoofer. There are too many variables. Unlike a speaker which is much easier to demo.

And btw, the Polk dsw series is old. They don’t make or sell them anymore. It’s replaced by the new hts series of subs.

Yes the psw125 is a very average sub, however the Polk dsw550i which I owned is a rather nice sub. It’s just a personal preference. One mans meat is another mans poison. You may have not liked it during your demo. I owned the sub and really liked it a lot. Giving advice is one thing. Putting a product down because you were not satisfied with the demo,is being a lil irresponsible.

One really can’t demo a subwoofer. There are too many variables. Unlike a speaker which is much easier to demo.

And btw, the Polk dsw series is old. They don’t make or sell them anymore. It’s replaced by the new hts series of subs.
It’s not that I was not satisfied it struggled in lows nd produced muddy bass.nd my demo was not the average demo customers normally do for few contents in rough setting at a showroom. Did it for hours on countless contents. I noted all the scenes where the psw125 was horrible and played the same scenes with proper settings and calibration and can very well say it was bad. Even the dealer agreed and suggested me not to go for the sub. Imagine a dealer selling the sub advising not to go for the sub? Same price u get bic nd it’s way better in every aspect. Apart from rms dsw pro fails in that price range

Even the dealer agreed and suggested me not to go for the sub. Imagine a dealer selling the sub advising not to go for the sub?
Imagine that .... :rolleyes:

Maybe you should also send Polk an email and tell them how u extensively demo'ed their product and found it failing in all aspects. I'm sure they would be open to constructive criticism.

Imagine that .... :rolleyes:

Maybe you should also send Polk an email and tell them how u extensively demo'ed their product and found it failing in all aspects. I'm sure they would be open to constructive criticism.
I am just trying to help a FM get a better sub that’s all. No hard feelings.

as of now, the 2 channel amp is to power my music... its not a huge cost (around 40K or less) so instead of going with the Marantz 6013, i am thinking of Marantz 5013 and 2 channel.
From what i understand, the 2 channel amp can be configured to not over power the centre during 5.1 channel setup... have to see this in more detail.

Are you planning to use the 2 channel amp just for music or also for movies. I am not sure but just my thought. If you use a 2 channel amp for the floor standers wont it over power the center channel? I my opinion the front 3 power output and timber should match. 5 matching speakers will give a better sound signature in my opinion

I meant like all the polks kefs and wharfadales were played thru the same amplifier at the same settings?
no, this was very hard and a broken experience... the ProFX guys push for Denon, the other vendors push for the amps that they sell or distribute... but eventually i did hear the above config with the 6012 and emotiva setup...

Friends,

Any suggestions of a good rear speaker in bipolar setting? I was looking at the polk FXiA4 but seems profx is not going to sell individual components...

Thanks

Amit

B&W HTM6 Centre

Marantz 5013 &
Emotiva Amp BASX A300

BWs are good speakers. What is the new model retailing at these days in India.
They used to command quite a premium a few years ago.

BTW, you don't need to jump the gun on external power amp, unless you are absolutely convinced the AVR can't drive the speakers.
For movies, you'll have a sub running and the AVR has 70% guarantee. For 2Ch SR5013 has a respectable 100Wpc FTC spec.
So why the hurry. Get the AVR/speakers/sub sorted out and then hunt for extra power (after hearing only the AVR at your home).

Cheers,
Raghu

I have Monitor Audio BXFX bipolar surround speakers. They are compact and can be easily wall mount and having low end cut-off of 60Hz. Absolutely fantastic surround speakers, every minute details in surround channels is audible. Little expensive and now replace with MA Bronze BXFX. Compare to earlier JBL speaker , I can hear more surround information as JBL were crossover at 100Hz and were tiny satalite. JBL surround sound was intense, powerful and directly barks in the ears and MA are immersive, enveloping and have broader surround sound field.

BWs are good speakers. What is the new model retailing at these days in India.
They used to command quite a premium a few years ago.

BTW, you don't need to jump the gun on external power amp, unless you are absolutely convinced the AVR can't drive the speakers.
For movies, you'll have a sub running and the AVR has 70% guarantee. For 2Ch SR5013 has a respectable 100Wpc FTC spec.
So why the hurry. Get the AVR/speakers/sub sorted out and then hunt for extra power (after hearing only the AVR at your home).

Cheers,
Raghu
The B&W is MRP around 80k in india for the rears (606)

Yeah good point on the 2 channel... i think it makes sense to try out the 5013 and add in the 2 channel if i am not happy with the sound overall

Thanks!

Amit

The B&W is MRP around 80k in india for the rears (606)

Yeah good point on the 2 channel... i think it makes sense to try out the 5013 and add in the 2 channel if i am not happy with the sound overall

Thanks!

Amit

Hmmm ...
B&Ws still command a premium
Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Raghu

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back