2L budget - 5.1 channel home theatre options

I owe you all an update on where i stand... after doing a lot of auditions, i realised that the polk RTI Series, Q Acoustics and Wharfdale diamond were not good enough for the performance i was looking for. No offense to any of the friends here who own this gear.. I thought the KEF was decent till the time i auditioned the B&W 683 S2 in 2 channel mode and it sounded really good. I also spent time auditioning several German and Italian speakers but they went over my budget in a big way... So i realised that if i need to get a great sounding system, my budget of 2.5 is not going to do it... i need to stretch to between 3.5 and 4.

I have spent the last month in only playing the same music from my apple itunes across multiple systems in 2 channel mode after that in HT mode for movies This is where i currently am in my configuration:

B&W 603 Floor Standing (this is the replacement of the 683 S2 which is now phased out)
B&W HTM6 Centre
Polk DiPole Rear Surround
I will add ceiling speakers as well for the full atmos experience

Marantz 5013 &
Emotiva Amp BASX A300

I need help in deciding if there is anything cheaper and better than the Emotiva Amp BASX A300 as the pricing seems high to me. This is primarily for the 2 channel amp i need to drive the floor standers...

For the sub, i am deciding between :
B&W ASW610 Sub OR
SVS PB1000 (Matt Finish - FYI Matt finish is cheaper than the glossy... i dont care much about the finish of subs)
BIC PL 200 II

Thanks so much!

Amit
Please do let me know between pb1000 and bic america pl 200. Its hard to get a demo of both at one location. But since svs is costlier as compared to bic i wud want to know whether the extra cost is justified.

I believe PB1000 is available only Black Ash finish. Gloss finish is not available for PB1000.
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000

PB1000 score well in the deep bass area, where as many mentions that PL200 scores in mid bass area.

Since audio is subjective, it is better if you can audition with same content in showrooms and decide whether the extra amount is worth it.

Most of the recommendations are like, you can't go wrong with SVS. Some opt for PL200 since the cost is less and budget constraints.

I would recommend you to experience yourself and decide, if you make a wrong choice, it will be difficult to change later without incurring losses.

Ok, so i finalized the following setup. A big thanks to all the members here who guided me through:
1) B&W 603 Floor
2) B&W HTM6 Centre
3) SVS PB1000 (on trial at my room but my guy assures is good enough for my room size else i can change it)
4) Rear - Nota 260 for now on demo with option to return if it doesnt meet my requirements while installing) Else will upgrade to the B&W 606 itself
5) Atmos speakers
6) Marantz 6013 amp
7) Emotiva 300 2 channel

Went over my budget by a fair bit but heck, you only live once... now time to sell off my Bose V35 to fund the purchase :)

Amit

I believe PB1000 is available only Black Ash finish. Gloss finish is not available for PB1000.
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000

PB1000 score well in the deep bass area, where as many mentions that PL200 scores in mid bass area.

Since audio is subjective, it is better if you can audition with same content in showrooms and decide whether the extra amount is worth it.

Most of the recommendations are like, you can't go wrong with SVS. Some opt for PL200 since the cost is less and budget constraints.

I would recommend you to experience yourself and decide, if you make a wrong choice, it will be difficult to change later without incurring losses.
I decided to get the SVS PB1000 for my room on trial... Just too much of a hassle going around looking for the same calibrated demos. The B&W 603 are supposed to be excellent at mid bass so i think the SVS will do fine with the deep bass in combo..

Thanks a ton!

Ok, so i finalized the following setup. A big thanks to all the members here who guided me through:
1) B&W 603 Floor
2) B&W HTM6 Centre
3) SVS PB1000 (on trial at my room but my guy assures is good enough for my room size else i can change it)
4) Rear - Nota 260 for now on demo with option to return if it doesnt meet my requirements while installing) Else will upgrade to the B&W 606 itself
5) Atmos speakers
6) Marantz 6013 amp
7) Emotiva 300 2 channel

Went over my budget by a fair bit but heck, you only live once... now time to sell off my Bose V35 to fund the purchase :)

Amit
Congrats. Enjoy!!
Cheers,
Raghu

I decided to get the SVS PB1000 for my room on trial... Just too much of a hassle going around looking for the same calibrated demos. The B&W 603 are supposed to be excellent at mid bass so i think the SVS will do fine with the deep bass in combo..

Thanks a ton!

Good choice
Are you getting it from a friend? or the dealer is allowing in-home demo/trial ?
You may do a subwoofer crawling to identify right position for the subwoofer for good effect.

Good choice
Are you getting it from a friend? or the dealer is allowing in-home demo/trial ?
You may do a subwoofer crawling to identify right position for the subwoofer for good effect.
Dealer who came referred through a good friend.. that’s why the benefits

1) B&W 603 Floor
2) B&W HTM6 Centre
5) Atmos speakers
6) Marantz 6013 amp
7) Emotiva 300 2 channel

Amit
How much did you get all this for?

1) B&W 603 Floor
2) B&W HTM6 Centre
5) Atmos speakers
6) Marantz 6013 amp
7) Emotiva 300 2 channel

Amit
congrats mate , was in same dilemma with HT and 2 channel setup ..about to buy SR6013 which is still pretty good AVR(was getting in very good price around 80k ), and was planning for have 2 channel integrated amp as well, later switch to NAD T758v3 avr and it may be does not has all the good features of SR6013 but yes i am satisfied with the sound for stereo and HT both, in my small room. As per your config and room size a two channel power amp definitely add some more juice to music listening and HT front stage.

wish you a happy listening time. share some picture after setup.

congrats mate , was in same dilemma with HT and 2 channel setup ..about to buy SR6013 which is still pretty good AVR(was getting in very good price around 80k ), and was planning for have 2 channel integrated amp as well, later switch to NAD T758v3 avr and it may be does not has all the good features of SR6013 but yes i am satisfied with the sound for stereo and HT both, in my small room. As per your config and room size a two channel power amp definitely add some more juice to music listening and HT front stage.

wish you a happy listening time. share some picture after setup.
isnt a new denon 3600h for 85k will be better than sr6013 for 80k

Definitely yes on HT pov, but Marantz has some warm sound, which I like for music listening during audition(sr5013), apart from that x3600h is a better choice over sr6013 as per me others may deffer :) .

Denon 3700 is coming, check the new features and see whether you need any of it and is it worth to wait.
Note: Price of 3700 also will be higher

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back