300B Tube Headphone amp cum Preamp from Transcendent Sound

captrajesh

Staff member
I've got a mail from Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound that they are making 300B based Headphone amp cm Preamp combo.

Transcendent300BPreamp_zps83484669.jpg

Well I finally did it. I didn't want to create just another headphone amp and I don't want to bring any products to market that do not represent a significant improvement over the typical offerings. This new design provides three functions in one package.

1) It's a headphone amp. By using the 300B, all of its silky smooth qualities are provided for headphone use.

Power Output:
150 mW into 30 ohms
500 mW into 100 ohms
1000 mW into 600 ohms.

Output impedance of only 15 ohms. It's dead quiet. No hum or hiss.

2) It's a fully functional preamp.
It has three inputs and volume control. Gain is 12 dB. Outputs are on the back to drive any power amp. This allows the wonderful 300B sound to be added to any system.

3) High current output.
The amp can provide up to 70 mA of current which will drive the capacitance of very long cables. It can then be located anywhere in the listening room. Easily drives subwoofer amps.

Guess what else it an do? It should be able to directly drive most any 16 ohm horn speaker with an efficiency of 110 dB or higher. It is quiet enough and there is enough power.

Estimated kit price will be $600 without tubes and $850 with tubes. The price may go up or down a bit depending upon final refinements.

Sub Buddy Update
I made some changes to the layout and an ready to order sheet metal. Sorry for the delay. Although there is some overlap between these two new products, they serve different functions. The headphone output on the Sub Buddy is an added feature and not its primary function. The new 300B headphone amp has 10 times as much power and will provide the best headphone listening experience. Both have high current outputs but again, the 300B can drive even longer cables. Both can drive long subwoofer cables. They could be used together or by themselves. The Sub Buddy has no gain and one input. The 300B has gain and three inputs. So many choices!

Keep watching! I'm not done yet. Thanks for subscribing to the Newsletter.

Sincerely,

Bruce Rozenblit
President
Transcendent Sound, Inc.
www.transcendentsound.com

Looking forward to hear how this sounds.

I was hoping to read that you had a demo unit! :( :lol:

If and when, I'll be right there, 'phones on head, jack plug in hand!

am i missing something here ? Please guide..

"Power Output:
150 mW into 30 ohms
500 mW into 100 ohms
1000 mW into 600 ohms. "

what about headphones with impedance of 30-40 ohms but max power handling of around 700 mW.

am i missing something here ? Please guide..

"Power Output:
150 mW into 30 ohms
500 mW into 100 ohms
1000 mW into 600 ohms. "

what about headphones with impedance of 30-40 ohms but max power handling of around 700 mW.

No, you aren't missing anything. Tube amps do increase current to higher impedance loads. For tube amps, more the impedance more the current.

For your headphone, it will be a safe match.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back