32 inch vs 40 inch Sony LED TV

maheeinfy

Hi guys,
After days of reading over web, i have decided to go for 40 inch Sony LED(probably 40EX430) since i dont want 3D/Smart TV features. And this model has Direct LED too which i hope to be better than edge led models.
Anyway today i went to a local store to check how this is gonna actually look. They were playing some HD channels thorugh a set top box(dish tv) and it was a bliss to watch. Now the horror begins when he switched to a SD channel. It was pixels and more pixels. Unless im watching tv from more than 3mtrs, pixles are clearly visible. Below 3m(what i prefer), 32inch tv(32EX330) displays better output.
I think if i want a 40inch TV, i must get a HD set top box. Else if i want to stick with SD stb/local cable connection, i can buy a 32inch model.

But i really loved 40inch,(32 felt small for me) but since most of the channels(south indian) are not in HD, i feel forced to go for 32inch.

Guys help me out here..what should i do? Getting a different set top box like Tata Sky will help improve video quality?

Hi Frnd,

go for the 40 inch, 32 looks small after few days. and about the PQ in sd it will be like pixelated as the screen size increases. but switch to HD and you wont regret buying big size. After watching HD , i only see them SD channels about 5% usage.:yahoo:

As everybody said, go for 40" model. Despite the small size of my room (in a rented house I live), I opted for 40" and now it looks like a theater screen to me ;-)
And when I visit my friend who has 32" model, I find it too small to watch.

When you will start watching HD, you won't look at all at SD channel.
I only watch News Channels in SD.
As far as your concern on South Indian channels not being in HD, I would like to say there are few South Indian HD channels also available on Sun Direct DTH (However most of them show only upscaled programs, but in future they will also become True HD).
Take the plunge on 40" and you won't regret.

even you can try 50 incher plasmas if budget permites...
can be had like 50x30 with 54k.... ;-)
and dont worry the sd programmes from a hd box looks quite good if not execellent in a 42 incher plasma...
but a cable wont do...you have to upgrade it anyway regardless lcd/plasma...

otherwise 40 sony model you mentioned is perfect...

Many thanks for the replies..appreciate it :)
I changed my mind and bought Samsung UA 40EH5000 for 36800 today from ebay. 40EX430 is available for 40k but i was not sure whether that extra money was worth it.
Hope im right with my decision. And regarding dth, im planning to get Tata Sky HD. Please suggest if any better/cheaper alternatives.
Also most reviewed tv seem to be UN 40EH5000 but in india UA 40EH5000 is available. Are they both same?

Yes they are same. Congratulations :)

Tata SKY HD is good but check channels list of all DTH and confirm if all channels you require are provided.

Many thanks for the replies..appreciate it :)
I changed my mind and bought Samsung UA 40EH5000 for 36800 today from ebay. 40EX430 is available for 40k but i was not sure whether that extra money was worth it.
Hope im right with my decision. And regarding dth, im planning to get Tata Sky HD. Please suggest if any better/cheaper alternatives.
Also most reviewed tv seem to be UN 40EH5000 but in india UA 40EH5000 is available. Are they both same?
Congratulations. You may wish to explore Videocon d2h also as they provide maximum HD channels as of date and cheaper than most.

Ok guys..much awaited TV has come :)

First impressions..Looks good. I got the rectangle shaped stand which i like better than round one..for some reason.Video looks good. I watched blu ray prints of some movies and as expected they look amazing. Audio quality is not great but not bad either.

But the panel that i got is AD01(can be seen on the sticker on the back of tv as version no.) which means its AMVA. I read that this is bad compared to SPVA panel. I want to know did i get ripped off? Is AMVA really that bad?

I know thats a good advice. Its just that i need to know if i was wrong in choosing samsung over sony because of this panel lottery thing sammy has going on..That way i canavoid sammy in future tv purchases.

Anyway..i understood that mine is AMVA panel which is not all bad. It is only second to SPVA. I can live with that :eek:

I was in a similar dilemma few days back could not decide between 42" (LG) and 46" (Samsung), however I bought a bigger Tv and I am very happy with it. I would suggest gor the bigger screen. Even I saw the Sony 40Ex430 and love the slim line design, however i got samsung EH5000 series for almost same price. Difference is EH5000 is thicker from the back then Sony but i dont have to look at the back right?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back