3D BDP or 3D HD Media Player

TheSeeker

Hello everyone !

am on the look-out of a 3D player that would complement my VT20 well. i will keep it short. i have a PS3, which can play 3D blu-ray discs. moreover, am really not much interested in purchasing blu-ray disks or renting them often (i cant spare much time and money into these :p ). i would mostly be using downloaded 3D BD ISOs. keeping these in mind, would a stand-alone 3D BD player be really recommended for my usage ?!

assuming the answer to above is a NO, i also have been reading upon some HD media players, and have decided to wait till dec. to get a 3D media player. earlier i was thinking upon getting asus o'play, ac ryan, etc., but realising that with a 3D TV, getting a good 3D media player would be a good decision, i decided to stretch my budget and have thought of getting either of the following models :

1. HiMedia HD 900D (to be released in dec.)

2. xtreamer prodigy (slightly costlier though)

3. egreat R300

OR

logitech revue (this is said to be the 1st gen of google TV, though i cant seem to understand whether it would fulfill my core requirements. i really dont care for its 'extra' features like internet apps and all)

i have selected these as i read that these have extensive and regular firmware updates and support.

i will let you take over now. please suggest :)

P.S. - wont like to spend upwards of 15k, and the lesser the better :)

Go for popcorn hour A-210/A-300 which cost $199/ $219 + or if you have more budget jump in for C-200 which cost $299 +. Both will play 3D rips..

Regards

Last edited:
Go for popcorn hour A-210/A-300 which cost $199/ $219 + or if you have more budget jump in for C-200 which cost $299 +. Both will play 3D rips..

Regards

Go for Himedia 900D even iam waiting for it for my VT20D. Since it has an option of BD loader. But still no reviews. But spoke to detna.com fellow he said that it will be released in dec and said that the loader has some issue so working on it that's what the delay anyway me want to wait and watch best of luck!!!!

Last edited:
Go for Himedia 900D even iam waiting for it for my VT20D. Since it has an option of BD loader. But still no reviews. But spoke to detna.com fellow he said that it will be released in dec and said that the loader has some issue so working on it that's what the delay anyway me want to wait and watch best of luck!!!!

It will not come even an inch closer to the performance of Popcorn hour... See our forum members who bought it thrown it up for sale in the "For sale" section.:p:p

@ srini - thanks ! but wont the current/upcoming crop of realtek chipset based players, priced on the same line, be a better alternative to the players you mentioned ?! pls suggest if am wrong.

@ raj - thanks ! raghu told me he cant confirm whether it will be released in even dec. BD loader is ? for loading BD-ISOs ? i think even 900B does that

UPDATE - @ srini - i see what you wrote now. so you're talking in terms of PQ, etc ?

Dude seriously PS3 can play all SBS rips without any problem. Why need other media player. I am baffled. And why download a full 3D BR ISOs? Each one is around 45GB and you dont get for all movies!!

Most very high quality 3D SBS 1080p rips are around 15-18 GB and they can all be played very well in your PS3 and 3D can be manually enabled on the TV and has gr8 pq. Why simply spend another 15k ?

thats because am not certain that by using the PS3 as a media player too, would i be somehow reducing the PS3's life time ?! i thought of using it mostly just as a gaming console. dont know if it works that way though and these just amount to as false worries/assumptions.

Only the file format compatibility and power consumption are the two advantages in a media player over a PS3.

thats because am not certain that by using the PS3 as a media player too, would i be somehow reducing the PS3's life time ?! i thought of using it mostly just as a gaming console. dont know if it works that way though and these just amount to as false worries/assumptions.

:) Dont worry dude. PS3 has a processor just like a pc and using it more will not reduce its lifetime in all likeliness. File format compatibility is something you have to look at as i don't know which codecs ps3 supports but i think it will support h.264 which is mostly used for ripping blurays.

'ps3 showtime' is an app for jailbroken PS3s, which recently has added support for MKVs too. i havent tried that yet. natively, the PS3 supports *.TS, *.MP4, *.M2TS, etc, but not mkv. so most of the times i find myself converting rips to a supported format, mostly to M2TS. though it gets done in a jiffy, but nevertheless i find it frustrating to do it often. a media player would be a good solution to just pop-in my drive and start enjoying the movies :)

Mine is with 3.73 system software and plays TS, MP4 & M2TS flawlessly. I think the issue pops up when the file size is more than 4 gb. It plays mkv too over wired network if the file size is less than 4 gb but the moment it is over that limit, none of the above formats are played over the network.

PlayStation 3 Secrets

May be this will be useful to all PS3 users

Regards,

Amit

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back