3D Media players?

BLASTO

Hi Guys,

Pardon my ignorance..

Which Media players support 3D HD? All? None?
What is the format/container for the content?

Also, Is there a media device which can do 2D->3D conversion for 3D equipped TVs?

Any guidence appreciated.

Right now as for my knowledge
popcorn hour supports 3D with HDMI 1.3 ( not able to believe but its their way of technology )
Xtreamer Prodigy Supports 3D with HDMI 1.4

^^ It may be side by side (SBS) 3D. Any media player can play SBS 3D. Xtreamer prodigy supports 3D. Himedia HD900 also supports 3D.

On a related note, how about 3D through an HTPC ? I have a blue ray drive and software (powerDVD) which says it supports 3D. The mobo has HDMI 1.3 out. Can I pay a 3D blu ray to a 3D tv and get a flawless play (I can actually try this when i get delivery of the VT20 :)) .. or will i need to add a graphics card with HDMI 1.4 ?

Any thougts ?

^^ It may be side by side (SBS) 3D. Any media player can play SBS 3D. Xtreamer prodigy supports 3D. Himedia HD900 also supports 3D.

Is the 3D image different for different TVs??
Eg: Can same media player detect the Samsung/Panasonic/Sony/LG TVs and send 3D image appropriately?
As far as I know, different manufacturers display different images of 3D? Or is it all same?

On a related note, how about 3D through an HTPC ? I have a blue ray drive and software (powerDVD) which says it supports 3D. The mobo has HDMI 1.3 out. Can I pay a 3D blu ray to a 3D tv and get a flawless play (I can actually try this when i get delivery of the VT20 :)) .. or will i need to add a graphics card with HDMI 1.4 ?

Any thougts ?

You can play 3D blurays if you have nvidia graphics cards as their latest firmware support hdmi 1.4

Is the 3D image different for different TVs??
Eg: Can same media player detect the Samsung/Panasonic/Sony/LG TVs and send 3D image appropriately?
As far as I know, different manufacturers display different images of 3D? Or is it all same?

I will post the same explanation that I posted on HIMedia thread quoting "baijuxavior" there. Posting the same here for people info ...

"Just to add and clear the confusion, SBS 3D is not a player dependent 3D format, any player can play SBS 3D, try out download any SBS sample 3D file and try plating on PlayON, WD Live ... any media player. It would out put the file on a normal TV with two separate pictures side by side. Its the 3D TV that combines the two images to give you a 3D image. An SBS 3D movie is not an actual 3D movie, any 2D movie can be ripped in to 3D SBS format using Avisynth scripts and can be played on any 3D TV, so its not any achievement of the player itself"

To add........... this can be achieved on HDMI 1.3. We only need HDMI 1.4 for frame sequential 3D, which is better and actual BD 3D.

Last edited:

Any thougts ?

The latest intel sandybrigde with HD3000 gfx can play even frame sequential 3D, but the results are not good and a bit unstable as well. SBS is a piece of cake obviously. For 3D BD.....better get a nvidia GPU, a low level GPU is also pretty sufficient for movie playback 2D or 3D. Like for example nVidia GT440 (that I have in my HTPC) plays frame sequential 3D absolutely fine. But yes for frame sequential 3D you got to have HDMI 1.4. SBS can be played on the usual 1.3.

PS :: I forgot to add, for software, dont look anywhere by Total Media Theater 5. Plays FSQ, SBS 3D perfectly. PowerDVD is okie if you ask me.

Last edited:
I will post the same explanation that I posted on HIMedia thread quoting "baijuxavior" there. Posting the same here for people info ...

"Just to add and clear the confusion, SBS 3D is not a player dependent 3D format, any player can play SBS 3D, try out download any SBS sample 3D file and try plating on PlayON, WD Live ... any media player. It would out put the file on a normal TV with two separate pictures side by side. Its the 3D TV that combines the two images to give you a 3D image. An SBS 3D movie is not an actual 3D movie, any 2D movie can be ripped in to 3D SBS format using Avisynth scripts and can be played on any 3D TV, so its not any achievement of the player itself"

To add........... this can be achieved on HDMI 1.3. We only need HDMI 1.4 for frame sequential 3D, which is better and actual BD 3D.

So, normally is there a mode setting in the TV to set SBS vs frame sequential or it is detected automatically?
Will the same pair of glasses work with both formats?

Not Sure about other TVs but LG Cinema 3D LW series, detects it automatically, but if for some reason it does not (as was the case with some files), you can open the menu and select manually, and yes the same pair of glasses work on both formats, however, you cannot expect to use the same file (fame sq or SBS) on a TV using polarized 3D technique and use active shutter glasses and vice verse.

This is true. I recorded a 3D channel (SBS) on my usb pen drive and used it to test on 3D TVs. The file is also read and shown as side by side ( split screen) video. If the media player can support the transfer rate, IMO any media player will read the 3D file.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back