40 inches LCD brand / model? (Mumbai)

@reignofchaos
>> I got a straight 3k off from the price at croma by not opting for extended warranty which is nothing but insurance from tata aig.
They told me that they will service and if part is in fault, will try to repair it and if cannot be repaired, will replace it and if it cannot be replaced will give compensation. Does insurance mean something else? ( Sorry, if I my question sounds naive, just being sure ;) )

I got a straight 3k off from the price at croma by not opting for extended warranty which is nothing but insurance from tata aig. Got another grand off as i said i dont need home delivery. This was for my Philips 9703.

Damn u lucky guy! I mean with regards to the 9703.:)

adder: Thanks for the feedback about Panasonic using the IPS panels similar to LG. My feelings exactly about the way you described their picture quality. No wonder I didn't like the Panasonic picture as much.

sachin_k5 & Bull: I had called ICICI-Lombard General Insurance company to inquire if they sell extended warranty as well but they don't. They do sell Insurance for contents of a home (appliances, furniture, etc.) but that covers only calamities (man-made and natural) like fire, theft, floods, etc. Tata-AIG's extended warranty is an actual product warranty for repairs and replacement. The sad part is that Tata AIG sell it ONLY through Croma and not if you approach them directly (like I did).

Bull: Croma had said that for electronics below Rs.50,000 their extended warranty will cost Rs.1,800 and for electronics above Rs.50,00 it will be Rs.2,800 flat. But after learning about how much LG charges per year for giving extended warranty, I wonder if the Croma fees are for combined two years (my earlier impression) or if they are per year (more likely). Also, Thanks bull for letting me know about Croma's rates lists being monthly and eZone offering Saturday / Sunday deals. Also, thanks for letting me know about the bargaining policy of different Croma branches. I will try to go to Malad Croma then.

alokbharti: I do feel exactly like that "darr ke aage jeet hai", but that moment passes away. A friend of mine (living by the same stretch of khaadi and who has shared similar woes as I about other electronics items) had bought a smaller Sony Bravia LCD for his guestroom that went bad after the first year. They are asking him for Rs. 6,000 to repair on a Rs.20,000 LCD. It's lying unused for 4 months and he claims he will eventually get around to repairing it for a lesser price elsewhere. Hence, trying to be practical since I live in that same coastal belt (Santacruz to Goregaon) that gets a lot of issues from the Sulphur / Industrial dumping into the khaadi in this area. While I confess that I do get those moments of inspiration where I say "jo hoga dekha jayega", but a frank self-assessment brings one word to mind ... :eek:hyeah: "fattu" :lol:.

-----------

Anyways, I have not been able to go to the showrooms for checking their latest rates and neither have I moved on the Onkyo Home Theatre front. But I appreciate all your inputs and for putting up with me while I try to arrive at a decision.

But I do think that this forum is amazing and love the fact that people can share their experiences and knowledge to help the next guy make the correct decision (and to avoid mistakes already made by others). Thanks to the Forum administrators for this useful website. :clapping:

adder: Thanks for the feedback about Panasonic using the IPS panels similar to LG. My feelings exactly about the way you described their picture quality. No wonder I didn't like the Panasonic picture as much.

IPS panels have nothing to do with what you saw.

Panasonic and LG lcds(other than lh90) have pathetic image processing systems compared to Sony, samsung or philips.

If you really want to see what an IPS panel can do, check a philips or hitachi.

Latest updates:
- Day-before-y'day - I went to check the price at Juhu Croma and they were willing to discount Samsung 40LAB530 from Rs.55,000 to 51,700 but that was because it was their last display piece. They finally spilled the beans that they did not have any stock at all of B530 and B550. They were waiting for Samsung's C-series to arrive in about 10 days. I asked him to check other showrooms and went back to them in the evening but they did not even have one piece.
Yesterday - I had been to eZone and Croma in Oberoi Mall Goregaon. Croma again reconfirmed the same story that they did not have any stock. eZone did not have any stock of B530 but has 6 packs of B550 that he was willing to sell for 54,700 (today he called to offer even more discount but I had already bought B530 by then). But again eZone did not ahve any extended warranty. Without that factor, Snehanjali was the best price for me at 48000.
- I went and bought it today for that price from Snehanjali. Delivery tomorrow. Now I just wish for the best with the 1-year Samsung warranty and with no extended warranty.
- Later, I had gone to Alfa to check for something else and inquired about B530 and they had them in stock for 48,500.

I have also bought Onkyo HT-S3200 today and that too is arriving tomorrow. I now have to buy a HDMI compatible DVD player to complete it all.

Thanks for all your help and support.

Since you have an HDTV, opting for a blu-ray player instead of a DVD player seems to be a little more future-proof. Blu-ray stocks are increasing, and prices will fall. They have already fallen in the US and blu seems to be the way to go. Just some humble advice.

simple_person_india: Congrats! on your purchase. My Samsung 37a550 is a year old and I am pretty much happy with it. The motion and blacks could be much better.

You can hardly go wrong with latest (2009, 2010) LCD/LED from brands like Samsung, Sony and LG. The technology is almost at it's peak and any improvement will always be incremental rather than ground-breaking.

For your DVD I would suggest Philips or Toshiba (free HDMI thrown in).

Happy viewing :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Thank you guys. So far, so good. Though a bit exhausted from all the related activities since last Sunday.

Sunday: Bought LCD and HT.
Monday: Bought stand / trolley. LCD delivery on Monday evening. HT delivery and verification / demo on Monday evening.
Tuesday: Stand / Trolley delivery and installation on Tuesday. LCD installation. Then Tata Sky order, delivery and installation on Tuesday evening.
Wednesday: Reassembly of stand due to incorrect assembly on previous day. Electrician came over to measure HT speaker cables lengths.
Thursday / Today: Research HT speaker cables and order purchase.
Tomorrow / Friday: Delivery of cables and call electrician for HT speaker installation.
Saturday: Call Onkyo for HT setup.

Phew.

Thank you guys. So far, so good. Though a bit exhausted from all the related activities since last Sunday.

Sunday: Bought LCD and HT.
Monday: Bought stand / trolley. LCD delivery on Monday evening. HT delivery and verification / demo on Monday evening.
Tuesday: Stand / Trolley delivery and installation on Tuesday. LCD installation. Then Tata Sky order, delivery and installation on Tuesday evening.
Wednesday: Reassembly of stand due to incorrect assembly on previous day. Electrician came over to measure HT speaker cables lengths.
Thursday / Today: Research HT speaker cables and order purchase.
Tomorrow / Friday: Delivery of cables and call electrician for HT speaker installation.
Saturday: Call Onkyo for HT setup.

Phew.

congrats for your purchase.
so far so good.:)
post your reviews and possible pic's.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back