42" Plasma. Panasonic PV80D or C10D

btridip

Hello Folks,

I was completely lost in deciding what to buy or how to do some fact findings till i found hifivision. After going through a lot of threads and the good feedback on the Panasonic PV8/80 model, i want to buy it. But when i went to the panasonic store, i was told that they were discontinued and should buy the C10D at 44K. Should i look elsewhere or go for the C10D. Please advise.

I believe in VFM. I still have my panasonic 47" CRT projection (PT47WX42) that i bought in US in 2001. Now, i am in india and it is still serving my without any problems till date. I play it with a Altona PAL-NTSC converter. Even the SD Content looks darn good. The weight and volume of the set is a problem for me. Is there somehow i can exchange or sell this old set?

Thanks.

Seems like PV80D is just not in production or available anymore. The PV8 is available. Unilet is quoting 37.5K for the PV8 and 42.5 for the C10D. I saw the Samsung 42B430 plasma too in the showroom for ~42K. Looks really enticing. Uncertainty is now creeping in. Can somebody please advise?

Unilet is quoting 37.5 for the display piece!! Otherwise i would have bought that. I am now stuck between the Panny C10, Samsung 430, LGPQ60 !! All priced around 42K. Any advise would be helpful.Waiting..:)

You can go for C10 out of all the models you have mentioned in the range, also try to negotiate a little on the price, if not try to get some freebies along with the deal.

Thank you very much..Will go for the C10. What is the best price that i can get C10 for, in bangalore? Should i wait for the new year sale?

try looking at Samsung 42b450.i have the set and it plays SD quite well and also has anti reflection features.I got it for 45K ,you could get it for lesser.

I do not see this model anywhere. Which store did you buy that from? I see the samsung plasma 42b430 model in e-zone for 42K. Is that good too?

In my personal opinion the older series of Panasonic Plasma's are much better than New Series. It appears they are doing cost cutting both in the structure or frame and body of the TV. And the picture tube quality is not same like the earlier models PV-8 or 80 or 800.
Panasonic might be claiming better specs on paper but picture quality and rigidity of the Panel looks much inferior to PV series. May be they are trying to cash in on the success and good reviews of PV series.
I have a 42" PV-7 which has stunning picture quality both on Tata Sky Tv and DVD's. Now I bought their 32" newer model which appears much inferior compared to PV-7 leave alone PV-8 or 80 or 800.
This is my experience and others may differ. i think Samsung Plasma could be a better alternative option as it has received good ratings in reviews.
Santosh
Santosh

In my personal opinion the older series of Panasonic Plasma's are much better than New Series. It appears they are doing cost cutting both in the structure or frame and body of the TV. And the picture tube quality is not same like the earlier models PV-8 or 80 or 800.
Panasonic might be claiming better specs on paper but picture quality and rigidity of the Panel looks much inferior to PV series. May be they are trying to cash in on the success and good reviews of PV series.
I have a 42" PV-7 which has stunning picture quality both on Tata Sky Tv and DVD's. Now I bought their 32" newer model which appears much inferior compared to PV-7 leave alone PV-8 or 80 or 800.
This is my experience and others may differ. i think Samsung Plasma could be a better alternative option as it has received good ratings in reviews.
Santosh
Santosh

SKR though I agree with you (on last year plasma being better, comparing a Plasma with 32 LCD is not the right way. Each model has it pros and cons. I compared last year LCD of Pana with this years and they were marginally better this year. Again, this was just for some 20 mins which I saw at a friends place

Hi Madbu,
I fully agree with you that you cannot compare 32"with 42" or 50". Generally speaking bigger size screen with same specs will give better picture quality.
My son bought 50" PV-800 or 850 fullHD model in USA on my recommendation and he told me that it was much better then same model 42" & 46" TV.
Actually i forgot to mention that I compared old 32" with the newer one in the store and i really liked the older one and wanted to buy that only. But unfortunately there was no stock except the demo piece. I got it checked by my dealer with Panasonic Thailand and they also had sold out entire stock.
I wish i had bought the demo piece which was on sale at a special price.
SKR

I do not see this model anywhere. Which store did you buy that from? I see the samsung plasma 42b430 model in e-zone for 42K. Is that good too?

The picture quality should be identical in the Samsung 42b430 and 42b450.
The ony difference is the number of hdmi inputs. At least that is my understanding.

I recently bought a Samsung plasma (the 50B450) and am very happy with its performance.

Thanks everybody. I went to the shop 'Modern World' to get the C10D. I was surpirsed to see the PV80D model there. They quoted 40K. I did not hesitate even a bit to buy it. The SD picture quality is really very good. Thanks again to every body for their support.

40k for pv80d is a awesome deal, my friend bought the same for 48k 6 months back, prices for old models really drop once new ones come on board.

Can somebody suggest a dependable power stabilizer for this plasma TV?

Try the V-Guard Digital 100 stabilizer. Should be good for the 42" plus you can hook up other electrinic components to it. Read the dedicated thread, "Difference b/w Monster Surge Protector & V-Guard Voltage Stabilizer for LCD TVs". It will help you.

i am facing the same situation..pv80d or c10?
i heard that c10 consumes less energy..has a life of 1,00,000 hrs..600hz etc.
so is pv80 really better??
both are available..
plz suggest which 1 should i buy?

oh and also tell me if plasmas are fine for gaming?
is thr ne flickering while playing games?
initially wanted to ge' t a 37" inch lcd(samsung series 5)
bt the price difference wz 2 much between the 32 and 37..thts whn i even considered a plasma..bt the more i read..the more they seem better!!
so is a 42" panasonic plasma tv better for me as compared to a 37" lcd??
will tata sky+ look gud on it?(i m hoping the component out will give me sm advantage)..will it be ok if i watch it from a distance of 7-8ft?
n r lights really tht big a problem?
hw would games luk on it as compared to a full hd lcd?

n r lights really tht big a problem?

Lights are a problem - yes - you must remember that plasmas have a glass panel, like CRTs, and so they reflect much more than teh matte LCD panels.
It will always be better to avoid any direct light on the TV, diffused lighting should be OK.

so is a 37" lcd better for me?
i dnt have ne window in tht room..bt thr is a tubelight at 90 deg to whr the plasma will be placed..so will this be a problem?
i can also get a 37" panasonic lcd..though i like the samsung 5 series 4 lcd's(37" 5 series is just 2 expensive as compared to the 32"..so i dnt feel the price diff. is jstified for 5")
plz tell me wat will be better..a 37" lcd or a 42"plasma??
i would mainly use it for watching tv(tata sky+)..lots of movies...and gaming(dnt have a ps3..will connect my laptop 4 this right nw..will this be ok?)
i m really nt able to decide..
n plz highlight the difference btw a pv80 and a c10/x10..i dnt think i will be buying a replacement ne tym soon..so whatever i buy needs to be reliable..love the lgpq70 bt since i dnt really trust lg m nt tht inclined towards it..
i can spend arnd 45k

so is a 37" lcd better for me?
i dnt have ne window in tht room..bt thr is a tubelight at 90 deg to whr the plasma will be placed..so will this be a problem?
i can also get a 37" panasonic lcd..though i like the samsung 5 series 4 lcd's(37" 5 series is just 2 expensive as compared to the 32"..so i dnt feel the price diff. is jstified for 5")
plz tell me wat will be better..a 37" lcd or a 42"plasma??
i would mainly use it for watching tv(tata sky+)..lots of movies...and gaming(dnt have a ps3..will connect my laptop 4 this right nw..will this be ok?)
i m really nt able to decide..
n plz highlight the difference btw a pv80 and a c10/x10..i dnt think i will be buying a replacement ne tym soon..so whatever i buy needs to be reliable..love the lgpq70 bt since i dnt really trust lg m nt tht inclined towards it..
i can spend arnd 45k

It would be best to go in for the maximum screen size affordable in your case. For the 42" Plasma screen size do ensure viewing distance is greater than 8'-9'. Plasma will have a glossy screen but you always have the option of turning off the tubelight while viewing, if it is directly opposite. Not sure about connecting a laptop to a Plasma (how resolution will be affected etc.). Best for you to go thru' the Plasma threads that talk about connecting PCs / Laptops to Plasma v/s LCDs.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back