42" Plasma. Panasonic PV80D or C10D

Yes, I would not recommend leaving out the plasma just because of a tubelight in the room :)
You could always turn it off!

* For Tatasky, 42 plasma at 8ft would look better.
* Gaming has no issues with the PV8. No flicker for PS3/PS2
* I've played movies off the laptop with a VGA connection to the PV8. No issues
* If there is direct light, a LCD screen also reflects enough to be disturbing
* A tube at 90 deg and placed higher should not normally be an issue if viewing any tv head-on

I speak from my personal experience with a Panny 42PV8 and a Sammy FHD 32B530 at home.

Last edited:
thnx a lot ppl..
bought a c10 today got it @36800 with free beneton watch and provogue sun glasses...also got a 3yr warranty...
though whn i wz abtto leave the shop i did notice the x10 had less reflection..bt the price difference was abt 6000...n everything wz finalised so i just went with the c10..i just hope its nt a wrong decision nt to go 4 the x10...
newayz will be delivered in abt an hr..ne1 knows hw to check the service menu?
nd if the x10 is really better than the c10 apart from the ports/avchd etc..do tell me nw..coz maybe i can pay the difference n have the x10 still..plz reply asap!!

hey sidomania ,

Congratulations on your new purchase !! Enjoy it .

I was wondering where you get the tv from as the rate seems real good !!

got it from panasonic showroom in paschim vihar..
regret nt buying the x10..thr is a bit of reflection if its nt completely dark..
bt m really impressed with the pq...even divx videos luk nice...i thought they would luk bad since the screen is so big...bt hd ready does have its benefits..lol!!
tata sky+ through component is also gr8..though the panasonic person tht came for installation told me to buy a better cable..will this really be helpful?
he says the cable(came with tata sky) is the 1 u get 4 rs 40-50...told me to buy a branded one(he said heavy)...

Congratulations Sidomania! on your new purchase...

Less than 37K for a 42" Plasma is excellent I must say!! :)

I am also using TS+ through component using the cable that came along, and I think that the cable is adequate.

Don't know if you'll see that great an improvement is you use branded ($$$) cables. Has anyone tried? Any comments?

If you are getting PV8, buy it, excellent model with proven satisfactory track record posted in the forum by buyers.

C10 is also a good choice though in the 40K budget range.

i guess i wont get the branded component thn...will get a hdmi though..which one do u ppl recommend?
n btw divx through s-video is gr8...will hdmi improve it even further?
or make it worse?
does ne1 kno hw to access the c10's service menu?
read somewhere to hold the v- on the plasma n press 000 with the remote..dint work!

Query to panasonic owners.. The panasonic india website looks like junk with no information.. Can anyone confirm the below?

1) Which of the models have the Anti-Reflective filter? Does it create issue with image quality?

2) Is Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA X1 Series TC-P42X1 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV: Electronics same as the X10? It mentions a host of features like viera tools for icon navigation, AR filter for arresting reflection etc.. Are those available in indian X10?

3) What is the RGB value of the PV/C/X series panels? LG quotes 16 bit and sammy quotes 18 bits but panasonic does not quote anything anywhere? Anybody has any info on this?

Query to panasonic owners.. The panasonic india website looks like junk with no information.. Can anyone confirm the below?

1) Which of the models have the Anti-Reflective filter? Does it create issue with image quality?

2) Is Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA X1 Series TC-P42X1 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV: Electronics same as the X10? It mentions a host of features like viera tools for icon navigation, AR filter for arresting reflection etc.. Are those available in indian X10?

3) What is the RGB value of the PV/C/X series panels? LG quotes 16 bit and sammy quotes 18 bits but panasonic does not quote anything anywhere? Anybody has any info on this?

1 most plasma come with AR filters,it does effect the picture.
2 yes the X1 is similar to the X10,it does have AR filter,but still as of today even the top of the line plasma with AR filters reflect more then a glossy lcd like the ones from samsung,the AR filters can only cut small amount of reflections.
3 no idea about that,we have to go with what companies say.

actually i did ask at a few shops...n did bargain hard..
actually one of my friends went to this panasonic showroom and he bargained a bit and wz quoted 38..bt he said tht he would buy the next day..so i thought tht i would go without him nd thn i asked the best price..i wz also quoted 38..thn i told the guy tht m getting 4 less in the market..so he asked me hw much..i said 35-36..he thn asked me whn do i hv to buy..nd thn i knew i had him!!
he finally gave it for 36.8+the freebies...he wz also offering me a tata sky new mpeg-4 box 4 thousand including installation..bt i already had tata sk+..so i dint want it..
this price wz the vry reason tht i dint get the x10..nt tht i needed the extra hdmi port etc..the anti reflective filter wz the reason i liked the x10..bt 4 a difference of 6k i figured i can adjust my lighting n still save some..
i did check the service menu nd it wz a new piece 4 sure...
i am really happy i bought this plasma instead of the samsung 5 series lcd i wz goin to buy!
the prices at tht showroom are pretty good..ppl in delhi surely should chk it out!

actually i did ask at a few shops...n did bargain hard..
actually one of my friends went to this panasonic showroom and he bargained a bit and wz quoted 38..bt he said tht he would buy the next day..so i thought tht i would go without him nd thn i asked the best price..i wz also quoted 38..thn i told the guy tht m getting 4 less in the market..so he asked me hw much..i said 35-36..he thn asked me whn do i hv to buy..nd thn i knew i had him!!
he finally gave it for 36.8+the freebies...he wz also offering me a tata sky new mpeg-4 box 4 thousand including installation..bt i already had tata sk+..so i dint want it..
this price wz the vry reason tht i dint get the x10..nt tht i needed the extra hdmi port etc..the anti reflective filter wz the reason i liked the x10..bt 4 a difference of 6k i figured i can adjust my lighting n still save some..
i did check the service menu nd it wz a new piece 4 sure...
i am really happy i bought this plasma instead of the samsung 5 series lcd i wz goin to buy!
the prices at tht showroom are pretty good..ppl in delhi surely should chk it out!

X10 has the below more than C10.

1) An Anti-Reflective coating which is useful from the first day till lsat day you use the TV.

2) Mpeg-2 playback - OK to have.

3) AVCHD playback - Now, this is for HD playback. I have seen a lot of mkv to AVCHD converters in the net. If this corresponds to lossless conversion, You have an HD player attached to the TV. People tend to overlook this fact.

4) V Audio Surround - Now if this extends to excellent simulated surround effet through the sound out to external speakers, It IS useful.

Now, If the X10 has all the above features working in the way I have mentioned, It is a good deal. When I was checking out, the difference was 4k and I was game for it.

1 most plasma come with AR filters,it does effect the picture.
2 yes the X1 is similar to the X10,it does have AR filter,but still as of today even the top of the line plasma with AR filters reflect more then a glossy lcd like the ones from samsung,the AR filters can only cut small amount of reflections.
3 no idea about that,we have to go with what companies say.

Anybody has data on the RGB value of the panasonic 720p PDPs, please provide it here.

X10 has the below more than C10.

1) An Anti-Reflective coating which is useful from the first day till lsat day you use the TV.

2) Mpeg-2 playback - OK to have.

3) AVCHD playback - Now, this is for HD playback. I have seen a lot of mkv to AVCHD converters in the net. If this corresponds to lossless conversion, You have an HD player attached to the TV. People tend to overlook this fact.

4) V Audio Surround - Now if this extends to excellent simulated surround effet through the sound out to external speakers, It IS useful.

Now, If the X10 has all the above features working in the way I have mentioned, It is a good deal. When I was checking out, the difference was 4k and I was game for it.

well all those features might be worth the difference bt i usually hookup my laptop to play all videos so nt tht useful to me..newayz it uses the sd card slot 4 tht nd i keep all videos on my external hdd..so again no use!

just the AR filter wz smthn to consider n whn i went to purchase both had reflections just tht in the x10 they were a bit distorted bt very much thr..nd i wz used to watching a crt nd the reflections r less thn tht...apart 4m a direct light falling or light reflecting of sm white surface thr is no problem...thrs this white door opposite to whr the plasma is placed which does reflect sm light..bt if i sit on the othr sofa(at an angle to the plasma)..thrs no reflection..nd newayz whn i watch movies n stuff i alwz turn the lights off...even whn i watch thm in my 15.4' laptop screen..
if the x10 handled reflections vry well thn i might hv considered it..bt ut just showed thm a lil less..so neway the lighting needed to be adjusted..so went 4 the c10 to save sm bucks!
sm1 who would use the sd card slot 4 movies etc. nd has a lot of sunlight coming in tht extra is worth spending..

Checked for the V-guard stabilizers. VG Crystal has 2A rating (Rs 2500) and the v-guard digital stabilizer 100 has 3A rating (Rs 2900).
Should i go for the 3A rating for the PV80D + Philips home theater system + DVD player + Set top box ?
Please advise.

Sid: WOW man how come u got C10 for 36.8 thats almost in the range of a 32 LCD. Is it under exchange or something?
K

PV8 was available for Rs. 39K at a Panasonic brand shop in Delhi yesterday on 19th Dec '09. A friend of mine settled for S10 for 51K. I noticed resolution of S10 much better then G10, I don't know why. rest of the things like color saturation, black levels etc. were quite similar in all models displayed, including PV series.

Back