42ST30 Impressions.

Thats loads of info Thanks :) I'm interested in P42ST30D.

The brandshop at koramangala is promoting GT series instead of ST - is it worth buying GT instead of ST at the same priceline? Their contention is GT is fully made in Japan whereas ST in Thailand and for some reason they believe GT are superior to ST. At least from what's specified in the website, only ST has Neo plasma so I would assume its better. Also the specs doesn't list THX - is that the case?

Im not sure if GT20 is superior to ST30. GT20 however, has THX mode and ISF modes, which ST30 lacks.
But GT30 has floating blacks (and ST30 has fluctuating brightness, which I believe is not as bad as floating blacks, also fixed in latest batch of panasonics).

Atleast Panasonic is considering ST to be one step below VT as far as Panasonic India is concerned. They have not yet launched GT30 in India, but as far as I know ST30, GT30, VT30 all have the same panel, but different driving electronics and different features. (Sort of like various variants of the same car, which has same engine, but different features.).

Thanks. One correction in my updates - checked out full specs for both GT20 and ST30 - both of them have New plasma panel - version has changed. Both doesn't seem to have THX as per full spec in the website.

I will wait for ST30 to be available to check out in the showroom - probably the new batch should have the fix included.

neopdp panel, yes.
GT20 has 2010 Model neopdp panel.
xx30 series has 2011 model neopdp panel

Think of it as different versions of the neoPdp panel. 2011, however has and improved 3d driving mechanism, which reduces the crosstalk to a great extend. The filter is also brand new, and improved, as per Panasonic. There are other changes too. Check panasonic global website to understand this better.

GT20 is supposed to have THX mode ( Panasonic GT25 / GT20 review - FlatpanelsHD ) Im not sure if we do have this, since Panasonic Models in India have slightly different configuration from rest of the world.

Thanks. One correction in my updates - checked out full specs for both GT20 and ST30 - both of them have New plasma panel - version has changed. Both doesn't seem to have THX as per full spec in the website.

I will wait for ST30 to be available to check out in the showroom - probably the new batch should have the fix included.

correct me if 'm wrong but i guess the 2010 models could not do 2D to 3D conversion which the 2011 models can do.

Please tell the procedure to check the Time for how long ST30 has been switched on, I mean the way to check usage hours in service menu ?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I think I have all the answers now except one. Now I have to decide on the size.. to go for 50" or 42". My viewing distance is typical 8-9 feet. Which model would you suggest for SD and HD signals. I have seen opposite views on this issue in this site!

Panasonic India ( if I am not wrong any Panasonic site) is not placing User Manuals in the Support section( Download) of the web site. Are they telling any bad news in the User Manual that might act as a deterrent to the potential sales? Now that you have MADE a purchase, they can tell anything in the manual even if it is not to your liking!

By the way can anyone post the link from where I can download User Manuals of Panasonic Plasma TVs!

Thanks
Vijjy

Sorry, I do not know how to check the usage hours. Really do not care. I was sure that I got a brand new Unit :) ( There are other ways, check the stick thread under "Television" Section).

I sit at about 8 feet. In my opinion 42 is just perfect since it will give you reasonable SD content with Good HD. However, if your are all out HD 50 inch or more is highly recommended.. :)

Thank you for clarifying all (yes, some of them are silly) the doubts. Thank you sunshine vsk for doing quite an R&D and finally finding out the site that offers the manuals. But don't you think it looks queer on the part of Panasonic to miss this support feature in their websites?

Thank you

Vijjy

You are expecting toomuch from panny guys, forget the support the site does not even list out the complete features , specs and damn prices...:mad:

Panasonic India website is not upto the mark. But, atleast their TV's are good :D
As far as Specs go, I thought they are pretty complete, what did they miss?

Am I the only owner of ST30 At the moment. I see a lot of people planning/considering. But I'm yet to see a single purchase of this TV so far in this forum.

Checked out Sucker Punch on this TV. The movie is far below expectations (which was already low, after reading reviews). But the movie looked amazing on ST30. Colors, sharpness etc was good. The movie had way too much of Film grain, but it blends in well the style of movie they were aiming at. Purely from a PQ perspective it was a treat to watch.

Cant wait to watch Watchmen and Sincity on this TV, should be a treat :)

Last edited:
allajunaki,

Infact i was supposed to have my 50'ST30 by now, it was billed for 98k on saturday but the order was cancelled due to a complaint made by vasanth & co.

Vasanth & co had offered me 1,02,500 but since i got a better offer for 98k i booked the TV in another showroom. Unfortunately vasanth & co. came to know abt this and they had placed a complaint with Panasonic Chennai head office and my dealer was forced to cancel my order and i was given a full refund.

Now the dealer can offer me only for Rs. 1,02,500 as all his future transactions will be monitored by panasonic, chennai.

Last edited:
wait for few months , these prices will drop like a stone
from high up in the sky ! as it had happend to 2010 models
once they introduced new models

allajunaki,

Infact i was supposed to have my 50'ST30 by now, it was billed for 98k on saturday but the order was cancelled due to a complaint made by vasanth & co.

Vasanth & co had offered me 1,02,500 but since i got a better offer for 98k i booked the TV in another showroom. Unfortunately vasanth & co. came to know abt this and they had placed a complaint with Panasonic Chennai head office and my dealer was forced to cancel my order and i was given a full refund.

Now the dealer has can offer me only for Rs. 1,02,500 as all his future transactions will be monitored by panasonic, chennai.

wait for few months , these prices will drop like a stone
from high up in the sky ! as it had happend to 2010 models
once they introduced new models

Wait for a few more months, and then the newer better model's prices will also crash.
That is the fact of life. All we can do is buy what is good at that point.

If you wait out on ST30, for newer model. then features of newer model will tempt you, and so on and so forth. There will be no end to this :)

Also, ST30 has been launched only 2 months back. Upgrades to the current line up will take another 8-10 months.

allajunaki,

Now the dealer has can offer me only for Rs. 1,02,500 as all his future transactions will be monitored by panasonic, chennai.

This is quite sad to hear. So are you planning to buy at the 1.2L price level? What he can do is to offer you some extras worth 4.5k which can be billed separately. That way, it will be a win-win for both. Im not too sure if they can do that though. Maybe offer you an extra pair of 3d glasses or wifi adaptor or even a pair of HDMI Connectors.

One other news i heard from panasonic guys, only 65VT30 will be available India which leaves out ST30 as the premier model for 42' and 50' segment. Hence ST30 price may not come down much....

allajunaki,

The dealer felt very sorry when he returned the cash and he offered me a gift (not sure what was inside) when i left the showroom. yesterday the dealer called me and said he will offer me 50ST30 for Rs.1,03,000 with a free wifi dongle and a 250mg gold coin as a gift. If im interested he has asked me to come anytime and get it billed.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back