4K Blu Ray Player

chandu2106

Experts,

Please help me in buying in 4K wifi blu ray player.
I've shortlisted following , Panasonic BDT380GA (13K INR) and Pioneer BDP-180(19k INR)
Both are having similar features. My requirement ...watching HD Movies in various formats like MKV,MP4 (size 7GB above)...n listening to high quality audio, watching videos on YouTube.
Please help me which is the best.Btw I've to connect to AV receiver.

Thanks.

Hi Chandu, these are 4K upscaling players and not true 4K Player. You have to see Oppo 203, or Panasonic UMP models for true 4K, but not sure about availability here. But if you have only 1080p to watch Pioneer is good. Check out some places, as I feel 19K is high. I have seen it for 16 to 17 k also.

Thank you both.

I agree..these are 4K upscale players.Anyhow I've 1080p TV to watch, I'm targeting for the player should play mainly MKV,MP4 formats as well WIFI enabled one. Yes Pioneer now 17K on Amazon india. Need to wait for UHD TV(with HDR10 /DolbyVision) prices to be come donw, as it is entered into market recent days and the technology going to be stay long & No original/native (HDR) content available.

Awesome 3K less, where can we get in Bangalore??? Enquired in Panasonic showroom , they said in store supply stopped 2yrs ago.

Awesome 3K less, where can we get in Bangalore??? Enquired in Panasonic showroom , they said in store supply stopped 2yrs ago.

that's right they have stopped sourcing Panasonic players, you can try your luck in grey market esply chennai. You will should get it at good price. however will have to take a chance as no bill/warranty.

Add a Oppo UDP 203 to the mix. I know it is about $550 in the US, however you will be a little future proof.

Vinod

Yes. The Opp Digital address mentioned on the Oppo India website is just 5 mins drive from my home and I happened to visit them around 15 days back on a Saturday.

They have UDP-203 in stock costing 75k. I did take demo of it as well, but was not very much impressed, I think becuase they were projecting a 4K UHD movie over a BENQ projector which was only capable of 1080p and was not supporting 4K. But overall I found it to be good. I may still need to look with an end-to-end 4K devices to experience real 4K capabilities of the Oppo (I actually felt my home TV was reproducing better colors than this, which I am sure it has to do with the projector and not the Oppo player). Btw, I saw some scenes from Mad Max Fury Road 4K DVD. Price may be negotiable if one goes to buy it, but not sure.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Yes. The Opp Digital address mentioned on the Oppo India website is just 5 mins drive from my home and I happened to visit them around 15 days back on a Saturday.

They have UDP-203 in stock costing 75k. I did take demo of it as well, but was not very much impressed, I think becuase they were projecting a 4K UHD movie over a BENQ projector which was only capable of 1080p and was not supporting 4K. But overall I found it to be good. I may still need to look with an end-to-end 4K devices to experience real 4K capabilities of the Oppo (I actually felt my home TV was reproducing better colors than this, which I am sure it has to do with the projector and not the Oppo player). Btw, I saw some scenes from Mad Max Fury Road 4K DVD. Price may be negotiable if one goes to buy it, but not sure.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

That's a sad way to demonstrate a 4K player! Otherwise this is supposed to be a stunning player! Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player review | What Hi-Fi?

Yes, I completely agree!

I mean I have a 4K UHD TV and not a true 4K bluray player, but an upscaling one, which as everyone has rightly said that it cannot be compared with a true 4K player and it displayed much better colors. I purposefully saw the same movie and same shots immediately again after I came home (probably within 15-20 mins).

I don't know, but maybe I had very high hopes from the player before I saw the picture. But I guess it would be worth to take another look. But had really not expected from a company like Oppo to market their top of the line player in such a bad way....

Regards,

Pushkaraj

I recently bought Panasonic BDT380GA around 10k in chennai local store, which is good.

DMP-BDT380 Blu-ray Disc Player - Panasonic Malaysia

Hi Sounds good, did you check playing blu-ray discs, is it region free?, seen some reviews on pioneer BDP-180 saying its very slow in loading discs and even reading files when connected through external Hard Disk and some reviews say even its 4k up-scaling is not great, please help me about your experience with Panasonic BDT380.

will the Pioneer, Sony 4k Blu Ray disc player sold on Ebay India play the blu ray discs purchased from Amazon India. Most players are marked as region A. Have anyone purchased from ebay & working fine?

will the Pioneer, Sony 4k Blu Ray disc player sold on Ebay India play the blu ray discs purchased from Amazon India. Most players are marked as region A. Have anyone purchased from ebay & working fine?

Region A is America and SE Asia and can not play other region coded blurays. But most of the blurays sold in Amazon india is region free and it can be played. Some blurays are region coded to C which you won't be able to play in region A player.

sorry for being naive, if I have a 4k super UHD TV which automatically up-scales the media thrown at it, say 1080p to 4k, so do i still need a 4k blu ray/media player? or a normal blu-ray player will do? where exactly is the up-scaling processing happening?

sorry for being naive, if I have a 4k super UHD TV which automatically up-scales the media thrown at it, say 1080p to 4k, so do i still need a 4k blu ray/media player? or a normal blu-ray player will do? where exactly is the up-scaling processing happening?
You need 4k BD player only if you intend to play 4k BluRay discs. A 1080p BD player may not play 4k discs.

Back