4k passthrough and HDCP 2.2

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

What is the difference between the two?

I want to upgrade my AVR. My current marantz has 4k passthrough. However all the newer models of AVRs now come with HDCP 2.2.

Reason for asking. As and when we get 4k content, say for example my source is Amazon prime or Netflix or even Tatasky, and they get 4k movies, will I be able to watch them in 4k on a non HDCP 2.2 AVR?

I think HDCP 2.2 is a hardware upgrade isn't it?

Most new AVR also have features like Dolby vision and HDR that will/can be upgraded by a future software update.

So is it worth buying a non HDCP 2.2 AVR in today's time? Does it matter? Thanks.

I want to upgrade my AVR. My current marantz has 4k passthrough. However all the newer models of AVRs now come with HDCP 2.2.

Reason for asking. As and when we get 4k content, say for example my source is Amazon prime or Netflix or even Tatasky, and they get 4k movies, will I be able to watch them in 4k on a non HDCP 2.2 AVR?

Most new AVR also have features like Dolby vision and HDR that will/can be upgraded by a future software update.

So is it worth buying a non HDCP 2.2 AVR in today's time? Does it matter? Thanks.
Imo ,every year one after other there is an upgrade in sw and hardware.There is no future proof i would say.
Yeah may be for a while

If that upgrade really needed for you for immediate /current usage pull the trigger

I have no idea on 4K content & HDCP 2.2.. But, for 4K passthrough, there should be no worries as most modern AVR is capable of that..

With HDCP 2.2 it says, for the function to work, all the devices must be HDCP 2.2 compliant.. Your TV, AVR, BR player, everything in the chain.. It is more of protecting the content (video from being pirated)..

Yes.. HDCP2.2 seems to be hardware & not something than can be done with firmware..

Is your 4K TV HDCP 2.2 complaint?

Thanks rocket and elango.

Ok so yes my TV is HDCP 2.2 compliant since it's a new LG which I bought a couple of months back.

What exactly is 4k passthrough?

And if Netflix/Amazon prime has 4k content, will a AVR without HDCP 2.2 be able to play it? Example... My TV is HDCP butmy AVR is not. So will I be able to see 4k movies on Netflix etc?

Ok so yes my TV is HDCP 2.2 compliant since it's a new LG which I bought a couple of months back.

What exactly is 4k passthrough?

And if Netflix/Amazon prime has 4k content, will a AVR without HDCP 2.2 be able to play it? Example... My TV is HDCP butmy AVR is not. So will I be able to see 4k movies on Netflix etc?

I'm in the same boat as you. Even my avr isn't a 2.2 complaint nor has HDR passthrough. As your TV is HDCP 2.2 complaint you will be able to play any 4K as well as 4K HDR content which is directly played from the TV apps, like amazon and netflix. Audio DD or DD+5.1 will be routed through the ARC HDMI port to the avr.

If you are connecting a device like PC, Media box, etc which is HDCP 2.2 complaint connected to AVR and then to TV, the passthrough here will not work as the avr is non HDCP 2.2. The complete chain has to be in the same compliance. Whereas, device connected directly to TV removes the avr from the chain and only the audio is output through the ARC port. Only downside here is the compressed audio as the TV ARC port does not support Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD-MA.

So, I do not think it is necessary to upgrade your avr. If you want to include a 4k blu-ray player or any device (HDCP 2.2) in the chain then surely it needs an upgrade. Hope this helps.

Yes without HDCP 2.2 in ALL components of chain, amazon prime will play in SD, not even HD (personal experience), leave alone 4k. Netflix plays in full HD however. Can't say about its 4k as I don't have 4k TV

Ok so let me see if I got this.

1.My tv is HDCP compliant.
2. My AVR is not compliant.
3. Let’s assume we have 4K content on Tatasky and Netflix and amazon.
4. Forget a 4K HDCP Blu-ray player.
5. I have an nvidia shield which I use to watch Netflix and amazon.
6. I’m not going to buy a HDCP Blueray player.

All I want to do is watch Netflix and Tatasky in 4K when it comes out. What should I do? Buy a new HDcp compliant AVR?

All I want to do is watch Netflix and Tatasky in 4K when it comes out. What should I do? Buy a new HDcp compliant AVR?

If your Nvidia Shield is attached to the AVR then yes you need a new avr with hdcp 2.2.

Just attach your Tata sky and nvidia shield to the HDMI ports on the tv and let the audio from the arc port from tv to avr. You will be able to watch 4k as well as 4k HDR content. Netflix, Amazon and other apps if watching directly from tv will have 4k and hdr out of the box.

If there is no need for a blu ray player then there is absolutely no need for you to go for an upgrade. You are good to go with your existing Marantz avr.

Looks like I’ll be buying a new AVR very soon. Thanks for all your inputs.

Attaching sources directly to the tv is something I don’t want to do. Pain in the ass that.

Very seriously considering the marantz slimline NR 1608. The latest in the NR series. Since all I need is video processing.

Very seriously considering the marantz slimline NR 1608. The latest in the NR series. Since all I need is video processing.

Marantz SR6009 (Audyssey Multi EQ XT) to Marantz NR 1608 (Audyssey Multi EQ) is downgrade w.r.t Audysssey set-up.. I understand, you must have thought abt pre-outs on NR 1608 to take advantage of your new 2 channel power amplifier, latest video & audio processing features..

You must at-least look at Marantz SR 5012 to get (Audyssey Multi EQ XT) to get the same level of performance as your present AVR with all the necessary features (or) look at Denon x 3300 / x 3400 (Audyssey Multi EQ XT32), which has 7.2 pre-outs and is also a step-up from Marantz SR 6009 / SR 5012 / NR1608 performance..

I would suggest you try this if you have access to 4K BR Rips..

You already have Nvidia shield.. Connect it to AVR -> to your 4K TV HDMI input..Download a 4K movie, may be a big file, play it from your Nvidia shield using Kodi media player.. If you get video, then your doubt is solved w.r.t HDCP2.2 :)..

You already have Nvidia shield.. Connect it to AVR -> to your 4K TV HDMI input..Download a 4K movie, may be a big file, play it from your Nvidia shield using Kodi media player.. If you get video, then your doubt is solved w.r.t HDCP2.2 :)..

For rips, HDCP not required. it's already pirated.;)
Need to put a fire tv stick and see.

In Short, if you are buying something and foresee usage of 4k content, make sure its HDCP2.2 compliant. Its a protocol of Keys and Handshakes between Source and Destination to allow the Video to go through. Cannot say it any simpler.

Now to your questions:
1. 4k Pass through receiver with no HDCP2.2 compliance will pass-through a Non Encrypted 4k Content. An Encrypted 4K content will need each and every device the Video passes through to be compliant.

2. In a word, Yes. 4k will catch up very soon this year or next. So it all depends how prepared you want to be.

Aren't the NR series cute? I was going to suggest you this one in the last conversation we had, however, the options you had were in a different league, so kept quite :).

MaSh

Any and all experiments will be done after 5 days now. I'm in Singapore on a holiday and wife will confiscate my phone shortly :D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back