5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Setup. Need expert suggestions.

arjunbabu

Dear Experts,

After quite a research, I've shortlisted the components I need for my 5.1.2 setup. I'd really appreciate your expert thoughts and suggestions.

1. Denon AVR X1400H - 43K on amazon
2. Polk Signature S20 (Front L-R) - 23K on amazon
3. Polk Signature S35 (Centre) - 23K on amazon
4. Polk Signature S10 (Satellites) - 16.5K on amazon
5. Polk PSW 125 Sub - 26K on Amazon

The above components adds up to about 1.32 lakh. My previous budget was 1 lakh. But I've decided to shift it up a notch to 1.5 lakh for the Dolby Atmos. Now I need 2 ceiling speakers. Do I need Dolby enabled speakers for this or just any speaker will do? What do you recommend. I'd also need your thoughts on the components listed above.

Thanks and regards,
Arjun

In general you should be able to get better discounts if you get these from the dealers as Amazon prices for audio equipments are a bit higher. Secondly for Atmos config you can go for any speakers as long as they can be mounted on the ceiling. The atmos enabled speakers are usually a gimmick that works by reflecting sound from the ceiling and if you end up treating the ceiling with acoustics you won't really get the effect anyways. In my case, I have simply hooked a couple of Polk satellites to the ceiling in a top middle config and they seem to work well for a 200 SQFT dedicated room. The panning works really well. If you want, I can post some pictures of the setup.

For your same budget I would advise you try/ go for Q Acoustics 3000 series which will be significantly better and offers tremendous value for money. They really shine in a stereo setup and works obviously well in HT too. Again for the Sub you can look at a Wharfedale D10 which will be better than the Polk you are looking at or even a used Sub which can give you a better bang for the buck.

No warranty for products purchased through Amazon, eBay. So decide on where you purchase from. Buying from online retail is like buying from Grey market.

True that. When I was in the market for new AVR, the grey market guys told this to me too with utter confidence. Yes you might as well buy it from the grey market and it is as good as getting it from abroad where you risk the warranty in a means to save money.

In general you should be able to get better discounts if you get these from the dealers as Amazon prices for audio equipments are a bit higher. Secondly for Atmos config you can go for any speakers as long as they can be mounted on the ceiling. The atmos enabled speakers are usually a gimmick that works by reflecting sound from the ceiling and if you end up treating the ceiling with acoustics you won't really get the effect anyways. In my case, I have simply hooked a couple of Polk satellites to the ceiling in a top middle config and they seem to work well for a 200 SQFT dedicated room. The panning works really well. If you want, I can post some pictures of the setup.

For your same budget I would advise you try/ go for Q Acoustics 3000 series which will be significantly better and offers tremendous value for money. They really shine in a stereo setup and works obviously well in HT too. Again for the Sub you can look at a Wharfedale D10 which will be better than the Polk you are looking at or even a used Sub which can give you a better bang for the buck.

I'll look these components up. I'd love to see your setup. My room is 13x11. Considering the room dimensions, do you have any more advice to give? Thanks for all the help. I'm a noobie :)

Hi dude..where r u from...?I think system audio onwall speakers will suit ur budget. U may please contact cinema Focus chennai who is the authorised dealers. U can also try a mix and match with the earthquake bipolar speakers for surround speakers. These guys offer decent discounts if im not wrong. All the best.

Yes I will post some picture of the setup tomorrow. I imagine your room is a bedroom sized room looking at the dimensions and in your case a good set of satellites and a sub would work well and infact will do wonders. I wouldn't recommend over powering speakers for your room size as you would end up not enjoying the sound experience. Do you have any obstructions or is it one clean 13 X 11 sized room ?

Hi arjunbabu...

For a 11x13ft room the above suggested qacoustics q3000 package will be great. Or even the q7000i that I presently have. At all costs, avoid the temptation of floor standers. Best would be sat+sub system or at max a bookshelf+sub system.

If you are looking for satalite subwoofer system then consider Definitive Technology ProCinema 800 or 1000. May be little expensive but excellent performance in HT mode. Build quality, Sound quality, and subwoofer at par with that similarly priced bookshelf/subwoofer system. You will get the flexibility of wall mount. In future if you upgrade the front speakers to floor standing speakers then existing speakers can be a great option as surround.

The above components adds up to about 1.32 lakh. My previous budget was 1 lakh. But I've decided to shift it up a notch to 1.5 lakh for the Dolby Atmos. Now I need 2 ceiling speakers. Do I need Dolby enabled speakers for this or just any speaker will do? What do you recommend. I'd also need your thoughts on the components listed above.

Your choices of speakers are already good.. if you have a room with false ceiling, you may want to consider any in-ceiling speaker as it is easier to install.. If you don't have false ceiling, S10 makes a good choice.. Just make sure these speakers have mount thread (Small hole) behind speakers to mount them using external speaker brackets..

Hi arjunbabu...

For a 11x13ft room the above suggested qacoustics q3000 package will be great. Or even the q7000i that I presently have. At all costs, avoid the temptation of floor standers. Best would be sat+sub system or at max a bookshelf+sub system.

Second that!

Dear Experts,

After quite a research, I've shortlisted the components I need for my 5.1.2 setup. I'd really appreciate your expert thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
Arjun
Hi Arjun,

I have the following setup.

Denon AVR2400
FL FR - CS 260 II Floorstanding Loudspeaker.
SL SR - CS 26 II
Center - A 225C Center Channel Loudspeaker
Atmos: BIC AMERICA DV-32B
2 SUB Woofers: BIC America F12
TV : OLED LG 55"

I am having this setup in my living room and not a dedicated HT room. Using mostly to watch movies (4k) and TV. Speaker cost 1.10 L

I am quite satisfied with this setup.
Cheers.

Hi Arjun,

I have the following setup.

Denon AVR2400
FL FR - CS 260 II Floorstanding Loudspeaker.
SL SR - CS 26 II
Center - A 225C Center Channel Loudspeaker
Atmos: BIC AMERICA DV-32B
2 SUB Woofers: BIC America F12
TV : OLED LG 55"

I am having this setup in my living room and not a dedicated HT room. Using mostly to watch movies (4k) and TV. Speaker cost 1.10 L

I am quite satisfied with this setup.
Cheers.

Hi Rainbowsong,

Was that price inclusive of the AVR? How much did you pay for them individually? Did you audition any other combinations before making the purchase. Do you think floor standers are better than bookies?

Cheers,
Arjun

Hi Vj_box,

Thanks for sharing your av room pics. Looks amazing. How well does that sound proofing setup work? Apart from the foam, what material have you used on the wall and the floor? Also where did you buy those sound absorbing foams?

Cheers,
Arjun

The difference in sound quality, stereo imaging, bass response all have phenomenally improved like day and night. Our earlier setup sounded super dull and the echo/slap backs were very annoying. As soon as we treated the corners, walls and ceiling our very own voices were very clear since it cut down the echos and reflections. We are yet to hook another pair of traps at the back wall and some diffusion behind speakers. But even as of now, the sound quality puts a smile on all our faces.

We have used Diffusers and absorbers on the side walls. For the ceiling we have used absorbers for the first reflection points and directly above the seating position. All corners have 2X2 Feet Bass traps which seem to work more like a broadband absorption and has tamed the Bass well enough.

The Acoustics panels are from Aural Exchange. As far as I have researched these are the only guys who do quality sound panels that are ready to use. Their material quality and machine cuts are super precise and they offer decent discounts when you buy in bulk. You can talk to Ashutosh and he is well learned guy in sound acoustics and proofing.

Hi Rainbowsong,

Was that price inclusive of the AVR? How much did you pay for them individually? Did you audition any other combinations before making the purchase. Do you think floor standers are better than bookies?

Cheers,
Arjun
Hi Arjun,

The AVR I bought in europe for around 56k inr
Hi Rainbowsong,

Cheers,
Arjun
Hi Arjun,

I bought the AV Receiver in Europe for 699 CHF (48 K INR)
and Speakers i bought in Chennai for 1.10 lakh for a pack 5.2.2 speakers mentioned above. I auditioned Elac, Polk T and S series and finally did the Boston Acoustics audition, it was good for my ears :)

Thanks.

Cheers,

The difference in sound quality, stereo imaging, bass response all have phenomenally improved like day and night. Our earlier setup sounded super dull and the echo/slap backs were very annoying. As soon as we treated the corners, walls and ceiling our very own voices were very clear since it cut down the echos and reflections. We are yet to hook another pair of traps at the back wall and some diffusion behind speakers. But even as of now, the sound quality puts a smile on all our faces.

We have used Diffusers and absorbers on the side walls. For the ceiling we have used absorbers for the first reflection points and directly above the seating position. All corners have 2X2 Feet Bass traps which seem to work more like a broadband absorption and has tamed the Bass well enough.

The Acoustics panels are from Aural Exchange. As far as I have researched these are the only guys who do quality sound panels that are ready to use. Their material quality and machine cuts are super precise and they offer decent discounts when you buy in bulk. You can talk to Ashutosh and he is well learned guy in sound acoustics and proofing.

Thanks for your super informative post

Hi Arjun,

The AVR I bought in europe for around 56k inr

Hi Arjun,

I bought the AV Receiver in Europe for 699 CHF (48 K INR)
and Speakers i bought in Chennai for 1.10 lakh for a pack 5.2.2 speakers mentioned above. I auditioned Elac, Polk T and S series and finally did the Boston Acoustics audition, it was good for my ears :)

Thanks.

Cheers,

Hi Rainbowsong,

May I know from where you purchased your speakers in Chennai ? I would like to take a look as well.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back