5.1/5.1.2 system for Bedroom

ak47

I am looking to buy a complete 5.1/5.1.2 setup for my bedroom. The dimensions of my room are 15' * 14' in which 15' is the distance between the bed backboard and the setup. My budget for the speakers and avr is around 60k. I am not crazy for Dolby Atmos and can add those two extra speakers later if this budget is getting stretched thin. My movie:music listening ratio would be 80:20. I would prefer floorstanders if the budget permits. Apart from my tatasky and playstation, I also plan to attach my HTPC so it would be great if the avr has 6ch input. Please help me out guys!!

My budget for the speakers and avr is around 60k. I am not crazy for Dolby Atmos and can add those two extra speakers later if this budget is getting stretched thin. My movie:music listening ratio would be 80:20.

I do recollect a FM, mention abt Denon x 1400 for 40K.. So please check availability/pricing in your city..

I would prefer floorstanders if the budget permits.

Ideally a sub would be better.. But since it a bedroom, guess you are looking for FS..

Taga TAV 506, 5.0 speaker for 18K - https://www.amazon.in/Taga-Harmony-...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532013487&sr=8-2&keywords=Taga

For slightly more (65K), you should be able to begin AVR + 5.0.. You can add those ceiling speaker, when you can..

I also plan to attach my HTPC so it would be great if the avr has 6ch input.

HTPC via HDMI to AVR is the easiest & best output for playback of digital media.. A not so expensive graphics card can do the job of bit-stream.. But for the same money that you would spend on graphics card, you get Android TV box with HDMI output (3K), easier for movie playback..

Why do you want to take 6 CH input ? Am not so sure, but it may not support Atmos..

I do recollect a FM, mention abt Denon x 1400 for 40K.. So please check availability/pricing in your city..

Ideally a sub would be better.. But since it a bedroom, guess you are looking for FS..

Taga TAV 506, 5.0 speaker for 18K - https://www.amazon.in/Taga-Harmony-...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532013487&sr=8-2&keywords=Taga

For slightly more (65K), you should be able to begin AVR + 5.0.. You can add those ceiling speaker, when you can..

Thanks a lot for you reply :)

I can go for bookshelf speakers as well. If I were to compare Floorstanders vs Bookshelf+Sub, which would be better in a bed room setting?

Can I go for a cheaper avr than the Denon 1400 or is it the minimum required for the Taga speaker package?

HTPC via HDMI to AVR is the easiest & best output for playback of digital media.. A not so expensive graphics card can do the job of bit-stream.. But for the same money that you would spend on graphics card, you get Android TV box with HDMI output (3K), easier for movie playback..

Why do you want to take 6 CH input ? Am not so sure, but it may not support Atmos..

Point taken. I wanted to keep using my XONAR DG because I love the sound I get from it but I guess an HDMI connection will work well for the HTPC as well.

If I were to compare Floorstanders vs Bookshelf+Sub, which would be better in a bed room setting?

When you will use the subs for lows, there isn't a need for FS.. But, it would be hard to find other 5.0 BS speaker packages less then the price of TAV 506 for 18K.. Until you add the sub, the FS can do a decent job..

Can I go for a cheaper avr than the Denon 1400 or is it the minimum required for the Taga speaker package?

Most other 5.1.2 capable AVR should be around the same price as Denon x 1400.. If you would get a better deal on any 5.1.2 AVR for less than Denon x 1400, you can settle for one..

For ceiling speakers, pick any full range HTIB satellite speaker (2K) with mount threads, so you can mount them on ceiling.. Most inexpensive way of adding ceiling speaker.. If you like it ;)

I have the Denon 1400 with Elac Cinema 5.1 (satellites + sub) in my bedroom. Quite happy with the performance for movies & tv shows. Music in Neural X / Matrix mode sounds great. Not in 2ch Stereo. I wanted something with a small footprint and found Elac the best.

I had demoed the Wharfedale DS 5.1 package and that sounded great as well.

Maybe use an entry level Yamaha / Poineer AVR (25K on Hfimart etc) and spend an a good speaker package ?

I use a Nvidia Shield for the digital playback but any decent Android box like cubetek will work great.

Floorstanders in bedroom may spoil the asthetics ? It's of course a personal choice....
Another option can be to wall mount bookshelves if you need bigger speakers.

Thank you for the replies :)

When you will use the subs for lows, there isn't a need for FS.. But, it would be hard to find other 5.0 BS speaker packages less then the price of TAV 506 for 18K.. Until you add the sub, the FS can do a decent job..

Most other 5.1.2 capable AVR should be around the same price as Denon x 1400.. If you would get a better deal on any 5.1.2 AVR for less than Denon x 1400, you can settle for one..

For ceiling speakers, pick any full range HTIB satellite speaker (2K) with mount threads, so you can mount them on ceiling.. Most inexpensive way of adding ceiling speaker.. If you like it ;)

I think my budget is getting stretched a bit because of the receiver. If I let go of Dolby Atmos feature, will an avr like Marantz 1508 or Denon X540BT be sufficient for Taga TAV-506? I can use the money I save to add a sub later on.

I have the Denon 1400 with Elac Cinema 5.1 (satellites + sub) in my bedroom. Quite happy with the performance for movies & tv shows. Music in Neural X / Matrix mode sounds great. Not in 2ch Stereo. I wanted something with a small footprint and found Elac the best.

I had demoed the Wharfedale DS 5.1 package and that sounded great as well.

Maybe use an entry level Yamaha / Poineer AVR (25K on Hfimart etc) and spend an a good speaker package ?

I use a Nvidia Shield for the digital playback but any decent Android box like cubetek will work great.

Floorstanders in bedroom may spoil the asthetics ? It's of course a personal choice....
Another option can be to wall mount bookshelves if you need bigger speakers.

I am not concerned with aesthetics a lot as I am making a new room so I can get my media unit custom made to improve aesthetics even with the floorstanders. I can go for satellites as well. There is an option to go for the JBL Cinema 510 package (Offered to me at around 55k with Harmon Kardon entry level avr). Are there any good speaker packages under 30k which include 5 speakers (can be satellites) and a sub?

Thank you for the replies :)

I think my budget is getting stretched a bit because of the receiver. If I let go of Dolby Atmos feature, will an avr like Marantz 1508 or Denon X540BT be sufficient for Taga TAV-506? I can use the money I save to add a sub later on.

I am not concerned with aesthetics a lot as I am making a new room so I can get my media unit custom made to improve aesthetics even with the floorstanders. I can go for satellites as well. There is an option to go for the JBL Cinema 510 package (Offered to me at around 55k with Harmon Kardon entry level avr). Are there any good speaker packages under 30k which include 5 speakers (can be satellites) and a sub?

There are lot of packages on hifimart. It's best you demo before buying.
Taga (not checked by me), Wharfedale (warm) / Polk 5.1 (bright) entry level packages were great sounding.
No real use of Atmos / DTSX in bedroom. So select AVR accordingly.

If you are re-considering 5.1 AVR, what would be your total budget for the set-up?..

No real use of Atmos / DTSX in bedroom.

:oops: Why would you say that?..

There are lot of packages on hifimart. It's best you demo before buying.
Taga (not checked by me), Wharfedale (warm) / Polk 5.1 (bright) entry level packages were great sounding.
No real use of Atmos / DTSX in bedroom. So select AVR accordingly.

I would look at options. Thank you for your help :)

If you are re-considering 5.1 AVR, what would be your total budget for the set-up?..

I am looking at 50-60k for all 5 speakers, sub and avr.

There is an option to go for the JBL Cinema 510 package (Offered to me at around 55k with Harmon Kardon entry level avr).

The JBL Cinema 510 looks to be a full range speakers & a powered 6.5 inch subwoofer driver.. Skip that speaker package.. As for HK entry level AVR, which model was packaged part of the deal?..

Are there any good speaker packages under 30k which include 5 speakers (can be satellites) and a sub?

IMO, any 2-way speaker system combined as a speaker package is good buy than the HTIB speakers.. Also in most 5.1 speaker package, a sub woofer driver is mostly 8 / 10 inch driver..

I am looking at 50-60k for all 5 speakers, sub and avr.

For this budget, here are two options you can consider..

Option 1 - If you can add a subwoofer later, you can pick Denon x 1400 + Taga TAV 5.0 speakers + JBL control one for heights and can complete 5.0.2 set-up now in your 60K budget.. You can look for used subs that can bring down the additional cost at a later stage.. This way you complete a worthy 5.1.2 over time..

Option 2 - If you decide to settle to 5.1 set-up, then consider any 5.1 AVR and the above speaker package Taga TAV 5.0 + Taga subwoofer TSW 120/200 series..

Since it's a bedroom HT for casual viewing and it would open options in entry level AVRs to come close to his budget. Anyway it's a personal preference.

The JBL Cinema 510 looks to be a full range speakers & a powered 6.5 inch subwoofer driver.. Skip that speaker package.. As for HK entry level AVR, which model was packaged part of the deal?..

IMO, any 2-way speaker system combined as a speaker package is good buy than the HTIB speakers.. Also in most 5.1 speaker package, a sub woofer driver is mostly 8 / 10 inch driver..

For this budget, here are two options you can consider..

Option 1 - If you can add a subwoofer later, you can pick Denon x 1400 + Taga TAV 5.0 speakers + JBL control one for heights and can complete 5.0.2 set-up now in your 60K budget.. You can look for used subs that can bring down the additional cost at a later stage.. This way you complete a worthy 5.1.2 over time..

Option 2 - If you decide to settle to 5.1 set-up, then consider any 5.1 AVR and the above speaker package Taga TAV 5.0 + Taga subwoofer TSW 120/200 series..

Which Avr would you suggest if I go for option 2?

Hi

Since you already have experience with Denon & HK....you can look at Marantz or Yamaha.....

HifiMart is selling the NR1508 for 34k....good deal.....

Pick the speakers from HT Store then....JBL 610 or you can choose other options....

https://htstore.in/index.php?route=product/product&path=165&product_id=522

If I were you and wanted a nice decent bedroom setup with minimum footprint....

AVR = Marantz NR1508 since it is slim and also meets the connectivity requirement.

Speakers = Telome ....copied from Bose and definitely sound much better than Bose (Jewel Cube design). I have heard these personally at their Mumbai Store and was very impressed. There are also other local manufacturers but not as crafty and good finishing like Telomes.

https://www.ooberpad.com/products/telome-pro-15ax-home-theatre-system

The choice is now yours!

Hi

Since you already have experience with Denon & HK....you can look at Marantz or Yamaha.....

HifiMart is selling the NR1508 for 34k....good deal.....

Pick the speakers from HT Store then....JBL 610 or you can choose other options....

https://htstore.in/index.php?route=product/product&path=165&product_id=522

If I were you and wanted a nice decent bedroom setup with minimum footprint....

AVR = Marantz NR1508 since it is slim and also meets the connectivity requirement.

Speakers = Telome ....copied from Bose and definitely sound much better than Bose (Jewel Cube design). I have heard these personally at their Mumbai Store and was very impressed. There are also other local manufacturers but not as crafty and good finishing like Telomes.

https://www.ooberpad.com/products/telome-pro-15ax-home-theatre-system

The choice is now yours!

I have experience with Telome as I'm using it in my home for piped music. I absolutely love the sound. My question is that when compared to Taga 506, which one will sound better according to you when paired with Marantz 1508?

Both are equally good......Taga is a new brand....4 to 5 years now in India and Telome is an established brand for the last 20+ years......i would again to clear the benefit of doubt hear both....but still i would go for the Telomes due to its sleek design ...limited footprint which looks nice in a bedroom rather than having big speakers around.........Telomes are good.....even Pulz also for that matter......

Both are equally good......Taga is a new brand....4 to 5 years now in India and Telome is an established brand for the last 20+ years......i would again to clear the benefit of doubt hear both....but still i would go for the Telomes due to its sleek design ...limited footprint which looks nice in a bedroom rather than having big speakers around.........Telomes are good.....even Pulz also for that matter......
I'm thinking the best way forward is to buy the avr and arrange demos with both the speakers with my avr. So should I go for Marantz 1508 or is there any better option for same or lesser price? How does Pioneer VSX-531 compare to Marantz 1508?

Marantz is Marantz and i have used other brands over the last 20 years +....

Have been sticking to Marantz now steadily for the last 5 years .....very happy with it (I have changed multiple models ...upgrade bug)

Marantz is known to work with almost all brands of speakers......never heard any bad comments of not matching or some challenge etc......we had a member in Bangalore who used the NR series with Dali Z7 Floor standing speakers....worked like a charm....

Marantz NR1508 always as it has advantage of wifi over Pioneer VSX-531.

How does the power output compare? It seems that Pioneer has 130W per channel output as compared to 100W per channel for Marantz.

There is a clear difference in punch and clarity....i used the Pioneer VSX520 which was the first 3D version launched.......it is nothing when compared to the NR1402 i first purchased.....immediately there was a clear difference in SQ, punch etc.....

Some AVR companies do overrate their power specs....

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/product-managing-receiver-platforms-power-ratings

There are other such articles and reviews available over Google....i rely on Audioholics, CNET, to name a few for honest opinions....

Which Avr would you suggest if I go for option 2?

Pick any inexpensive brand new AVR and save the rest for a decent subwoofer..

I would pick an used AVR from FM here, as brand new and used AVR will have the same HD codec capability.. invest the saved money on a decent 10/12 inch subwoofer..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back