5.1 system/ Sound bar in 20-30K budget - mainly for movie / TV watching

20K vs. 95K - that's a huge difference. If money's not a concern, definitely go for a high-end HT with 7.1 - 2 friends have bought the Sonos systems for 1.5L+ and love the sound there. I did not want to spend more than 20K for the sound as I'm not really an audiophile. At that budget, the RT3 sound is perfect, and the 5.1 effects keep me sufficiently amused while watching TV series on OTT (almost none of which come with 7.1 audio)!
There is plenty of Atmos content on Netflix and some on Prime/Disney+ which is 7.1

While that’s largely true, one would require a sound system as the LED ones are inadequate. I’m hoping to get a 65” LG G2 and have been facing the same difficulty of choosing something decent within the 30-35k price. I’d like to invest in a genuine HT, but require something in the meantime that’s decent enough to compliment the screen in my hall.
I’ve shortlisted the RT3, S20R, S40R, and the S500. I’m told I should go for wired speakers for better sound quality and the S20R’s wires wouldn’t cover the length of my hall (16ft). I’m getting the S500 at a good price of 29k from a trusted local seller.
Although the RT3 is a 3 yr old product, I’ve heard decent reviews about it, but not sure if it would fit my requirements well.
Like the OP, I’m not looking for a lot, just some decent surround sound to compliment the TV during movies and shows.
Ok, then you should audition sony S40R & logitech z906 (wired), as per my liking, I already have logitech X530 but it's not THX certified, but logitech z906 is THX certified, that seems to be in your price bracket,
I feel that logitech z906 will definitely outperform, then Sony.
You should audition both and then decide.
Also, Sony S40R will be great if you pair it with Sony TV .
Since you are selecting other options then Sony, Logitech makes more sense.
I hope this helps.
Regards

You might be right, just that our definition of plenty varies. To me plenty is ~> 70%.
Totally agreed, but even if my plenty is 30 or even 20%, it's still not "almost none". The point is, there is enough ott content (with more being added every month) to get an atmos setup if you can.

RT3 is good for decent sound. Not for loud banging sound. We still don't go above 50-60% of the sound as that is sufficient for our room.

Would suggest you look at the 1000W setup for a much bigger sound profile - if that's what you're looking for.
I’m not all that for thump, and I guess even a 500W setup would more than suffice my needs. It’s just the surround environment I’m looking for in a budget.
I am not an audiophile but I’d like an immersive audio experience to go with the OLED and will try to learn about AVR (and plan a budget) down the line.

I’m leaning towards the S500 and somebody told me the RT3 has been discontinued, and the 29k price of 5500 seemed tempting. Not sure if that’s an overkill still at 1000W for the 16x13 room with French windows on one side.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back