50" Panny Plasma (non-3D) Buying Help!!!

txsl.jpg

the warranty card...
i guess there are some changes from 2012 to 2013.

It is mentioned as 1+2yrs extended in the TV brochure which I have collected from brand shop from couple of weeks back. So just want to clarify.

guys,
how are you protecting the plasma from voltage fluctuation?
there are tons of threads around here discussing this, but not able to make much out of it.

Our apartment block has dc backup. and we typically loose power for a min or so before the backup kicks in. But during this switch over, i am facing a lots of fluctuation. They have eaten up countless blubs in my apartment.

For now i have connected the plasma -> stab -> ups -> main. Is this wise? the ups is a apc RS 600 model.

I think the DC changeover can cause sudden spikes. It is better to include a spike protector in your chain.

There were many threads and debate on connecting stab to UPS out

My connection is also similar with surge protector before stabilizer.
Ideally surge protector should be connected to Mains to have direct path to earth line.

Main - APC850VA Sinewave - Belkin Surge protector - Stab - TV

Color banding, just today for first time I started noticing it. First noticed it in skyfall, when bond's home explodes. And then I started seeing in more places. Can't really put my finger. Some videos are fine. Some are not. But mostly in HD source. I saw the banding when playing skyfall thru the USB. So the faulty HDMI cable is ruled out.

Is this expected?

Gradients on Panasonic Plasma | AVForums.com - UK Online

this banding seems to be expected out of this 70k INR panel!

Shades of Gradation : 6,144 gradation steps

Only st60 has more shades. this makes pretty much any plasma model that pana has for sale in india, useless.

I don't seem to catch your point of going to the extent of calling panny plasmas in india "useless".
My st50 has 12k odd gradations and I don't see any banding.
Ofcourse you can't expect 30k gradation like in vt60 or zt60 for 70k.
I feel if one is particular about smooth transitions of colours and greyscale one should try out the st60 with its 24k gradations.
Lack of smoothness of gradation is different from banding, which is a more abrupt transition.

I don't seem to catch your point of going to the extent of calling panny plasmas in india "useless".
My st50 has 12k odd gradations and I don't see any banding.
Ofcourse you can't expect 30k gradation like in vt60 or zt60 for 70k.
I feel if one is particular about smooth transitions of colours and greyscale one should try out the st60 with its 24k gradations.
Lack of smoothness of gradation is different from banding, which is a more abrupt transition.
I am not sure about banding vs abrupt transition. I see a rainbow of different shades. Some times there are more shades of them. Some times, there are just few of them.

http://ww.fuz.li/alibiagent/photo/My Pictures Dropbox/wallpapers/NewGnome/xfce/xfce-blue.jpg

This is the default ubuntu xfce wallpaper. The gradients are visible on the s60. The cheap 23 inch dell monitor is also having this issue, but is much more smoother.

Friends
I have booked and am going buy 50S60 on 13th Oct 2013. Tell me.... should I or should I not go ahead ???

Friends
I have booked and am going buy 50S60 on 13th Oct 2013. Tell me.... should I or should I not go ahead ???

2D High Definition Trailers (HD) - Demo World

There are bunch of ref videos available in the page. If you don't have any other source of your own, use these and demo it.
Demo all type of video that you watch. movies, rips, dth hd/sd etc.
Decide on 3,4 different models in your budget range and demo/compare on all of them.

Except for this not so smooth transition of shades and occasional judder(in pan shots) I didn't notice any other issues. The colours and black are pretty good. I just did a slight tweak (reduced the contrast/sharpness/colour in "cinema/true cinema" mode) and out of box it was good for me.

And yes, you need to be able to control your ambient light.

go for the 50st60 which has better blacks and colors than the 50s60....since this is going to be the last year for panasonic in india as far as plasma is concerned go for the best.....

Setup a Ubuntu dlna server. The TV picked up the stream and rendered mkv files with out a hitch. 720/1080p downloaded contents are not an issue at all. And this over a Bsnl provided 54mbps wireless router.

TV, now crossed 300/400 hours, is doing just fine. Worth the money. Except for the banding issue reported earlier, the picture quality is pretty nice. No IR or burn-in issues. Have pumped up the contrast to 80. Have actually reduced the brightness by -4. And stay on true cinema all the time. That's all the calibration I did. And I am pretty satisfied with the picture quality.

I am pretty happy with this purchase. And a big thanks to all the valuable suggestions that is all over this forum which made this possible.

Back